The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
I'd chime in, but I stopped watching around episode 3 or 4.....it bored me to tears and seemed pointless.

You missed Grogu getting his IG mech suit in the 7th episode. With buttons he could press to make it say "yes" and "no" in a robotic voice. It was hilarious.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ThrorII wrote:
I'd chime in, but I stopped watching around episode 3 or 4.....it bored me to tears and seemed pointless.

You missed Grogu getting his IG mech suit in the 7th episode. With buttons he could press to make it say "yes" and "no" in a robotic voice. It was hilarious.

I can't tell if you're being fascistic or not.....

Was in unintentionally hilarious?
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Whill wrote:
ThrorII wrote:

I can't tell if you're being fascistic or not.....

Was in unintentionally hilarious?

I think YOU mean "facetious", as in "humorous".

And yes, it was intentionally funny in the context of the show, at least at first. As it went on, you saw where he was legitimately answering Yes or No to Din's questions and commands, which actually made him a more active part of the story. I think that's the biggest challenge of the show, as far as what the writers have to deal with - a main character that doesn't have any formal dialogue.
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ThrorII wrote:

Mentioned to one of my gaming groups that this was one of the most RPG-y things I've seen in a show that is full of RPG-y things.

Some player took "can't speak" and "tiny" disadvantages, got tired of playing them and found a workaround, and the GM allowed it (at least temporarily).
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
I think YOU mean "facetious", as in "humorous".

Yes, thank you. I couldn't figure out how to spell it for the life of me, and my attempts confused auto-correct. So I just said 'F** it'.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never fascistic!

Ziz wrote:
And yes, it was intentionally funny in the context of the show, at least at first.

And I wasn't being facetious. Grogu's IG mech suit was actually hilarious. My family and I were literally laughing out loud. And I agree with Ziz that it was intended to be hilarious, at least at first. It was clearly also intended to be cool and awesome, and I'm sure a lot of fanboys geeked out over it, but I do not really feel that it ever was. For me, it remained humorous out of the sheer absurdity of the whole thing. But absurdity gets old after a while so it becomes less humorous.

Ziz wrote:
As it went on, you saw where he was legitimately answering Yes or No to Din's questions and commands, which actually made him a more active part of the story.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I can see your point. Of course that is going a long way to deal with the completely ridiculous premise that Grogu can't talk in the first place.

Grogu can clearly understand language. He is intelligent. But he only babbles and make baby noises (so its not that he doesn't have vocal cords). Grogu is an absurd character who has Jedi training and goes on all these dangerous missions, but he can't talk. He is a 50 year-old powerful Force user, but he's also a baby who can't talk.

Fans love Yoda. Grogu is a baby version of Yoda. Grogu is cute, and people love cute.

Ziz wrote:
I think that's the biggest challenge of the show, as far as what the writers have to deal with - a main character that doesn't have any formal dialogue.

A simple solution is to just have Grogu start talking. Then there is no challenge to overcome, and the character becomes more credible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little confused with jet/ rocket packs in this season.
In one episode after chasing a flying creature the Mando team had to abandon pursuit due to low fuel - ok.
But then one warrior gets ground to orbit flight? Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
In one episode after chasing a flying creature the Mando team had to abandon pursuit due to low fuel - ok.

Add to that jetpacks flying in any direction for any length of time without ever running out of fuel in the canon cartoons. It's almost like jetpack fuel is pure plot device or something.

But maybe he had a drop of coaxium in his jet pack!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

I thought the episode where they chased the flying creature was dumb.
They are obviously not fast enough to catch the flying beast (huh?) but they can trail it for an unknown amount of time...until their jetpacks all run out of fuel...

Then buddy says words to the effect: "This happens every time we chase this bird thing."

How ridiculously stupid do they have to be? This apparently snatches kids repeatedly...and they do this flying failure over and over again without coming up with something else?

Anyway...that was way stupider than the guy flying up to the ship.

I mean, assuming he's got a rocket pack rather than a 'jet' pack, so it doesn't need to aspirate, he only has to fly straight up to get to the ship. Star Wars ships have anti-gravity, so it just has to hang there about 60km up, stationary with regard to the surface, rather than be in orbital free-fall around the planet.

All the incredible speed we associate with getting to orbit is not necessary for him, because for conventional orbit you need to go so fast that you are shooting your craft over the horizon of the Earth. In effect, a projectile going so fast that when gravity pulls it back down, it continues to fall past the edge of the atmosphere.

In that particular Mandalorian's case, if he didn't make it to the ship, he'd end up falling straight back toward the planet due to gravity once his fuel ran out, like that guy that rode the weather balloon to the edge of the atmosphere and then jumped off.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I think latent telepathy has screwed up speech development in his species. But either way, human babies understand language FAR earlier than it's physically possible for them to speak. This is why we can teach them to sign way before speaking.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Star Wars: Ampersands Can Go In Film Titles Now
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: