The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Speed Codes for Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Speed Codes for Characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Speed Codes for Characters Reply with quote

For long time readers of my house rule concepts over on the 2E side, you may have noticed I'm a big fan of having one uniform rule for everything, which is then scaled to fit everything from Character-Scale combat all the way up to Capital Ship battles.

Something that has caught my attention is the fact that, while vehicles and starships under 1E are all given Speed Codes, characters are allowed to make Moves measured in meters. Something that I'd like to do as part of my nascent 1R&E project / thought experiment is to make all movement Speed Code based, which means that character movement would have to be converted over. This would allow characters to make use of the contest of speed concept I'm looking at.

At the moment, I see two possibilities; 1) give all characters a Speed Code of 3D, or 2) let them use their Dexterity Attribute as their Speed Code.

Of the two, I'm more inclined toward the latter. The former is mostly based on a conversion concept of the 2E Move ratings, but seeing as how 2E also bases how far a character can move on how well they roll their Running skill, it seems like it might be an unnecessary extra step.

On a related note, seeing as how there is no Running skill in 1E, I'm strongly considering porting over my Agility skill in place of Dodge.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: One of the concepts I'm thinking about porting over is the Strength Damage rule, and if I go with Option 2, it might fit well with a variant of that. Say, if characters can use their Dex as their Speed Code, allow them to use 1/2 of their Agility skill as their Speed Code in its place.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great concept. From now on I going use Dexterity as the character's "speed code" for 1E and the running skill for 2E, just to keep it simple for when characters are in foot chase.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
This is a great concept. From now on I going use Dexterity as the character's "speed code" for 1E and the running skill for 2E, just to keep it simple for when characters are in foot chase.

I'm reasonably certain it will work well for a simplified system like 1E, but I'd be somewhat hesitant to apply it to 2E, as I'm not sure the math stacks up right.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linking over from this topic.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:
Adding penalty to speed dice for dodge / full dodge would also slow down the process of moving to next range band.

Also fair, but I want to hammer this out, then take the time to grok the 1ERC Movement Rules.

Ok, after reading up on this, I'm thinking of going with a modified version of the Rules Companion Movement rules, with three levels; Walking, Running and Sprinting.
    When Walking, the Character rolls their Speed Code -1D, but this is considered a Free Action for MAP purposes.

When Running, the Character rolls their unmodified Speed Code, which counts as an Action for MAPs.

When Sprinting, the Character rolls their Speed Code, plus 1D for every Sprint Action the character declares, with each 1D counting as a MAP. Bear in mind that the character still has to roll their Agility skill against the Terrain Difficulty, so trying to go too fast for conditions can result in a nasty spill.

From there, Maneuvers and Dodge actions would also be counted against MAPs, but I wanted to lay the groundwork first.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Codes for Characters Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

At the moment, I see two possibilities; 1) give all characters a Speed Code of 3D, or 2) let them use their Dexterity Attribute as their Speed Code.

Option 2) seems to be simpler, but I would go for 1). There are some large but not-so-dexterous (or within the max DEX level of a human) creatures like Acklay, Tauntan, Rancor or Wampa with 11+ speed. Plus there are some species that are both land and aquatic and have two move values for each environment. That's why I would keep Dex and movement separate.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make speed dice an average between strength and dexterity.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Or the sum of the two. Or to slightly reduce the bucket of dice, DEX+STR-1D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe size modifier could be applied? Godzilla seems to be "slow" but her one step is...a large step. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Maybe size modifier could be applied? Godzilla seems to be "slow" but her one step is...a large step. Wink

I'm more partial to this, if only for the sake of simplicity. In fact, based on what I've written above, it would be simpler to give faster creatures a higher Agility rating in general, which would then translate into being able to soak more MAPs on Sprinting actions.

EDIT: And given the instinctive nature of most animals, a high Agility score makes perfect sense.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I like this way of doing it. I've mostly adopted the initiative system similar to this.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I like this way of doing it. I've mostly adopted the initiative system similar to this.

My main problem w/r/t the larger system I'm working on is that the combined method as described very quickly starts to outstrip ground vehicles, even with the +2D Speed Code Modifier that's applied to Ground Vehicles under the Mini-Six rules. And ground vehicles don't have a Str Code to add in. If one were to compare relative Move values from 2E, that'd be the equivalent of a human running 100-200 km/h.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm going to be running 1E - Classic Adventures with a changed up skill list later this week. In my game, I've decided that for chases my characters will have a speed code equal to their Athletics skill under Strength.

I'm kind of excited!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: