The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

COVID/Pandemic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> COVID/Pandemic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Coronavirus pandemic Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
We are in an unprecedented time of the modern era.

I am blessed that my wife and I are working from home (as long as we have electricity and internet), and the schools have closed so my son is at home with us. My son is 10 and big for his age. He has no health conditions. I don't want him to suffer but I doubt he would get more than uncomfortable with Coronavirus. Right now my son and I do not feel sick at all. Ohio is one of the first states to start enacting precautions. All daycares, preschools, and schools K-12 are closed. All non-essential retail businesses are closed. We are under a stay-at-home order unless having to go out for essentials. When I do I take every precaution by social distancing, touching as little as possible, using hand sanitizer (which is also in low supply), and washing my hands. We use lysol spray and wipes at home.

However I'm starting to feel some anxiety about this pandemic.

I have hypertension but thankfully my medication for that helps me achieve virtually ideal blood pressure. Other than that and being overweight (thus getting a little winded walking up two flights of stairs or running for a short time), I am fair health for someone in their late 40s. If I get infected by Coronavirus, I would hope I would not have difficulty breathing and could just suffer through it at home. If I have more severe respiratory symptoms and need proper medical care, I personally am still not worried about dying if I can get proper medical care.

I am a little worried about my wife. She is 8 years younger than me but getting over bronchitis (She went to the doctor a few weeks ago and that's what they said it was). She had gotten a cold in February that moved into her lungs. I got the cold from her but it never went into my lungs and I got better quicker. (We never had fevers. I never had a cough or breathing issues.) Her coughing is almost gone but her lungs are still weakened by it. Still, I'm sure she could get over Covid with proper medical care if needed.

However I am worried about the pandemic exceeding the capacity of our healthcare system and some of the infected not getting proper healthcare for the best possible chance of survival. I am worried about my wife and I getting it at the same time and not being able to take care of our son who no one else would want to take care of since he could be infected or a carrier. My family is happy to stay home and self-quarantine, but we only have a limited supply of food and other essentials of life, like TP which is in short supply in my area thanks to all the selfish doomsday preppers that stocked up on it. So unfortunately I have to go out to hunt down essentials and that is risking exposure, bringing it home to my family, and possibly even carrying it to others if I am unknowingly infected or carrying it. I am worried about all my older family members, especially my three living parents who are all in their 70s, my parent-in-laws who are in their 60s, and my wife's four living grandparents who are 90 or pushing 90. I am worried about my brother who is a few years younger than me but unfortunately smokes.

If my wife, son, or I get sick, I will tell you guys and keep you informed of my status in this thread.

If any of you or anyone in your home get or seem to get Coronavirus, I request that you please inform me. Feel free to PM it to me - If you don't want it public, it won't be. People come and go from the forum all the time, and that's fine. But if you suddenly stopped posting during this pandemic I would hate to wonder what happened. Thank you.

You're not the only one fretting.. I heard of a guy (via a battle-tech buddie), who has to get dialysis every week or so.. and hes starting to worry his hospital (in buffalo NY) is going to be over-run with patients cause of Covid-19, and he won't be able to get seen...
Whether warranted or not, people are getting anxious...
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an observational note...

We are living a piece of interesting history in real time. Consider that for a moment.

We hear about things like the great depression and the Spanish flu...we are living it.

And we are actively participating in it. Future historians will (presumably) have the wealth of the internet to study about this time.

They will see what we write online. They will see the memes and how people continued to find humor in the face of a credible threat to so many. They will see how the news feeds and media started informing the world about the disease and was not really taken seriously by the world at large.

Then as the record is perused further, future historians will see how knowledge and information was slowly disseminated (true as well as false) into the public until it literally took over almost all other content in news and social media.

Think about the 10-year post flashbacks that facebook will be showing us in 2030.

The future historians will study and try to understanc the strange toilet paper shortage. Some might even write theories and thesis on the phenomenon.

They will see how society re-organized itself. Country by country. Some of the reorganization I think will be here to stay, such as what the Bubonic Plague did for serfs vs landlords.

They will see the people and organizations that went out of their way to help people.

We are living days that, hopefully, most of us will live to tell grandchildren about...and they won't really 'get' it, but hopefully our collective experience will make their world better.

The lessons learned, if we can keep them, will help ensure human civilization's continuation in the face of an inevitable future pandemic with a much higher morbidity. This is kind of a dress-rehearsal for a real doomsday scenario.

So, it isn't really appropriate to say 'enjoy the experience', so I will say:

Good luck, stay separate...use the internet. At least we have that;no one afflicted by a global plague before us did.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m back out on the road; since I do a lot of produce delivery on the west coast, my job is pretty essential. I’m effectively self-quarantined so long as I stay in my cab, but the population I do interact with at customers and truck stops is highly mobile, so I’m taking the precaution of wearing latex gloves in public places and washing my hands when I get back to my truck.

Most businesses that work with and/or support trucking remain open in some capacity. The truck stop restaurants have closed their buffets and salad bars, but are still doing take out orders from the menu, either by phone or by an order station at the entrance. Starbucks is only doing drive-thru service, but for large vehicles like mine (far too large to use the drive thru), they will bring mobile orders to the front door.

Etcetera. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

As such, my own exposure is a mixed bag; I’m mostly isolated, but with a somewhat elevated risk of exposure where interaction is required.

But because me and thousands like me go to work, you have fresh vegetables on your table and beer in your fridge. You’re welcome.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

But because me and thousands like me go to work, you have fresh vegetables on your table and beer in your fridge. You’re welcome.

The people in your profession are unsung heroes. I salute you!

A co-worker of mine has a husband who work in a nuclear powerplant. They have taken the drastic measure of having all personnel stay and live at the reactor site for 3 week-solid shifts....sleeping on cots in the cafeteria.

Their relief shift stays in isolation for 2 weeks before relieving them for their 3 weeks of working/living at the power plant.

All in the name of continuity of operations of a vital resource!

We, in my service, are calling retired officers back to service to pick up any slack from officers that are forced to quarantine. They are even looking at taking me out of my specialty forensic work and sending me (and others) back to patrol duty. Definitely unprecedented times.

I was out at a crime scene yesterday and the town it was in was mostly closed down...but a guy still needs to eat. I was fortunate that the local DQ was open. (no drive-thru)

They were serving 1 customer at a time; As per the sign on the door, the other customers queued up in the parking lot in their own cars keeping the appropriate distance. Kids working for minimum wage to keep the machines of society lubricated.

So many unsung heroes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
On an observational note...

We are living a piece of interesting history in real time. Consider that for a moment.

We hear about things like the great depression and the Spanish flu...we are living it.

And we are actively participating in it. Future historians will (presumably) have the wealth of the internet to study about this time.

Heck, i can even see kids say, in 10 years, having to write a piece for a class, on this..

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Then as the record is perused further, future historians will see how knowledge and information was slowly disseminated (true as well as false) into the public until it literally took over almost all other content in news and social media.

IT isn't almost, it HAS taken over all news feeds..

Dredwulf60 wrote:
We are living days that, hopefully, most of us will live to tell grandchildren about...and they won't really 'get' it, but hopefully our collective experience will make their world better.

The lessons learned, if we can keep them, will help ensure human civilization's continuation in the face of an inevitable future pandemic with a much higher morbidity. This is kind of a dress-rehearsal for a real doomsday scenario.

And IMO that's the kicker. CAN we learn lessons from this, and actually RUN with them? Or as often happens, those in charge say "we must learn lessons", then nothing gets changed.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Good luck, stay separate...use the internet. At least we have that;no one afflicted by a global plague before us did.

So true..

Dredwulf60 wrote:
queued up in the parking lot in their own cars keeping the appropriate distance..

That's something that bugs me, when i see pics of folks queued up in lines of cars, to get tested, or pick up food/water from those distribution tents.. ALL of those engines running consistently.
I wonder, how much extra smog, and thus bad health effects that may cause, in the future??
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Dredwulf60 wrote:
queued up in the parking lot in their own cars keeping the appropriate distance..

That's something that bugs me, when i see pics of folks queued up in lines of cars, to get tested, or pick up food/water from those distribution tents.. ALL of those engines running consistently.
I wonder, how much extra smog, and thus bad health effects that may cause, in the future??

Well, in this case it was a mostly empty small parking lot and the vehicles were all parked and turned off.

BUT in the grand scheme of things...air pollution is at significant low globally right now...so...that's good at least.

Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You're not the only one fretting.. I heard of a guy (via a battle-tech buddie), who has to get dialysis every week or so.. and hes starting to worry his hospital (in buffalo NY) is going to be over-run with patients cause of Covid-19, and he won't be able to get seen...
Whether warranted or not, people are getting anxious...

Yes, all the people with existing health issues whose healthcare is going to suffer because of the pandemic, something else to worry about.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
...We are living days that, hopefully, most of us will live to tell grandchildren about...and they won't really 'get' it, but hopefully our collective experience will make their world better.

Thanks Dred for the perspective, but right now it is really hard for me to think about how humanity will learn from the experience and go forward from it. This is just the beginning. My wife was just telling me how the country is expected to be thousands of ventilators short. I just can't think about 10 years from now when I am so worried about 2020. There are just so many unknowns.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Fedoras off to you, CRMcNeill. Thank you.

And in the Medicare world, I help people on the other end. I am often in the position to help senior citizens not have to choose between food and their medications, so I help people afford those vegetables.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
So, it isn't really appropriate to say 'enjoy the experience', so I will say:

I intend the keep the Rancor Pit here for the duration. But please come around and chime in. I'd like to hear how everyone is doing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Dredwulf60 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Fedoras off to you, CRMcNeill. Thank you.

And in the Medicare world, I help people on the other end. I am often in the position to help senior citizens not have to choose between food and their medications, so I help people afford those vegetables.

My hat goes off too all our medical professionals and delivery drivers too!! Cudos!

PS, any chance we may see a thumbs up smiley??
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
PS, any chance we may see a thumbs up smiley??
Thumbs Up
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY>. Thumbs Up
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still having to go to work every day to keep the power on. I work for the utilities company the provides power and gas to most of the state I live in.

My wife, who works for the local hospital has been working from home. Which is good, because she has some heath issues which could make it more severe for her if she were to get it.

My younger brother, in town, also still works, as he is a Fed Ex delivery driver, and people still rely on deliveries of materials for things.

My work has implemented a lot of cautionary things, like no outside non-employees in the building. All doors locked down. Hand-sanitizers and so on.

So far there's only about 5 cases in the county, and I think 1 or 2 in the town. No one I know. The governor of Montana just issued a "shelter at home" directive, so there will be even less vehicles out when I go to work in the morning (and it's felt like a doomsday trip every morning with as few vehicles are out compared to normal). I received my "immunity" letter from work, since I am part of critical infrastructure. So if I get pulled over, I show them the letter (and my work attire) should indicate why I am out.

So far everyone I know, and my family (including my 60+ year old parents) in town are doing fine. Glad to hear everyone else is staying healthy here.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live with my mother (brought her over from the UK, back in 2008 to live with me), and she's been real lucky. Has not had to go out anywhere, so is not in any danger of getting it (unless i do that is). Nothing from other family, about if any of them have it.. BUT with some of those kin, not contacting me in over 3+ years, it's not surprising i've not heard anything.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jack, 'Star Wars' actor and dialect coach, dies from Covid-19

RIP Andrew Jack, who played Resistance Major/General Ematt in TFA and TLJ. He was also a dialect coach for Rey, Finn, and some alien characters in those films. And he was the voice of Moloch, Lady Proxima's main white worm guy in Solo.

Jack was the dialect coach for James Bond in three of my fave Bond films. He designed and taught the accents for the Greeks and Trojans in Wolfgang Petersen's Troy. He was the supervising dialect coach for The Lord of the Rings films. He actually created the Middle-earth accents and taught them, along with the Elvish and Black Speech languages, to the cast of the trilogy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know three people that have had possible covid symptoms. Two of them have advised that they tested negative.

So how is everyone doing?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandparents were exposed, and my grandfather seemed to show symptoms but is currently feeling better.

Beyond that I've had other personal tragedies unrelated to the COVID-19 situation, but which have made isolation especially painful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: