The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

May the 4th Be With You
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> May the 4th Be With You Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: May the 4th Be With You Reply with quote

It's awful quiet on here... considering what day it is and all. Although I like observing the theatrical release date.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a year or two ago that we had the discussion about May the 4th v. May the 25th and the consensus was that May the 4th was "Reform" Star Wars Day and May 25th was "Orthodox" Star Wars Day.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I suspect most of us on the forum are Orthodox observers.

I hit the WDOST-inspired landing pad with a couple coats of gloss spray varnish and gave it to the kids for May the 4th, along with TFA spaceships. The young one's obsessed with TIE fighters for some reason, and the older one understandably wants more "Star Wars girls" and she's always had a thing for our LEGO A-Wing. So the boy got the TIE, the girl got an A-wing w/Tallie.

https://imgur.com/zvofg8h
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I hit the WDOST-inspired landing pad with a couple coats of gloss spray varnish and gave it to the kids for May the 4th, along with TFA spaceships. The young one's obsessed with TIE fighters for some reason, and the older one understandably wants more "Star Wars girls" and she's always had a thing for our LEGO A-Wing. So the boy got the TIE, the girl got an A-wing w/Tallie.

https://imgur.com/zvofg8h

Cool!

TauntaunScout wrote:
Yeah. I suspect most of us on the forum are Orthodox observers.

That is my impression too. My son and I already watched TCW series finale today. To celebrate Disney+ getting TRoS today, we are going to watch RotS instead.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/star-trek-fan-says-happy-holidays-instead-of-may-the-fourth-be-with-you/?fbclid=IwAR3pxleSnyuF2PMqLT0JgzJa0yWk0RztF5IZtbyAJNL8X2xD1iXAFx3yzUM

Quote:

CINCINNATI — While many people are observing May 4 as Star Wars Day by saying “may the fourth be with you,” local Star Trek fan Lisa Donnelly has opted to instead just say “happy holidays.”

“Star Wars doesn’t have a monopoly on holidays that take place on May 4, you know,” said Donnelly. “There’s National Bird Day, Latvian Independence Day, and one of the non-canonical dates for Star Trek’s Federation Day is right around the corner on May 8. Those days deserve just as much recognition as some manufactured holiday celebrating a science fantasy movie series for kids.”

Some Star Wars fans, however, are calling Donnelly’s decision an attack on their way of life.

“George Lucas is the reason for the season, and anyone who says ‘happy holidays’ is declaring a war on Star Wars Day,” said Sam Gurevich, spokesman for the Cincinnati chapter of the Star Wars fan group 501st Legion. “This is a sacred day for the whole world to celebrate the joy and wonder that four of the nine Star Wars movies have given us.”

As of press time, Donnelly says that she will spend May 4 with other Trekkies, planning festivities for Star Trek Day on September 8 — or as they’re currently trying to rebrand it — Eighth Long and Prostember.

Mr. Green
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: 40th Anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back Reply with quote

Fantastic!

So in addition to Orthodox Star Wars Day this month, we've got the 40th anniversary of fan fave The Empire Strikes Back coming up on May 21st.

Since my family watched TCW series finale and RotS tonight, we are going to watch Solo, RO, and ANH in the next couple weeks so we can watch TESB on May 21st and RotJ on its 37th anniversary (May 25th/Orthodox Star Wars Day). After that, we will start watching the Mandalorian documentaries and the Disney Trio. We'll watch it all on Disney+ except Solo since it won't be there until next month.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Thank The Maker Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So in addition to Orthodox Star Wars Day this month, we've got the 40th anniversary of fan fave The Empire Strikes Back coming up on May 21st.

Since 1988 I have always observed OG Star Wars Day (May 25th). I have often also observed May 14th in honor of Lucas' birthday.

"May The Fourth Be With You" meaning May 4th was a special day to Star Wars fans apparently goes back to the 90s but I never heard it back then. I believe I heard it in May 2005 as part of Lucasfilm building hype for RotS that came out later that month. I was like, ha ha, punny, yay Star Wars. Sure, add another Star Wars holiday. I guess hey started having a convention at that time of year called Star Wars Day in 2011.

I love Star Wars but I am also a Beastie Boys fan. On May 4th 2012, Adam Yauch (AKA "MCA", Nathanial Hörnblowér") died of cancer. With the real Star Wars days of May 25th and 14th, May 4th just doesn't seem to be that important as yet another Star Wars day. I honor the life of MCA on May 4th. He was a Star Wars fan and the little image above is from the cover of a concert DVD where the Beastie Boys have lightsabers and MCA's director personal (Nathanial Hörnblowér") is in the background.

Anyway that being said, May 14th shall henceforth be known as "Thank The Maker Day"!

And this year, May 21st is the 40th Anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: No, I am your father Reply with quote

Happy 40th Anniversary of TESB.

The Force runs strong in my family. You can guess which one is my son and which one is me. I've actually been a "Dark Lord of the Sith" since 1979.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't celebrate it in Canada..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Don't celebrate what in Canada? Star Wars Day? Halloween?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May the 4th be with you, such as that gal who wore a storm trooper uniform, while her store was celebrating it..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a sad thing. And apparently she wasn't even a Star Wars fan, and was just doing it for her job.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of two other instances of someone in storm trooper armor, getting "RUMBLED like that by cops. ONE DID NOT even have a blaster', but a PAINTING of one on his armor's chest piece... YET STILL GOT slammed o the floor for "not dropping his weapon when ordered", after being tazed....
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
garhkal wrote:
May the 4th be with you, such as that gal who wore a storm trooper uniform, while her store was celebrating it..

I had to google what you were talking about garhkal, but I found it and I watched the video. Whoever called the cops on her was not a Star Wars fan because the blaster looked close enough to pass for a stormtrooper blaster to passers-by. At least when being held by a stormtrooper. And the cops were not Star Wars fans or they would have known it was cosplay for Star Wars Day.

But you can hardly prejudice an entire country for this incident. I happen to know that Canada loves Star Wars like we do. We have Canadians here. A retail business in Canada had a girl dress up as stormtrooper and stand in the parking lot to attract potential customers, to show that they were "celebrating" Star Wars Day. You can't just say, 'Don't celebrate May the 4th in Canada because cops hate Star Wars cosplay' from this incident.

Here, she could have gotten a lot worse than a bloody nose. It is really a stretch for Americans to be pointing at other countries for cases of police brutality and overreach when our country is rife with corrupt police forces who get acquitted for murder of unarmed citizens caught on video. Pot, meet kettle.

But I will say that there was one thing that was really stupid that the girl did, or her employer made her do. They make toy blasters in the shape of film blasters. My son has several that shoot nerf darts, squirt water, or emit sound and light. But they are all orange plastic. It would be very apparent to any cop that they are not metal and not real guns, even if they were not Star Wars fans. I would never chance it by carrying around a black fake gun, but especially not with a helmet on my head. That is just asking for trouble.

When I was a kid, a couple friends, my brother, and I thought it would be fun to go down to the highway and pretend we were shooting cars that drove by. We had squirt guns. Well apparently some guy saw us with his peripheral vision and swerved because he thought he was being shot at, then drove to the police station to tell on us. A cop drove over. He told us to not scare people, and got our phone numbers so he could call our parents. We were really, really stupid kids who should have known better. We were lucky no drivers wrecked, or shot back at us with a real gun. I learned the lesson early to never ever let anyone think a fake gun I am holding might be real.

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, that was a sad thing. And apparently she wasn't even a Star Wars fan, and was just doing it for her job.

Even without the gun, if I wasn't a Star Wars fan there is no way I would put on stormtrooper armor. It does not look comfortable, and you can't sit down or bend over easily. Being a Star Wars fan I'd still really consider refusing, but if they are paying me to do then I just might. No way in hell I'd carry a black stormtrooper gun with it though. Screw that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Even without the gun, if I wasn't a Star Wars fan there is no way I would put on stormtrooper armor. It does not look comfortable, and you can't sit down or bend over easily. Being a Star Wars fan I'd still really consider refusing, but if they are paying me to do then I just might. No way in hell I'd carry a black stormtrooper gun with it though. Screw that.

Some of the gamers i met who are members of the 501st, LOVE wearing the armor, but many do agree, its harder kneeling down while in the armor, or sitting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: