The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zabrak (species stats for RAW and my system)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Zabrak (species stats for RAW and my system) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Zabrak (updated species stats) Reply with quote

Zabrak (updated species stats)

Whill wrote:
Quote:
Damage Resistance: ...If the mortally wounded Zabrak dies through receiving no medical attention or by being wounded again, the character may not use this method to avert death again.

I added this to the end of the Damage Resistance ability in the OP. The idea is, that if a Zabrak get killed and saves themselves with the FP to become mortally wounded, if they die a second time they can't just spend another FP and repeat the cycle. If the character is healed up from the mortally wounded status and then gets killed again, I would say they can save themselves again if they have another FP. But that is because the original wound that resulted in the original killed result was at least partially healed.

I changed my mind on this and removed it. A Zabrak can't keep repeating the loop indefinitely because any character will eventually run out of Force Points. If a killed Zabrak spends an FP to bump up to mortally wounded and the time runs out without medical intervention (or Force healing), they die. But if they have another FP to spend to give them more time, then I say they can use it to go back to mortally wounded. If the first time they were mortally wounded they had been stabilized and ran out of time (two hours), that doesn't matter so the new mortally wounded is status un-stabilized, meaning they have to be re-stabilized to have the max time. Whenever they slide to dead without any FPs left to spend, game over.

Quote:
Healing Factor: Zabrak possess a large degree of organ regeneration, and all healing times for Zabrak characters are halved (bacta tank, surgery recovery, or natural healing). Zabrak characters also receive a +2 bonus to all healing rolls.

I changed the bonus from +1 to +2. In my system, I updated healing rolls to be made with stamina instead of base Strength, and Zabrak get +2 to all stamina rolls which would include this use in my game. But if you want healing checks to stay base Strength and think the +2 is too much here, then you can keep it +1. With medpacs, medical droids, bacta tanks, and Force healing, natural healing rolls are pretty rare in the game anyway so it is not like this bonus will come into play that much either way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Zabrak (updated species stats) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A Zabrak character who is mortally wounded may attempt to self-stabilize by making a free with a Difficult stamina check once per round until successful.

Was just rereading this stat, and the wording of this phrase seems... awkward. I suggest a rewording along the lines of "by making a Difficult Stamina check as a Free Action once per round."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Zabrak (updated species stats) Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
A Zabrak character who is mortally wounded may attempt to self-stabilize by making a free with a Difficult stamina check once per round until successful.

Was just rereading this stat, and the wording of this phrase seems... awkward. I suggest a rewording along the lines of "by making a Difficult Stamina check as a Free Action once per round."

Thanks for catching that. It was obviously an edit that erroneously maintained a vestige of previous edit. I'm pretty sure I meant to remove the "with a" as in "by making a free Difficult stamina check once per round until successful." But your suggestion sounds good so I edited the OP as suggested. Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never thought about that. At least CPs, yes. I'm not sure about spending an FP. Maybe FP to stabilize should be yes if went straight to mortally wounded, and no if coming to mortally wounded from being killed and spending the FP. That seems fair. It further differentiates the two ways to get mortally wounded.

I was asking more on the aspect of "you can't spend CP in the same round you spend a FP"..

Whill wrote:
I see, you are asking from the perspective of, isn't this too easy? Especially since they get they get a +2 to all stamina rolls, and they get to to keep trying to stabilize every round until they do? I don't think it's too easy, but I'm not an evil GM.

There's a big difference between someone being an "Evil dm", and someone who doesn't want things to be too easy.. Just looking at the averages, to hit a 16, one needs 5d, WITHOUT any FP or CP.. SO a base 3d guy, can easily hit that with two additional CP (on the averages).. To me, that makes 'stablalization, and avoiding death rather easy to achieve...

Whill wrote:
You won't want to hear that I also adopted the D6 Space rule for the mortally wounded dice roll every round to being the character Strength instead of a flat 2D. Your average PC has a 3D strength so in my game most PCs of any species have more chances to be stabilized than in RAW.

SO not only do they get to stabalize, but they have a lot LONGER to try and do so..

Whill wrote:
I guess I should also add to the rule that if you are mortally wounded after boosting up from killed and you take more damage, then they are dead with no further option for FPs. For Maul, I already worked out that there is a depth of water at the bottom the reactor shaft, so he didn't go splat...

Falling 70ft + ONTO water, would still cause damage at least equaling wounding.. SO he SHOULD still have taken more damage and go splat..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Falling 70ft + ONTO water, would still cause damage at least equaling wounding.. SO he SHOULD still have taken more damage and go splat..

Maul is always going to be a special case on account of his Force skills. Honestly, I'm surprised there's no SWU equivalent of Featherfall for Force Sensitives to reduce falling damage; it seems an obvious evolution of basic TK.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zabrak (updated species stats) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...Thanks!

Any time.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Maul is always going to be a special case on account of his Force skills. Honestly, I'm surprised there's no SWU equivalent of Featherfall for Force Sensitives to reduce falling damage; it seems an obvious evolution of basic TK.

Maybe that's what Annie and obiwan used in Attack of the clones!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Good point! Anakin had to have done something to drop from several hundred meters up onto a moving speeder. Also, Mace Windu's jump from the VIP box down to the arena is a likely candidate.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

There was an episode of The Clone Wars, Landing at Point Rain, where Anakin and Ahsoka destroy a wall to continue their assault on Geonosis. After dropping explosives, Rex is Force-pushed over the side and the Jedi soar passed the screaming clone commander. At the last moment the Jedi flip and Force-push Iron Man-style to land on the ground. Rex is then caught with telekinesis and lowered safely to the ground.

garhkal wrote:

Obi-wan fell quite a distance in the Phantom Menace during the duel with Maul, even hitting the platform on his shoulder before rolling off and didn't seemed phased or shrug it off. In Revenge of the Sith he and the varactyl fall even farther down into a pool of water without so much as a scratch.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're not talking about Zabrak any more, I started a separate topic.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Falling 70ft + ONTO water, would still cause damage at least equaling wounding.. SO he SHOULD still have taken more damage and go splat.

I don't know where you got that figure from, but in the world high diving championships on Earth, men and woman both dive from the height without being wounded. A belly flop from that height could kill, but it is possible to go into the water more smoothly, without suffering further wounds...

RyanDarkstar wrote:
In Revenge of the Sith he and the varactyl fall even farther down into a pool of water without so much as a scratch.

Thank you! Great example!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Maul is always going to be a special case on account of his Force skills.

Indeed. As I stated up in the thread, a normal Zabrak still wouldn't have survived what happened to Maul. For it work out, it was a combination of factors.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Honestly, I'm surprised there's no SWU equivalent of Featherfall for Force Sensitives to reduce falling damage; it seems an obvious evolution of basic TK...

Mace Windu's jump from the VIP box down to the arena is a likely candidate...

Since we're not talking about Zabrak any more, I started a separate topic.

Cool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
...mortally wounded Zabrak can self-stabilize if they make a stamina roll (they can try once per round).

So can they pop off another FP (or use CP) on that stabilization roll?

I never thought about that. At least CPs, yes. I'm not sure about spending an FP. Maybe FP to stabilize should be yes if went straight to mortally wounded, and no if coming to mortally wounded from being killed and spending the FP. That seems fair. It further differentiates the two ways to get mortally wounded.

I was asking more on the aspect of "you can't spend CP in the same round you spend a FP".

You can't spend a CP the same round as an FP, but you wouldn't need to. The mortally wounded rule states that if the stabilization roll is less than the number of rounds that the character has been mortally wounded, the character dies. That means that even by RAW when you are rolling a flat 2D to see if the person dies, the minimum roll is 2 which means you could not die until at least three rounds after becoming mortally wounded. So if you wanted to spend a CP (or another FP) to stabilize after being mortally wounded, you wouldn't have to do it the same round you are mortally wounded.

garhkal wrote:
There's a big difference between someone being an "Evil dm", and someone who doesn't want things to be too easy.. Just looking at the averages, to hit a 16, one needs 5d, WITHOUT any FP or CP.. SO a base 3d guy, can easily hit that with two additional CP (on the averages).. To me, that makes 'stablalization, and avoiding death rather easy to achieve..

Remember, stabilization just means the 'could die any round' death clock stops. A stabilized character is still mortally wounded and they will still die if they don't get medical attention soon. Stabilization doesn't matter if there is no one there to save you. In addition to Maul having the Force, I still had to add someone down there to "save Maul" (a Sith-owned droid).

I don't feel my Zabrack rules makes it too easy to survive death. For the reasons I stated, I feel Zabrak characters should have a slightly better chance to survive death than other species. This species package is balanced with my other PC species. Other species have advantages Zabrak don't have.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
You won't want to hear that I also adopted the D6 Space rule for the mortally wounded dice roll every round to being the character Strength instead of a flat 2D. Your average PC has a 3D strength so in my game most PCs of any species have more chances to be stabilized than in RAW.

SO not only do they get to stabalize, but they have a lot LONGER to try and do so.

I said you wouldn't want to hear it. I called it! But this was just me adopting a D6 Space rule, which was the natural evolution of the Star Wars game system. Stronger, healthier characters should be able to survive being mortally wounded slightly longer. Also, keep in mind that this rule means that weak 1D STR characters on average have less time than SW RAW before they die. PCs are less than 0.0000000001% of all characters in the galaxy, so the average PC having an average of a few more rounds to survive being mortally wounded hardly upsets anything. PCs are the main characters of the story, which are why they start out above average.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Falling 70ft + ONTO water, would still cause damage at least equaling wounding.. SO he SHOULD still have taken more damage and go splat.

I don't know where you got that figure from, but in the world high diving championships on Earth, men and woman both dive from the height without being wounded. A belly flop from that height could kill, but it is possible to go into the water more smoothly, without suffering further wounds...

The current record for the highest dive (per the Guinness Book) is 58.8m (192 ft. 10 in.). That's over 2.5 times more than 70 ft, without the use of the Force.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Good point! Anakin had to have done something to drop from several hundred meters up onto a moving speeder. Also, Mace Windu's jump from the VIP box down to the arena is a likely candidate.

That windu jump from that box, was barely 20ft or so up. Not that difficult for someone with good strength.
Heck even at 30ft, that's barely 2d falling damage based on the fact, that in SW, falling damage is in meters..

Whill wrote:
You can't spend a CP the same round as an FP, but you wouldn't need to. The mortally wounded rule states that if the stabilization roll is less than the number of rounds that the character has been mortally wounded, the character dies. That means that even by RAW when you are rolling a flat 2D to see if the person dies, the minimum roll is 2 which means you could not die until at least three rounds after becoming mortally wounded. So if you wanted to spend a CP (or another FP) to stabilize after being mortally wounded, you wouldn't have to do it the same round you are mortally wounded.

Thanks, that is what i was trying to clarify..

Whill wrote:

Maybe i should have used meters.. Not feet.

Whill wrote:
I don't feel my Zabrack rules makes it too easy to survive death. For the reasons I stated, I feel Zabrak characters should have a slightly better chance to survive death than other species. This species package is balanced with my other PC species. Other species have advantages Zabrak don't have.

How does it NOT make it easy?? They can practically (as long as they have Force points) auto shift from dead to MW, then can cause of their awesomeness of healing, stabalize so anyone can get them into a bacta tank/use a med pack within two hours.. How is that NOT making it easy for them to survive death?
AND that's on TOP of more than likely having a good strength, so its LESS likely they even DIE in the first place..

Whill wrote:
I said you wouldn't want to hear it. I called it! But this was just me adopting a D6 Space rule, which was the natural evolution of the Star Wars game system. Stronger, healthier characters should be able to survive being mortally wounded slightly longer. Also, keep in mind that this rule means that weak 1D STR characters on average have less time than SW RAW before they die. PCs are less than 0.0000000001% of all characters in the galaxy, so the average PC having an average of a few more rounds to survive being mortally wounded hardly upsets anything. PCs are the main characters of the story, which are why they start out above average.

It almost seems to me, like you might just as well remove 'death' as a potential option FOr the damage chart then...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Zabrak (species stats for my system) Reply with quote

Go back to the OP

Quote:
Zabrak

Singular: Zabrak
Adjective: zabrakian
Language: Zabraki
Homeworlds: Iridonia and several other major colonies
Species Type: genetically engineered near-humans
Size: 1.8 / 1.5-2.1 meters
Move: 11/13
Average Total ATTRIBUTE DICE: 14D
Code:
      AVERAGE    MIN/MAX
  DEX:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  KNO:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  MEC:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  PER:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  STR:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  TEC:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Male Characters: All male Zabrak characters receive a +2 bonus to all lifting/exertion rolls. Male Zabrak PCs suffer a -2 penalty to one of the following Perception skills, to be chosen by the player during character generation: command/leadership, con/deception, bargaining, gaming/gambling, or persuasion/charm.
Resilient and Resolute: All Zabrak characters receive a +2 bonus to all survival, willpower, and stamina/endurance checks.
Damage Resistance: Zabrak have two hearts and other physiological redundancies. This provides a +1 bonus to all damage resistance rolls. A Zabrak character who is mortally wounded may attempt to self-stabilize by making a Difficult stamina/endurance check as a free action once per round. Another character may also attempt to stabilize the Zabrak at the same time. Once stabilized by either method, the Zabrak character will survive if they receive successful medical intervention within two hours. With GM discretion, a Zabrak character who is killed may spend a Force Point to postpone death. This use of a Force Point is considered unheroic. Instead of dying, the Zabrak character becomes mortally wounded. If the Zabrak survives, the character will be maimed with a permanent injury, the specifics and effects of which to be determined by the GM.
Healing Factor: Zabrak possess a large degree of organ regeneration, and all healing times for Zabrak characters are halved (bacta tank, surgery recovery, or natural healing).

Here are the Zabrak stats for my house system. There are only a few difference from the RAW stats in the OP of this thread. The skill names come from my skill list. As mentioned earlier in the thread, in my damage system all healing rolls are made with stamina/endurance instead of base Strength, so the healing factor doesn't have the +2 of the RAW stats because the healing roll bonus is a part of all stamina/endurance bonus.

Also as discussed in the thread, these same stats could also apply to Dathomirians, whether the GM views them are a hybrid species (of Zabrak and humans) as in Legends, or a specific Zabrak race as in Canon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: