The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue 1 ish gritter game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Rogue 1 ish gritter game Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Rogue 1 ish gritter game Reply with quote

Like I said in my reintro, the group I game with is looking at playing a sci fi campaign, after I finish the Masque of Red Death campaign I'm running, and they may decide to go with d6 Star Wars. However, one of the comments from a player as been about not liking 'pew, pew, the storm troopers miss and are horrible soldiers, and everything is comic book ish'. I agreed that yes there are a lot of comic book elements in the comics and even movies - the list is extensive.

However, I said it all isn't comic book. I pointed to Rogue 1 especially the opening of the movie (where Cassian shot the contact that couldn't clime to safety) and the ambush of the imperial troops for fuel. Plus, even the comic Rebels was a little gritty – A spy in the Imperial Forces , The Mando camp being massacred etc. So I said I can make it a little more gritty than “pew pew the imps are imbeciles”.

All that said, are there any good gritter adventures or campaigns out there?

&/or What are some good adventure or campaign ideas for a gritter game ?

Forgive all spelling errors.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfall seems pretty gritty. Trying to escape a dying ship.

Tatooine Manhunt has some gritty aspects. I tried to play that up and the player 1-up'd me to the point I never finished the adventure.

TBH, all it takes to gritty up Star Wars is to make the Imperials competent. Stormtroopers with higher attributes definitely makes combat scarier. I use the Clone Trooper from the GMC guide done by Guardian here back in the day with Official Stormtrooper Gear loadout, and that makes for some tougher encounters to be sure. I also give my Stormtroopers a flat 31 resistance for all social interactions when it comes to trying to get them to deviate from protocol, except from a recognized Imperial officer.

Keep your players poor, having to maintain sub-standard gear and make do with whatever they can procure on site.

I think that's all I have for now.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtroopers with 5D damage blasters, 4D Blaster skill, and 3D damage soak each should be gritty enough for most characters. Depending on your characters' stats, one hit from a 5D blaster will do significant, possibly lethal damage.

Stormtroopers, in my games, are feared by my player characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, just removing armor penalties from troopers, allowing them to coordinate actions without needing a command roll, and LETTING THEM USE TACTICS, can often make them tougher.

Imagine a squad of the standard 10 troopers, 1 officer, 2 grenadier and 1 heavy weapons guy, 6 regular schmucks.
Both grenadiers, fire off smoke grenades, while the HWS starts laying down supressive cover fire, as the 10 regular troopers and the officer move for cover. Round 2, the grenadiers do the same, creating a nice thick cloak of smoke.. NOW THE PC's are hindered by at least -3d due to the vision penalties that the STORMTROOPERS are not, due to their MFAS equipped helmets.
THEN IF THE PC's try to sprint through the smoke screen, the stormies get EASIER SHOTS to hit them, again due to their helmets..
Coordinate 2-3 troopers shooting at armored or heavier looking targets, preferably targeted shots (limbs, head, GRENADES On someone's belt), and even just that one group of 10 troopers, should layeth the smack down on a group of even tough pc's (6-7d in blaster, 4-6d in dodge, 4d str...
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgr thanks all

Rgr on the troopers using tactics.

That is one thing that always annoyed me - with my military back ground - is that no one on either side uses any type of tactics at all (yes I know it is a saga set in space with the classic hero tropes so reality and tactic doesn't fir the story ).

I think that is why I like the opening scene of Rogue 1 so much. smart decisions on both sides. You are pinned and no way out your contact can't escape, if captured he will name names soon enough … sorry I'll make it as painless as possible (better would be to have a meeting place with at least 3 exists instead of a dead end alley with the only way out is a climb up) Then the trooper hears the blast, takes cover, calls for back up and hold position so no one can escape.

Forgive all spelling errors.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
That is one thing that always annoyed me - with my military back ground - is that no one on either side uses any type of tactics at all (yes I know it is a saga set in space with the classic hero tropes so reality and tactic doesn't fir the story ).
Space Opera, just like Old Skool Operas don't have realistic fencing matches between actors.

Rogue One was trying for a harder level of Military Sci-Fi and hit the combination of the two fairly well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramp Freighters is always a good basis for a grittier sort of game. You can always add in GG9 and GG11 for flavor, too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
rgr thanks all

That's something i often get bashed for. BECAUSE OF MY military backround and understanding of tactcs and such, people seem to hate how i soup up the imperial military.. Hence my getting called a killer DM a lot.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
lurker wrote:
rgr thanks all

That's something i often get bashed for. BECAUSE OF MY military backround and understanding of tactcs and such, people seem to hate how i soup up the imperial military.. Hence my getting called a killer DM a lot.

Oh, so that's what it is! No one can blame you for using military tactical thinking when running military characters, but as a friendly suggestion you can always reduce the lethality other ways, like having lower stats NPCs and lower numbers of them. Just food for thought.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
lurker wrote:
Space Opera, just like Old Skool Operas don't have realistic fencing matches between actors.

Rogue One was trying for a harder level of Military Sci-Fi and hit the combination of the two fairly well.

That's because during Rogue One A New Hope hasn't arisen yet.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Oh, so that's what it is! No one can blame you for using military tactical thinking when running military characters, but as a friendly suggestion you can always reduce the lethality other ways, like having lower stats NPCs and lower numbers of them. Just food for thought.

Its a mix of that, and my dislike of fudging..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else that can contribute to a 'grittier' game is allowing your players to deviate from 'Heroes' to 'reluctant heroes' or even 'anti-heroes'.

That's something else Rogue One delves a bit into.

Moral grey areas give your players room to role-play some of the quandries they find themselves in. Assuming they aren't straight-up murder hobos.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And murder hobos tend to be dark comedy more than gritty.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat. Murderhoboism is more 'dark comedy to me..
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game can have a gritty feel to it, certainly until your players really boost their Dodge and Blaster skills; if a player suffers a wound, the 1D reduction in their Strength means a 2nd hit usually incapacitates. One of my players was killed outright this week in exactly this circumstance, and that was against a blaster that dealt 4D damage. The previous week, they came dangerously close to a TPK as they ran out of medpacs, with several characters wounded and struggling! Also, any weapons with scale damage are extremely likely to put an end to your team!

I think it's probably more on the GM to set the tone of the game, you can probably make the rules feel gritty or high adventure depending on how you describe the settings and action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: