The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ideas for Simplifying Grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Ideas for Simplifying Grenades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Ideas for Simplifying Grenades Reply with quote

So standard combat goes:
1. Roll to hit (Blaster) > Roll to Dodge (Difficulty +Dodge)
2. Roll Damage > Roll Strength Resistance (STR +Armor)

Grenades go:
1. Roll to hit (Grenade) > Range Difficulty
2. Roll grenade explosion (4D) > Roll to Dodge (Difficulty +Dodge)
3. Roll Damage > Roll Strength Resistance (STR +Armor)
3a. Damage is supposed to be rolled separately for each target.

But there is also:
1a. If the grenade misses (roll to hit < range difficulty)
b. Roll 1D to determine direction of missed throw from target
c. Roll 3D to determine distance of missed throw from target

A standard attack has 2 opposed rolls.

A standard grenade has a minimum of 3 rolls (2 of them opposed) if it is on target, and 5 rolls if it is off-target, +1 roll for each additional target in the blast damage.

Has anyone worked on simplifying grenades?

I know of the house rule to roll once for damage, and apply it to everyone in range.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for Simplifying Grenades Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Has anyone worked on simplifying grenades?

Yes, but not in the way you mean. As a GM I never got the knack to handling grenades. Many combat situations with them royally screwed up adventures. They were too much of an X factor for me so I almost completely removed them from them from my game.

You don't see grenades being used in the CT, the timeframe when my campaigns are set. So in my SWU, grenades still exist but there is a severe shortage of the explosive substance so they are rare. They also went from Restricted to Illegal. So they are mainly the realm of the militaries but that still doesn't mean that every soldier has one. After seeing them used in Rogue One, I decided that the Jedha "mining accident" that was reported to the Senate supposedly involved the explosive substance in grenades and the Empire took advantage of that "tragedy" to put the smack down on grenades to better control galactic grenade access.

Thermal detonators also don't appear much and I warn players that if they roll any applicable wild die 1s when they have a thermal detonator (like even tripping, getting shot, etc.), it could go off in their PCs' faces so they are only used when absolutely needed. Regular detonite demolitions are more common in my game.

As I am deficient in handling grenades in the game, I appreciate you posting this as another option. I'll keep this in mind.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on the Star Wars d6 page of MeWe, a gentleman had this solution for grenades:

1. Roll to hit (grenade skill or dex) > distance difficulty
2. Roll grenade damage > Resistance (Str +armor)

1a. If grenade roll is < difficulty, then scatter. Use the Wild Die (2nd Ed+) as the scatter direction x 3 meters for distance*

2a. There is no dodging grenades. Targets roll against the grenade damage for their respective distance (ie: a medium ranged grenade is 3D).

*You may want to re-set the scatter direction so 1 is back towards thrower, 6 is past target, 2 and 3 are to the left/right, and 4 and 5 are behind the target left/right.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go real simple:

Assign the grenade a set damage value.
example: Fragmentation grenade is damage: 20.

The attacker makes the throw roll against range-based difficulty. ie throwing 30 yards you need a 30 roll.

Everyone within the area of effect rolls their own soak against the 20 damage.
They can combine the dodge dice with their Strength dice to soak, accounting for the grenade not landing as closely, or them possibly getting out of range before the fuse time, or getting behind cover and taking less damage or no damage. This abstracts the idea of scatter.

A failure on the grenade-throw means that the thrower has failed to get the grenade to a position it will cause damage to the intended target(s).

A failure with a wild-1 means the character has to soak the base damage of his own grenade. (possibly with a dodge roll added to the soak roll, assuming the grenade had a fuse. If he cooked it off....too bad about that.)

Just off the top of my head.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 meters, but yeah. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Of course. Funny thing is...I'm Canadian and use meters by default. But when on the internet I typically assume an American audience. My bad.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Of course. Funny thing is...I'm Canadian and use meters by default. But when on the internet I typically assume an American audience. My bad.

Congratulations on being from a scientifically forward country. That's very nice but in general but you really shouldn't use our stupid conventional measures for American audiences because how are we ever going to modernize?

Quote:
The target area is only two meters wide.

Star Wars uses the metric system so on the Rancor Pit we should use it, at least when referring to anything in-universe, such as grenade ranges and such.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Congratulations on being from a scientifically forward country. That's very nice but in general but you really shouldn't use our stupid conventional measures for American audiences because how are we ever going to modernize?

Quote:
The target area is only two meters wide.

Star Wars uses the metric system so on the Rancor Pit we should use it, at least when referring to anything in-universe, such as grenade ranges and such.

Sorry.

I am Canadian. Trying to be considerate. That's one of our traits.

Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Sorry.

I am Canadian. Trying to be considerate. That's one of our traits.

Smile

No need to apologize. Your traits are commendable. But the target area has been only two meters wide since 1977. And womp rats are not much bigger than two meters.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: