The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Our Mantle Has Never Looked Better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Our Mantle Has Never Looked Better Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Our Mantle Has Never Looked Better Reply with quote

I decided to get the Micro Collection out and do up the mantle with it, and yes, let the kids play with it. I filled most of the mantle with all the Hoth sets and we might clear the rest of it for Bespin... dunno yet... I am on the fence about them playing with the Micro Collection Falcon. It's a bit pricey.

https://imgur.com/uy5PEAx

https://imgur.com/4s5EY9z

https://imgur.com/3IiqcA8

I think in half a day, I got more value from these objects than in all the other time I've owned them combined. Course, any figures I have duplicates of, the kids only get to play with the one with the worst surviving paintjob! Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Pricey? I thought you said all toys were meant to be played with. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Gather round kids, while I tell ye the legend of the Micro Collection Millenium Falcon.

First, it was in the top 3 "coveted and never even laid eyes on one" toys for my own childhood.

It's also among the rarest Kenner toys. It was part of an aborted "wave 2" for Micro Collection. The Millenium Falcon, and the Rebel Armored Snowspeeder, were put into those little catalogs Kenner gave out inside toy boxes. But they were only given a very limited release. JC Penney got the snowspeeder as an exclusive for Christmas. The Falcon was a Sears CATALOG exclusive. They were gonna be made non-exclusive after that Christmas.

But then, the Micro line was cancelled due to poor sales. It was basically a victim of timing (1982), and growing competition from He-Man and GI Joe. Boxed examples of Falcons can go for thousands today. As if it weren't bad enough that the iconic Falcon was out of reach for Micro fans, it was the only set to get R2, 3PO, or a "normal" Han Solo. In the other sets he was always in a parka, stormtrooper armor, or was bound for carbonite.

Luckily, today the Falcon's figures are not nearly as rare as the Falcon itself. Kenner was left with thousands of extra Micro figures when the line abruptly ended. They were blown out in a C3PO's cereal mail in offer, sold individually at the Star Tours gift shop in CA, and otherwise gotten rid of.

I snagged a big lot of Micro "junk" on eBay which included a mostly stripped Falcon chassis. It's pretty great. However the plastic from my example is also rather brittle and such. And besides, I know my 3 year old will only complain that the ramp, canopy, etc. are missing. He's going through that OCD phase that all toddlers have.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Mantle Has Never Looked Better Reply with quote

Cool.

TauntaunScout wrote:
https://imgur.com/uy5PEAx

https://imgur.com/4s5EY9z

https://imgur.com/3IiqcA8

The mantel does look great though!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the coolest things about the Micro Falcon was the fact this was the only Falcon with both sets of quad-lasers. All other releases only had the dorsal cannons.

It also had a functional top hatch so Lando could rescue Luke.

The only problem with the Han Solo was his pose - he had a weird squat so he can fit in the cockpit.

Still, it's a great collectible. I love my Death Star, Hoth, and Bespin Worlds.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
One of the coolest things about the Micro Falcon was the fact this was the only Falcon with both sets of quad-lasers. All other releases only had the dorsal cannons.
Still, it's a great collectible. I love my Death Star, Hoth, and Bespin Worlds.

Have you got a Micro Falcon?

I always thought the Han pose was fine. He also looked like he's dodging falling ice chunks in the race to get to the Falcon.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

No, sadly just one of the pieces. I do have the Micro Machines Millennium Falcon Playset.

TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

No, sadly just one of the pieces. I do have the Micro Machines Millennium Falcon Playset.[/img]

Which piece?

Does the Micro Machines one scale well to Micro Collection figures?

We are restoring a Micro TIE fighter. Took two broken ones and made a complete one. Now to order replacement stickers. I thought I'd have to track down a pilot but one of the b0rkened ones surprisingly came with a pilot who wasn't pictured in the eBay listing.

https://imgur.com/qYQISUn

It was tricky removing the wings to swap them around!

Recently picked up an unpainted Chewbacca from the unreleased Bespin Torture Chamber set. I don't think they're all that rare but I was still pretty psyched to get it. Here he is, next to some of the Bespin Freeze Chamber figs.

https://imgur.com/SxiM1pJ
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Which piece?

One of the quads, I think. It was in a lot I won on Ebay a while ago.

Quote:
Does the Micro Machines one scale well to Micro Collection figures?

The playset is pretty flat, so I think it might work. I'll have to search around for it and get a proper picture. The Micro Machine figures are considerably shorter, though slightly taller than the battle droid pictured below, closer to WEG scale.

Quote:
We are restoring a Micro TIE fighter.

Very nice. Are you getting the original stickers with battle-damage? I settled on the Action Fleet TIE, though a do have the body of the Battle-Damaged X-wing from the Micro Collection. It has seen action as an objective marker for Miniature Battles.

Quote:
Recently picked up an unpainted Chewbacca from the unreleased Bespin Torture Chamber set.

Ooo, that's nice. I watch a lot of Retroblasting on YouTube and found out about the unreleased sets. The Torture Chamber would have been a great addition to Bespin World.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably buy repro stickers for the wings. And maybe a repro box.

I'll trade ya something for the quad cannon! I am missing one. My Falcon was from a large lot and it needs a quad cannon, ramp, canopy, and roof! Technically it also need a new gunners seat before I can attach the second cannon.

I found out about the unproduced sets when I was a teenager from a collector magazine. I never thought I'd own anything from them. To see me now! Queuing 4 Yorkshire Men...
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked around and couldn't find the quad. I did find an extra turbolaser for a Death Star World, so I may have misremembered the quad or lost it (I buy a ton of stuff on Ebay).

Here are some pictures of the Micro Machines Millennium Falcon playset with mixed figures (Micro Collection [MC], Micro Machines [MM], and WotC). I forgot to include WEG minis, but they're about the same size at the Micro Machine figures. [click to enlarge]

MC Vader and Luke dwarf MM Obi-Wan and Vader, while MC Snowtroopers and MC Hoth Troopers cover each other with a MM AT-ST walks passed. MM Han stares from the cockpit at MC Han, Leia and Chewie as MM Biggs commands the not-quad above MM General Calrissian and Boba Fett.

The playset closed up with three size groups: MC (right), MM (center) and WotC (right).

Another close-up of the three scales.

While the playset/ship works/looks best with the smaller figures, it's nice enough with the larger Micro Collection and WotC figures. It also takes up far less real estate on the table at ~13 inches closed than appropriately scaled vehicles. This is a blessing when you have 4+ players at the table with notebooks, dice and character sheets.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the grim darkness of micro sized Star Wars toys, there is only awesomeness.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Hoo boy. This is getting bad. I am starting to collect unreleased and preproduction Micro Collection pieces. This is what happens when we're all stuck at home this long.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Hoo boy. This is getting bad. I am starting to collect unreleased and preproduction Micro Collection pieces. This is what happens when we're all stuck at home this long.

I sympathize. My collection of WotC and Imperial Assault Star Wars miniatures doubled and my D&D minis quadrupled thanks to time-off for COVID. I rationalized it as helping small businesses, but my wife suspects differently.

I look forward to seeing those unreleased and preproduction pieces.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groups 7 and 10 will stay behind to fly the speeders...

https://imgur.com/9B1XcYo

Chewbacca from the unreleased Bespin Torture Chamber set. After painting he would've had a plastic backpack glued on (like the plastic weapons some Micro figures have) and the set was going to come with a destroyed 3PO who fit into the backpack. It was also supposed to have Han with his hands tied up (but in his blue jacket! Sooooo different from what we got in the freeze chamber, eyeroll emojification), an ugnaught, and 2 Bespin guards.

https://imgur.com/SxiM1pJ

I also have a 21B on the way, from the unreleased Hoth Bacta Tank set. Here's the pic from the seller.

https://imgur.com/VSpdpLF

And my Marx dinosaur collecting is getting really unhealthy. I have bought the original, one of a kind, clay master sculptures from which the woolly mammoth and saber tooth tiger molds were made.

https://imgur.com/ltReUv2

https://imgur.com/jUOn0wy

https://imgur.com/Vp49Th3

I have an offer in on another unproduced Kenner micro fig and a pre-production "4 Up" test paint, but I haven't heard back. I've also sent out an email to the owner of some of the Marx dino scenery molds to see if he'll part with them. None of the actual dinosaur animal molds are known to exist today. They were last verified in the 90's I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: