The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sequencing WEG-Published Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Sequencing WEG-Published Adventures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Sequencing WEG-Published Adventures Reply with quote

In your experience as a GM, which WEG-published adventures flow best with regards to other adventures? As in, depending on how the story concludes, which adventures seem the best fit for your group to try next?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sequencing WEG-Published Adventures Reply with quote

Raven made a thread about this last December, although it only had one reply (from me). That I can think of, the only explicit sequences are:
    Crisis on Cloud City is a sequel to Starfall.

Otherspace was meant to take place after two prior adventures, Tatooine Manhunt and Strikeforce: Shantipole (but I don't think the order of those two matter). Otherspace II: Invasion is obviously a sequel to Otherspace.

CRMcNeill wrote:
In your experience as a GM, which WEG-published adventures flow best with regards to other adventures? As in, depending on how the story concludes, which adventures seem the best fit for your group to try next?

I've ran several of the adventures in multiple campaigns in different orders, so from my experience as GM I don't think there is one single best adventure. The adventure "modules" are just that. They were designed to be inserted in a GM's campaign anywhere he sees fit. That could vary greatly depending on the campaign. In my experience, all campaigns have homebrew adventures and modules just come in here and there. For example...

I have a nearly finished campaign plan for the campaign I'm preparing. The base skeleton of the campaign is the Minos Cluster Campaign from GG6. The five adventures in it are sequential but the GM is expected to flesh it out with his own adventures. It gives a dozen adventure hooks but adventures made from them are mostly able to sequenced in any order (it is noted when something else should have happened first). This time, they are in a different order than the first time I ran the Minor Cluster Campaign.

This time, I'm sprinkling in a lot of adventures made from the Elrood Sector adventure hooks (from Planets of the Galaxy, Vol. 3/The Star Wars Planets Collection), but those aren't part of any campaign so there isn't any metaplot and they can be run in any order. I'm also including the three adventures from Operation: Elrood which will be after all the Elrood adventure hook adventures, towards the end of the campaign.

Some of the adventures are made from multiple adventure hooks combined into a single adventures, and my own ideas. I'll also be including the following adventure modules: Scavenger Hunt and Graveyard of Alderaan (back-to-back in the first third of the campaign), Starfall and Crisis on Cloud City (back-to-back in the middle third of the campaign), and Riders of the Maelstrom (in the final third of the campaign). All but the last module all get the PCs out of the Minos and Elrood sectors (a few others will as well).

The first two adventures tie into the first Death Star because the second Death Star will be instrumental to the campaign's last two adventures. I've tied Crisis on Cloud City into TESB by having it take place during the film.The adventure climax is right before the Empire comes, and Lando puts the PCs in the security tower until Lobot later lets them free to make room for the stormtroopers, and the PCs have to escape Bespin "offscreen" from the film heroes. A PC and a droid will leave Cloud City in Luke's X-wing that he left on Cloud City, and a few adventures later will be the Minos Cluster meta-adventure "The Eliad Connection" which features Princess Leia, and she will leave Minos in Luke's X-Wing, so Luke will get his original X-Wing back. Crisis on Cloud City will also tie into a later adventure where the Force PC's master will sacrifice himself to save Luke from Vader, so the heroes will see Vader and Luke from a distance, and be partially responsible for helping Luke escape (separately from them). I'm retooling Riders of the Maelstrom to take place between the home sectors with the two Moffs of these sectors appearing in the adventure to make it part of the campaign's metaplot.

After the last campaign adventure in GG6, the actual final adventure will take the heroes and a main antagonist of the campaign (the Imperial Scout who deemed Endor a suitable site for Death Star construction) to the Forest Moon where they will fight in the Battle of Endor, but at the shield generator itself (the movie showed the action at and near the shield bunker which was a ways away from the generator). If the heroes succeed, then they make Han's actions to destroy the shield generator in the film possible. If the heroes fail, then the Rebels will lose the Battle of Endor.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds incredible Whill! It's particularly cool how you're tying in two of the adventures to the events of films and can affect those stories! I think your players will love this - I know mine would!

Out of interest, will you be sharing your work on here for other GMs to use as a resource? I know that the Minos Cluster campaign is something I'd be very interested in running after our Green Vipers campaign concludes (not that there are any plans to conclude that soon).

Even though you are incorporating a few of the published adventures into your campaign, do you see these as essential to the overall story? (I ask because I have plans to run all of the adventures you mentioned in my Green Vipers campaign.)
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll share about the campaign. The only one of those 1e adventure modules that is absolutely essential to the campaign is Riders of the Maelstrom because I am tweaking it to make it more personal to the story. In the published adventure as is, it's on the other side of the galaxy. Two moffs of consecutive sectors have a clandestine meeting on a cruise ship traveling the nebula between the sectors to discuss the pirate and rebel problem they are having. (They have been lying on reports to the Empire to minimize the appearance of the problem.) The two sectors are not that important in the grand scheme of things. The campaign mainly takes place in two consecutive sectors (Minos and Elrood), so I thought I could repurpose it to be about the campaign. So I'll change the ship and moff names, and maybe import some NPCs from the campaign.

The main character of the campaign is a Force-sensitive Ewok teen. The campaign will start and end on the Forest Moon of Endor. A couple years before ANH, the Ewok's father (the chieftain of their tribe) gets abducted by an Imperial scout/scientist/noble who works for Director Krennik and is looking for a suitable site to move the first Death Star to (from Geonosis) to finish construction. He took members of some of the sentient species from the moon to study for any possible resistance, being overconfident that the primitive species would be no threat. However two of the captives escape from an imperial base (one being the PC's father). The scout was worried that the Krennik or his superiors would find out about his blunder so he fakes the reports (including fake dissections). The Imp thought he was in the clear when they decided to move the DS1 to Scarif, but a couple years later that DS was destroyed and a second one was being constructed, so the Empire decided to use the Forest Moon and the Imp was a project leader in constructing the shield generator and bunker. The Imp secretly hired bounty hunters to find the escaped captives or any species of the Forest Moon that may be out in the galaxy.

Before the Empire came to Endor, the PC got his chance to leave with a smuggler captain so works as a member of his crew while searching for his any leads to find his father. Once he finds his father, they can return to Endor. Scavenger Hunt and Graveyard of Alderaan deal with the first DS and its destruction of Alderaan, which are important in that the PC will be involved in the battle to destroy the second Death Star. Starfall leads into Crisis on Cloud City, which will be important for the reasons I mentioned above. One of the Ewok PC's masters will be a former Jedi Knight who was also a temporary master of Luke Skywalker in between TESB and RotJ (which in my mind helps explain Luke's increase in abilities without having returned to Dagobah). I've thought up a way to run Starfall up to three times (for three separate groups that are separately working their way through the victory SD). This campaign's heroes will be the first but the others would be played in the future but taking place at the same time as the first group (The groups will not run into each other and Walex will only be with the first group). Honestly, Crisis on Cloud City could be run without Starfall first but I've run them back-to-back in prior campaigns so it works, and Starfall is a fun adventure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to hearing how it all goes when it gets underway. Repeating what I said above, it sounds superb! I'd struggle to get a player to take on the Ewok character as it is the one template which have received a lot of derision, but I applaud the thoughtful and interesting way that you're approaching this!

I have potentially two rival pirate operations operating in the Fakir Sector so I had been thinking of adapting Riders of the Maelstrom to those, but that's some way off - so putting it to one side wouldn't be a problem to keep it for the Minos/Elrood campaign.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like how you're tying in these adventures to your campaign, Whill, especially how you're making your PCs really involved in the main action in the galaxy, just a bit removed.

Starfall is the only one of these adventures I've run before, and it is a great one. I had no idea it had a sequel.

I'd love it if any of you with more knowledge about any of these published adventures could recommend any that take place around the time of (or before) A New Hope, as that's where my current campaign is, timeline-wise.
Matt_76
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, Game Chambers of Questal is a sequel to the Rebel Breakout adventure in the 1st Edition Main Book.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt_76 wrote:
In addition, Game Chambers of Questal is a sequel to the Rebel Breakout adventure in the 1st Edition Main Book.

Quite right. IIRC, the Rebel agent and his droid (NPCs) from Rebel Breakout appear in Game Chambers of Questal, and there may even be a reference back to that 1e core adventure. It's been a long time since I opened up that module, perhaps when I last ran it over 20 years ago.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: