The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your favorite era to game in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> What is your favorite era to game in? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite era to game in?
Old Republic (circa 1000 BBY or earlier)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Pre-Palpatine Republic (circa 1000 BBY - TPM)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rise of the Empire (TPM - AotC)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Clone War (AotC - RotS)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Early Empire (RotS - Solo)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Early Rebellion (Solo - ANH)
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
The Classic Era (ANH - RotJ)
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
The New Republic (Post-RotJ)
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: What is your favorite era to game in? Reply with quote

Old Republic (circa 1000 BBY or earlier)
Pre-Palpatine Republic (circa 1000 BBY to TPM)
Rise of the Empire (TPM to AotC)
The Clone War (AotC to RotS)
Early Empire (RotS to Solo)
Early Rebellion (Solo to ANH)
The Classic Era (ANH to RotJ)
The New Republic (Post-RotJ)

These aren't exactly Legends or Canon era names and definitions, but I wanted to keep it a bit more vague since some of us have our own timelines. So this is completely based on films, except the first one. Please feel free to be more specific and more general in your replies (and please reply with multiple eras if you like gaming in multiple). And for any eras (especially for the last option), please also specify if you like to set your game in the EU, Canon universe, or your own that diverges from both. This thread was made with gamemasters in mind, but please feel free to reply with your favorite era to game in as a player too. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all the campaigns that I've run long-term have been either Classic Era or Early Rebellion.

I've run a short story arc of about 6 sessions in the New Republic.

I think the reason why I gravitate to the Rebellion eras are oriented toward my like of underdog stories.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the Classic Era, with some overlap into the Early Rebellion and New Republic eras (most of my stat write-up, even for ships from other eras, focus on how those ships would be used in the Classic Era). My reasoning mostly parallels cheshire's, in that I like the underdog feel, but add to that the fact that so much of the EU focused on this era that there is a wealth of material available to add detail and deep background stuff.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting pre Yavin, often end around ROTJ or just after.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like whatever era gets my players fired up. Honestly, there's no better fuel for creative fires than your players being excited. So... I can't pick one.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d go even further and include some of the older ships from TFA, like the Resistance Transport or the Baleen Freighter.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Tales of the Jedi ships for any pre-PT era when I need an old ship, and I will be happy to repurpose DT ships for my current (divergent) post-RotJ setting (which I won't get to actually game in for several years from now).

garhkal wrote:
Starting pre Yavin, often end around ROTJ or just after.

Right on. I pretty much agree with everyone here. For me, this RPG centers on the classic era. I have a Star Wars Multiverse with several campaign universes, but most adventures in most campaign universes take place in the classic era.

Even though I have adopted the PT into my personal canon and appreciate the fan efforts at updating the game to encompass the much larger continuity since the game ceased publication in 1998, for me this game has always been, and will always be, centered on the Empire. I have ran a total of three adventures that take place in the PT era. I have never had any player that really wanted to game in an era before or after the Empire more than during the Empire.

To conclude one classic era campaign, I ran a single final adventure that took place over 10 years after a non-canon Battle of Endor that the Empire had won. And my longest campaign (4 years in 90s) that started in the classic era is the only campaign that went into the post-RotJ timeframe, which was mostly based on the EU of the day (thus roughly the second half of the campaign took place 4-6 ABY). I can be happy in any time frame from RotS to the post-RotJ Empire, but feel most at home in the classic era.

In my current SWU, the post-RotJ era is still about the Empire, which still exists in some form for a while after the classic era. After RotJ, the setting diverges from both canons. A new republic and three empires (representing three different legacies of Palpatine) arise from the old Empire.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I like whatever era gets my players fired up. Honestly, there's no better fuel for creative fires than your players being excited. So... I can't pick one.

The last campaign i Ran (home), even GIVING my players the option of what era to game in, only ONE of the six players, thought of gaming outside of the rise of the rebellion time frame.
That one, wanted to play in a Tales of the jedi era.. None of the others did though, so we went with rebellion time frame..
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The last campaign i Ran (home), even GIVING my players the option of what era to game in, only ONE of the six players, thought of gaming outside of the rise of the rebellion time frame.
That one, wanted to play in a Tales of the jedi era.. None of the others did though, so we went with rebellion time frame..

It's a fan favorite!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have used Tales of the Jedi ships for any pre-PT era when I need an old ship, and I will be happy to repurpose DT ships for my current (divergent) post-RotJ setting (which I won't get to actually game in for several years from now).

Personally, the closest thing to a TotJ ship I'd be willing to use in my SWU is Fractalsponge's Lightskimmer-Class Scout.

But yeah, apart from that, the PT, Clone Wars and Rebels have provided some great filler insofar as ships and vehicles to populate Rebel Alliance forces. A motley mix of Republic and Confederacy equipment fending off newer Imperial vehicles really adds to the feel.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Personally, the closest thing to a TotJ ship I'd be willing to use in my SWU is Fractalsponge's Lightskimmer-Class Scout.

I don't think my need and your use are referring to the same thing. I mean, 'The PCs find a derelict ship from centuries ago drifting in space.' I do not mean older ships still in use in the Empire. In my game the actual timeframe of the source ship doesn't matter because it is just repurposing an "old" ship when needed for the plot of an adventure.

CRMcNeill wrote:
But yeah, apart from that, the PT, Clone Wars and Rebels have provided some great filler insofar as ships and vehicles to populate Rebel Alliance forces. A motley mix of Republic and Confederacy equipment fending off newer Imperial vehicles really adds to the feel.

In the classic era, the PT supplies plenty of older ships that may still be in use.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to like the unfettered options of the Old Republic.

"We're doing something that hasn't been covered by movies or games. So, if my Kashyyyk is weird, it's because it was weird for a while 3000 years ago."

That said, my longest-running campaign was set in the prequel era, using an alternate version of Episode 1 as a background.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never occurred to me to set my scenarios or campaigns 'any-when' but the New Republic.

I actively played when all I really had to go on was the three films (4-6) and a couple of NR books I'd read. I thought ...

1. It was the most accessible period to the players, as everything they had seen in the films was in the past, and could inform the players' imaginations and understandings.
2. The future was unknown so nothing the players did would cause some sort of 'alternative timeline' situation.
3. It seemed the most exciting period, as the Empire was leaderless but there were pocket Empires with plenty of the favourite bad guys and their machines still to deal with.

I always thought of the players as volunteers (or having some other motive) working as operational teams being sent with limited resources to assess and maybe deal with situations etc. The NR could provide limited resources (the NR is always cash strapped and resource-scarce in my campaigns, because of major efforts with big forces elsewhere) and it allowed me to have NR agents and contacts assist them if various ways every now and again, either by pre-arrangment, dumb luck or desperate request!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I tend to like the unfettered options of the Old Republic.

"We're doing something that hasn't been covered by movies or games. So, if my Kashyyyk is weird, it's because it was weird for a while 3000 years ago."

That said, my longest-running campaign was set in the prequel era, using an alternate version of Episode 1 as a background.

I'd love to have gamed in an EP 1 set campaign.. NOT ONE DM ive played under though, has yet done that time frame..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
It never occurred to me to set my scenarios or campaigns 'any-when' but the New Republic.

I actively played when all I really had to go on was the three films (4-6) and a couple of NR books I'd read. I thought ...

1. It was the most accessible period to the players, as everything they had seen in the films was in the past, and could inform the players' imaginations and understandings.
2. The future was unknown so nothing the players did would cause some sort of 'alternative timeline' situation.
3. It seemed the most exciting period, as the Empire was leaderless but there were pocket Empires with plenty of the favourite bad guys and their machines still to deal with.

So if I understand you correctly, you only run in the post-RotJ timeframe, but your campaigns do not take place in the EU (or canon universe), so there is no metaplot or future continuity to maintain. It's completely open ended. Correct?

StarPadre wrote:
I always thought of the players as volunteers (or having some other motive) working as operational teams being sent with limited resources to assess and maybe deal with situations etc. The NR could provide limited resources (the NR is always cash strapped and resource-scarce in my campaigns, because of major efforts with big forces elsewhere) and it allowed me to have NR agents and contacts assist them if various ways every now and again, either by pre-arrangment, dumb luck or desperate request!

I like that premise. I've played in classic era adventures where players groups are an odd mix of fully committed Rebels for the cause and freelance employees of the Alliance. I didn't care for that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: