The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Quests?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Lightsaber Quests? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! It's just came back to me that in my last campaign (set 5BBY-0BBY), the PCs were taught by Obi-Wan on Tatooine, but went to Ilum to source Khyber Crystals - and, although Ilum had literally been broken in two by space slugs (the Empire had used the slugs to eat most of the Khyber crystals on Ilum), there was a vault in amongst the shattered remains, inside which was plenty of crystals and a Jedi who remained there as custodian for future Jedi...
Mace Windu!*

As our latest campaign still operates in the same universe, the Jedi character will be able to learn the force from Windu. He just needs to discover that Ilum is the place to go for Khyber crystals...

*This was inspired by some fan art which showed Windu looking old and having a mechanical arm after his supposed demise on Coruscant. A month or two after his brief appearance in the game, George Lucas revealed that he and Samuel L.Jackson believed that Windu had survived, so it didn't feel like I was breaking canon...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
*This was inspired by some fan art which showed Windu looking old and having a mechanical arm after his supposed demise on Coruscant. A month or two after his brief appearance in the game, George Lucas revealed that he and Samuel L.Jackson believed that Windu had survived, so it didn't feel like I was breaking canon...

Sounds fine to me - after all, if they can officially have Darth Maul survive being cut in half and a fall of unknown height for months without medical care to be patched up by nomads in a junkyard then Indy can totally survive a nuclear explosion in a fridge.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops... may have gotten sidetracked there.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapani sector campaign.

While not lightsabers pr say, the lightfoild is of similar techinology.
I have incorporated lightsabers to be gained through quests by any jedi character, mostly by finding the right components, base roughly on the 3-4 parts gathered in KOTOR 1-2.

But as for the lightsabers I think most adventure modules related are mentioned, I just felt that since it is in the smae "spehere" I wanted to include the lightfoil and thus mention the imo very good tapani sector campaign
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Tapani sector campaign.

While not lightsabers pr say, the lightfoild is of similar techinology.
I have incorporated lightsabers to be gained through quests by any jedi character, mostly by finding the right components, base roughly on the 3-4 parts gathered in KOTOR 1-2.

But as for the lightsabers I think most adventure modules related are mentioned, I just felt that since it is in the smae "spehere" I wanted to include the lightfoil and thus mention the imo very good tapani sector campaign

Thanks Mamatried! I did float the general premise of the Tapani Sector, Darkstryder and the Minos Cluster campaigns with my group but they wanted to play the classic era Rebel adventures, so I will keep your suggestion in reserve for future should Tapani be a campaign we visit then!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be running Scavenger Hunt next and looking for advice about a music cue. When Vader appears, should I play either The Imperial March or The Magic Tree? I feel The Magic Tree is more fitting, but as the players are meant to believe it might be Vader (and I will call for Initiative), I'm wondering if the former might be more appropriate?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about toss a spanner.. Play the rebel theme!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the alternate Imperial Theme from Rogue One if you have the soundtrack. Or the piece with Vader in the dark hallway...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

lol. The Rebel Fanfare motif? Great tune, but not really the right mood for that scene.

The Bissler wrote:
I'm going to be running Scavenger Hunt next and looking for advice about a music cue. When Vader appears, should I play either The Imperial March or The Magic Tree? I feel The Magic Tree is more fitting, but as the players are meant to believe it might be Vader (and I will call for Initiative), I'm wondering if the former might be more appropriate?
Raven Redstar wrote:
There's also the alternate Imperial Theme from Rogue One if you have the soundtrack. Or the piece with Vader in the dark hallway...

"Imperial March" is iconic. Being Vader's theme, it is certainly thematically appropriate for the Vader's closet scene, but I feel it depends on how else you use this theme. Sine Vader almost never appears in my game, I use "Imperial March" a lot to represent the Empire in general when the mood of the theme fits the game. If you already use Imperial March, I don't think that would be the best theme for this scene.

The beginning of "Hope" from RO is epic and probably a better choice for this scene than "Imperial March". The alternate Imperial theme from RO (showcased in "The Imperial Suite") is the most memorable new theme from that film and was definitely inspired by Imperial March, but it is also Krennic's theme, so I feel this theme works for Empire in general but not specifically Vader, so I wouldn't recommend that one.

I've ran this adventure multiple times and always used "The Magic Tree" for Vader's closet. The beginning of it has a spooky mood that captures the feel of exploring the dark Death Star remains. And it is closest to what is happening in the adventure. Luke is exploring a dark and creepy place and believes Vader suddenly appears before him. You can start it at the right point and read the description for opening the closet so it it timed for the music to get frantic at just the right moment. Just practice the reading a few times with the music a few times to get it down. I'm planning on running this adventure one more time, and "The Magic Tree" has always been a success so I'm not going to change what has worked well for me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

lol. The Rebel Fanfare motif? Great tune, but not really the right mood for that scene.

The Bissler wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

"Imperial March" is iconic. Being Vader's theme, it is certainly thematically appropriate for the Vader's closet scene, but I feel it depends on how else you use this theme. Sine Vader almost never appears in my game, I use "Imperial March" a lot to represent the Empire in general when the mood of the theme fits the game. If you already use Imperial March, I don't think that would be the best theme for this scene.

The beginning of "Hope" from RO is epic and probably a better choice for this scene than "Imperial March". The alternate Imperial theme from RO (showcased in "The Imperial Suite") is the most memorable new theme from that film and was definitely inspired by Imperial March, but it is also Krennic's theme, so I feel this theme works for Empire in general but not specifically Vader, so I wouldn't recommend that one.

I've ran this adventure multiple times and always used "The Magic Tree" for Vader's closet. The beginning of it has a spooky mood that captures the feel of exploring the dark Death Star remains. And it is closest to what is happening in the adventure. Luke is exploring a dark and creepy place and believes Vader suddenly appears before him. You can start it at the right point and read the description for opening the closet so it it timed for the music to get frantic at just the right moment. Just practice the reading a few times with the music a few times to get it down. I'm planning on running this adventure one more time, and "The Magic Tree" has always been a success so I'm not going to change what has worked well for me.

Excellent, it sounds like my initial idea was the best so I'll run with "The Magic Tree". I appreciate the other suggestions and I'll pick up the Rogue One soundtrack sometime soon! Thanks all!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll also add in a mini-dream sequence for Corr (the force user) when he picks up Obi-Wan's lightsaber, something a little like when Rey picks up Luke's. Still to work out the details on that, but thinking about it!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
I think I'll also add in a mini-dream sequence for Corr (the force user) when he picks up Obi-Wan's lightsaber, something a little like when Rey picks up Luke's. Still to work out the details on that, but thinking about it!

Good idea.

The Bissler wrote:
I appreciate the other suggestions and I'll pick up the Rogue One soundtrack sometime soon! Thanks all!

It's great.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:

Will that be automatic, she gets it? OR will you at least have her try a sense or other roll, to see if she gets it?
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The Bissler wrote:

Will that be automatic, she gets it? OR will you at least have her try a sense or other roll, to see if she gets it?

No, it won't be automatic as the scenario requires a successful Moderate Search roll to find it. However, I added a very big hint at the end of the Rebels of Chayloon mission three weeks ago - the Mah-Ta Priest told him "It is often in the darkest and unlikeliest of places that paradise is truly found." Note: the system they are headed to is literally called Paradise!

If he doesn't find it, I can't say it was my fault! (He doesn't have Sense yet, only Control at 1D as he wanted the Concentration skill.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True you gave the 'chedder'. If he doesn't make a grilled cheese with it, that's not on you..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: