The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Map resources
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Map resources Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Map resources Reply with quote

I am wondering if there are any good resources for finding or making maps for things like cantinas etc
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Map resources Reply with quote

Dinger wrote:
I am wondering if there are any good resources for finding or making maps for things like cantinas etc

Welcome back, Dinger! Excellent question. I hope someone answers with good resources because I need to know too!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for something that's easily ported into roll20 or something that's good for the table?

Also, are you leaning towards a stock of high-quality maps to have on hand, or more of a map builder with elements you can drop in?
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something that translates well to the table.
My overall preference is one that lets me drop elements in to make maps (or recreate them) But just stock maps would be good enough. Trying to enhance the experience for my players (both new to the system, one of them its their first time playing a rpg)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, i've not seen any printed map packs, that could work for Starwars like cantinas.
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try fitting scans of the one from Tatooine manhunt back together, I noticed the border one one of the sections was thinner and started getting into scale issues trying to make them work, plus there is a small buffer missing from where the sections intersect and that started triggering the perfectionist in me. (Im modifying that adventure supplement to run my players through next, currently we have been doing Riders of the Maelstrom but set in the Old Republic era)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Miniatures had some map packs that I've used at the table. The most cantia-esque ones were their Tatooine map (I think it may have been Mos Eisley) and Coruscant had a caffe.

Maps of Mastery has some gorgeous options. It actually has really well thought-out design as well. If you buy a series of his maps that's meant to be multi-level of the same structure, the elevators and stairs all line up from one map to the next. Also, if there's a split-level with a gap or a balcony, it shows an out-of-focus rendering of the level below that matches up with the playable map for the next level down. You just can't beat his work.

If you're looking for something you can sink your time into and have something really good looking and customized then there are map tile packs you can get on Drive Thru RPG. You'll need photo editing software to make the magic happen, but it gives you all the tools you need if you're willing to put in the work.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/203529/Scifi-Map-Tiles

It looks fantastic, but I just don't have the time for my games when my maps may be one or two use only.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a French site with a bunch of maps and tiles with a 1" grid. The maps have locations from Tatooine, Cloud City, the Death Star, Naboo, Hoth and more. The tiles are more like mini-maps, featuring starfighters, monsters and the like.

Using editing software like Photoshop or GIMP, you could probably kitbash your own maps with the ones available.
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you all!!

When I started as GM, I found that finding maps and tiles for the adventures was difficult. So I created (collecting images from the web and from SW games) a "Tileset" for Dungeon Painter Studio. If any of you have the program in Steam, my tileset can be found in the Steam Workshop.

I leave here the link in case anyone is interested:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2079743610&searchtext=
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
Hi you all!!

When I started as GM, I found that finding maps and tiles for the adventures was difficult. So I created (collecting images from the web and from SW games) a "Tileset" for Dungeon Painter Studio. If any of you have the program in Steam, my tileset can be found in the Steam Workshop.

I leave here the link in case anyone is interested:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2079743610&searchtext=

Awesome! Thanks for the share!
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the share!

You are welcome!

When I have a bit of free-time –when? no promises (lol)–, I will try to "fix" some of the maps created with this –and other tilesets– and that I've used with my group of players in the adventures "Tatooine Manhunt", "Strike Force: Shantipole" and "Graveyard of Alderaan". To be usable by anyone, I have only to "delete" the tokens of the players, so it should be easy.

This is an example of one I did for "Strike Force: Shantipole" adventure (Minor spoilers ahead! If you have not played this adventure, do not open it): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151513975 )

Here is another one from "Tatooine Manhunt", at the end of the adventure (Minor spoilers ahead! If you have not played this adventure, do not open it): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2124440811 )
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome!

I appreciate any feedback if you find something is wrong or doesn't look well. I'm aware that in some "tiles" there is an issue with "aspect ratio". But I'm still working on it (at least, when I have a bit of free-time).
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started using Dungeon Draft. It's primarily focused on fantasy settings, but you can get some add-ons for more sci-fi/modern looks. It's very intuitive and easy to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: