The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement during an action
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement during an action Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Movement during an action Reply with quote

So, how much can you move during an action? Assuming the conditions are relatively favorable, can you take No-action cautious movement during an action? If I am 5m from cover, can I move as part of a Dodge to get to cover, assuming the ground is otherwise fairly clear?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of RAW is that any movement over cautious (half your move) counts as an action. So if you dodge and move your full move that's 2 actions (-1D). If you move 5m, shoot and dodge, that's 2 actions, bump up to 3 if you move even 6m.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the Terrain.
As per page 101 and 102.

"In very easy, easy or moderate terrain, CAUTIOUS movement (half speed or under) is a FREE action. In difficult, very difficult or heroic terrain, its a rolled action but at an easier difficulty.

At crusing speed (full move), crossing 'automatically make the roll' but its still counted as an action, for very easy, easy and moderate terrain. They must roll the action for difficult or higher terrain.

At high (double) speed, going through easy, very easy or moderate terrain is a roll. Increase the difficulty level by one, in difficult or higher terrain. "

So in YOUR example listed, since the terrain is relatively clear, YES he could easily move that 5 meters to get under cover without a MAP..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really wanna get rules-lawyer-y about it, you have to determine whether movement can even be used as a reaction (that is, can you "move" when it isn't your turn?)

Since we're looking for the official ruling, the answer is probably "no."
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If you really wanna get rules-lawyer-y about it, you have to determine whether movement can even be used as a reaction (that is, can you "move" when it isn't your turn?)

Which gets to the heart of the problem, really. If I am "Dodging", I doubt that means I making a three meter vertical leap... unless I'm fighting through a Yinchorri sewer. Wink I also doubt that I've got my left foot bolted to the floor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the honorable RR about distance/speed, and the garhkal about terrain.

Naaman wrote:

All rules lawyers are players. As a GM, I am a rules-judge. I say it is impossible not to "move" while dodging, therefore I judge that the cautious movement distance can indeed optionally be moved as a part of the reaction, without a movement action or an additional MAP if in moderate terrain or less. That's my official ruling.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GM, I tend to agree, and would go as far as to say that a character MUST be able to move in order to dodge or must already be in cover.

I'd consider penalizing dodges in cramped spaces, up to and including prohibiting them.

There is a reason we call hallways and corridors the "fatal funnel" in close quarters battle.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
As GM, I tend to agree, and would go as far as to say that a character MUST be able to move in order to dodge or must already be in cover.

I'd consider penalizing dodges in cramped spaces, up to and including prohibiting them.

There is a reason we call hallways and corridors the "fatal funnel" in close quarters battle.

From Knights of the Dinner Table, I picked up the phrase "Conga Line of Doom".
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I've done the same. Especially vs grenades.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

I've done the same. Especially vs grenades.

For those, Shadowrun had its own term... "Chunky Salsa."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Related question: should a character performing a Full Dodge be able to make more than a Cautious Move? After all, if the only thing you're doing that round is dashing/diving for the nearest piece of cover, one should be able to cover quite a bit of ground in five seconds.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Related question: should a character performing a Full Dodge be able to make more than a Cautious Move? After all, if the only thing you're doing that round is dashing/diving for the nearest piece of cover, one should be able to cover quite a bit of ground in five seconds.

That seems reasonable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

You all already know how I feel about the basic dodge (that the standard dodge roll is "diving out of the way"). A full dodge, IMO, is what you do when you don't have any CP or FPs to save you.

By my interpretation, a full dodge does not move any farther (necessarily), but it does represent a full commitment to avoiding danger at all costs (not only dodging, but going prone/fetal so as to present the smallest possible target).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

This what I do too, but then in the narrative I count misses at tomes as actually the characters do "dodge" at times.

" he would lean to the side as the bolt flew by him, the heat from the bolt could be felt " etc

to me leaing away is a "dodge" but not the Dodge as in the skill, to me that is when delebrately try and dodge/avoid the attack
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While discussing moves in conjunction with multiple actions, when does the movement occur? It is as one of the character's actions to be done when chosen by the character or is it completely throughout the turn while the characters other actions are being performed. If I take three actions and decide to run at Fast speed, do I dart a full 20 meters in a flash, possibly outrunning someone before they can catch me or do I move a certain distance each "action". This gets very funky when dealing with ships and vehicles at high and all-out speeds, as they are moving steadily, not in fits and starts.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: