The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Old" Jho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> "Old" Jho
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: "Old" Jho Reply with quote

Open to suggestions on how to make "Old" Jho better.

Quote:
Old Jho (As of "Empire Day")
Type: Ithorian Cantina Owner
DEXTERITY 2D
Blaster 3D+1, dodge 3D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Alien species 3D+2, bartending 4D, business 4D+2, cultures 3D+2, grav-ball 4D+2, streetwise: Lothal 4D
MECHANICAL 3D
Repulsorlift operation 3D+2, space transports 3D+2, starship gunnery 3D+1
PERCEPTION 3D
Bargain 4D, con 5D, gambling 3D+2, investigation 4D, search 5D
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 2D
Equipment repair 3D+1, first aid 3D, space transport repair 3D
Character Points: 5
Move: 10
Equipment: Hunting blaster rifle (4D+1), Ithorian translator (Galactic basic 10D), Old Jho's Pit Stop, freighter hauler with "iffy" hyperdrive.
Source: Emperor Ollie with suggestions by Pietre Valbuena

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Old" Jho Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Open to suggestions on how to make "Old" Jho better.
Source: Emperor Ollie with suggestions by Pietre Valbuena

When I watched TBoBF I had forgotten that Rebels had an Ithorian with a translator, so they couldn't physically speak Basic there either.

Does he not even understand Basic, so the translator unit has to not only translate his Ithorian language to Basic when speaking to others, but it also has translate Basic to Ithorian when Basic is spoken to him? I would presume he understands Basic but just can't speak it, so the translation only has to go one way. Either way, the translator unit would have to also understand his native language to be able to translate Ithorian to Basic.

The character's own Language skill is base attribute 3D, so I'm not sure what the translator unit having 10D in Galactic Basic is supposed to represent. 10D would be an unnecessarily high language value since he could only communicate concepts at a 3D level in his own language. Having a language fluency can occur at any die code value, but fluency comes automatically with skill specializations at the 5D value, so I would presume that most commercial translation products like this would be at the 5D value level as that would cover most communication bases anyway.

It is made for Ithorian heads so I would keep the Ithorian in the name of the tech. For simplicity's sake, and to avoid having to document language fluencies, I would probably document it this way:

Ithorian translator (Galactic basic 10D) --> " Ithorian translator (Ithorian 5D, Galactic Basic 5D) "
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only translates the programmed language, in this case Ithorese, to galactic basic. It does not translate in the reverse. Jho indeed understands basic, but like many sentiments, is unable to speak basic and many other languages, because of his physical makeup. I can certainly see reducing the translator die to 5D.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the Ithorian Species traits, I think for how little time this minor character has on screen, you've made a solid set of stats for this guy.

Also, thanks for posting these less prominent characters, shootingwomprats.

I feel these kind of characters are more easily used by GM's for in game purposes than all the big named ones.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
With the exception of the Ithorian Species traits, I think for how little time this minor character has on screen, you've made a solid set of stats for this guy.

Also, thanks for posting these less prominent characters, shootingwomprats.

I feel these kind of characters are more easily used by GM's for in game purposes than all the big named ones.

Thank you for the recognition. When doing sourcebooks I try to be as complete as possible when it comes to characters. Obi-Wan Kenobi was pretty easy. I enjoyed making stats for Own, Beru and Nari for sure.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Thank you for the recognition. When doing sourcebooks I try to be as complete as possible when it comes to characters

No worries man, I don't think you get enough credit for all the great stuff you put out here. Doids Source Book is great by the way Smile

shootingwomprats wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi was pretty easy. I enjoyed making stats for Own, Beru and Nari for sure.

Oh, you've been doing Obi-Wan series stats, cool. Are they online somewhere yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: