The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DVD's wearing out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> DVD's wearing out?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: DVD's wearing out? Reply with quote

Over the past year or so, some of the older films i have on dvd, seem to be 'wearing out', in that the volumn when folk talk, is a lot lower than it used to be, to where i have to pump the TV's volumn up to around 50 (when 12 is normally ok to hear).

Anyone else had that problem? Did you fix it, by getting a new copy of the disk?? Or via some other method?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD's wearing out? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Over the past year or so, some of the older films i have on dvd, seem to be 'wearing out', in that the volumn when folk talk, is a lot lower than it used to be, to where i have to pump the TV's volumn up to around 50 (when 12 is normally ok to hear).

Anyone else had that problem? Did you fix it, by getting a new copy of the disk?? Or via some other method?

It might be the DVD player. I got my current blu-ray player when my old one just stopped playing my 2011 Star Wars blu-rays. The original blu-ray discs played fine in the new blu-ray player, so it definitely wasn't the discs.

I haven't had the volume problem specifically, but I have had old DVDs that used to work with old players have formatting issues with new players, and for those I had to replace the DVDs. I've even had an old DVD and an early gen blu-ray copies of Young Guns (which was my first movie owned on both DVD and blu-ray) not format right in a new blu-ray player. So I bought a newer blu-ray, and it still wouldn't format right. Then I bought a newer DVD, and finally that worked.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My player is barely 6 mo old. Had to replace it after the old one burned out..
BUT IF IT was the player, why is it only so low volumn on a very few dvd's??
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
My player is barely 6 mo old. Had to replace it after the old one burned out..
BUT IF IT was the player, why is it only so low volumn on a very few dvd's??

Well it could be because DVDs are made differently, especially over time, and players can sometimes have selective problems with only certain DVDs. I don't know, but it sounds like it is probably a player problem because why would certain DVDs just all get the same individual problem? Is all of the player's firmware up to date? Is it even connected to the internet?

But like I said before, getting a newer DVD may mean some older DVDs can't play right in it. It's a vicious cycle. Players and disc technology is always improving, and players are not built to last. Sadly, anymore six years is a good run for a DVD player. They aren't that expensive now if you need to buy a new one, but some older DVDs may not work with and need updated.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connected to the internet no. Its a stand alone blue-ray player for the tv.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Connected to the internet no. Its a stand alone blue-ray player for the tv.

OH, I thought you said DVD player. Well, even blu-rays are falling out of date. We are on to 4K and internet TV now. It's hard to keep up. I still have VHS tapes. I had two video players but one died, so I'm down to one, and worldwide they stopped making VHS players in 2016.

The times they are a-changin'.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT does play dvds as well as blu-rays.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just had my 3rd blue ray player in 4 years crap out on the BLUE RAY Side of house only, dvds still played..
What is it with these darn things?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, just had my 3rd blue ray player in 4 years crap out on the BLUE RAY Side of house only, dvds still played..
What is it with these darn things?

That sucks. Glad you can at least still play your Star Wars CT DVDs in that player though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its currently been put into the bestbuy shop for repair (or replacement), but i managed to pull out one of my older dvd/blue ray payers, i could NOT stick in the store (stupidly didn't keep its receipt), that still plays, so we have something to use for the week (or two) it may be in the shop...
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though they cost more, I'd recommend a Playstation. I've got a Playstation 4 that I've used for many years. I don't play games on it. Just use it to stream and play blu-rays and dvds on. It always works flawlessly.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not encountered DVDs wearing out myself (nor CDs). In theory, as long as Optical media is properly manufactured and treated with care, it's lifespan should be in the range of 100,000 viewings or 100 years - whichever comes first - approximately.
I have DVDs I have watched dozens of times, and CD's dating to the mid 80's I must have listened to hundreds of times.

However - I have heard of DVDs wearing out, and even DVDs being manufactured specifically to wear out. Much of my knowledge and experience comes from the early millennium when I was doing DVD authoring and video to DVD transfer for home use (taking home movies and authoring DVDs or VCDs). I tried to stay in the know and had a few subscriptions to industrial mags and catalogues and news sources on various types of optical media and digital transfer tech. There was a set of optical media designed specifically to deteriorate over time and with each playing for certain DVD rental services. A rather large studio was also behind this media...a studio who also sold DVD Authoring workstations that could not actually author authentic DVDs, and I know of complaints involving movies from this studio that were released on DVD showing signs of wear with multiple playing. I suspect they may have incorporated the degradable discs tech into their official releases to boost sales - but that is speculation. I don't want to name names for legal liability reasons. This one studio was the only one I was ever aware of complaints about though. I try to avoid this particular companies products.

As for DVD/Blue Ray players - I find that the brand and quality of the player makes a huge difference in playback quality and life span. Unfortunately most of the brands I swear by are not readily available at U.S. Retail store because they wont discount their prices enough - but I am of the mindset that you get what you pay for. I have used and had fantastic experiences with Panasonic, Yamaha, and Toshiba Optical devices. My Panasonic DVD player lasted 9 years of excessive use when it died. My Yamaha 5 Disc DVD changer is past the 10 year mark of very heavy use. My very old Panasonic CD player, though has some tray issues, still plays fine. My very old 2x Yamaha CD Burner in my old Video Workstation was still fully functional when that system was packed up for storage in 2019 (bought in 1995 and used a lot). I definitely do not recommend the cheapo Walmart players, you will have poor quality and be replacing them often (a friend of mine replaces one every year).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: