The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Does anyone have female Galactic Heroes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Does anyone have female Galactic Heroes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have female Galactic Heroes? Reply with quote

Just like the title says. I am looking for a cheap deal on Playskool little kid figures of Rose, Rey, Phasma, dunno if the made a Jyn or Mon Mothma, anything really. My 4 year old daughter is overtly annoyed that "There's a lot more boys in Star Wars than girls". Wanna head this off before she loses all interest in SW.

We already have 3 different versions of Leia but I guess more would be helpful: we have leai's in Hoth, Bespin, and Boushh outfits.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, but another angle you could check out are ebay sales for Disney Infinity figures. The female characters available for that are:

- Asokha
- Leia
- Rey
- Sabine

Some people have made custom molds of Hera as well and there might be some Jyn Erso prototypes floating around out there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have female Galactic Heroes? Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
My 4 year old daughter is overtly annoyed that "There's a lot more boys in Star Wars than girls". Wanna head this off before she loses all interest in SW.

She has a valid complaint. You would think that after #WheresRey? they would make more toys based on female characters. It looks like they are mostly available in sets with a lot of male characters. Here is a link I found to get Rey and Phasma.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2115240289296695986
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have female Galactic Heroes? Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
My 4 year old daughter is overtly annoyed that "There's a lot more boys in Star Wars than girls". Wanna head this off before she loses all interest in SW.

Sir, you are an awesome parent for going above and beyond the call of duty in maintaining your daughter's interest in Star Wars. Cool Very Happy Cool
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did manage to find a sealed "Resistance" pack for $10 that's missing some guy with a metal hand. It had Rey, Phasma and Rose. Plus R2 and a stormtrooper, you always need more of those anyways.

I've never heard of this "Where's Rey?" thing.

Unfortunately it would appear that Jyn was not made in Galactic Heroes form.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Well that is surprising but I guess it was back when your 4 year-old girl was a baby. I experienced Where's Rey?. When TFA was a blockbuster smash hit, parents and toy collectors were largely stymied in their attempts to actually find any Rey toys in stores. The original TFA edition of Monopoly nonsensically did not have Rey as a playing piece. See, the dinosaur misogynistic @sshole toy executives operating out of the patriarchal mentality of the prior millennium had just assumed that even in 2015, boys would not want female Star Wars toys and girls would not want any Star Wars toys (or would even like Star Wars). The execs were obviously wrong and there was a severely wide gulf between the very high demand and the very low supply for Rey toys. #WheresRey? was a popular hashtag on social media as fans expressed their exasperation in finding Rey toys during this time. It was as if millions of hands were holding cash out to Hasbro were met with silence. TFA toys had first become available on Force Friday 2015 and it took 8 months (May 2016) of looking before I could even find a Rey action figure, and I had to buy a big multi-pack at Target to get her. I think I eventually did get Rey on a card but #WheresRey was the beginning of my growing hatred for action figure collecting. Jyn Erso was not as bad as Rey but they still underestimated the initial demand for her as well.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. The 3.75 inch line is such a disaster.

As for the lack of female figures specifically, in retrospect I've thought such things about Kenner: Mon Mothma and the ion control lady didn't get an action figure but "Imperial Dignitary" and a costume change for Nikto did? Wtf?

My daughter was making the observation based on the supernumerary actors in the films but I am still thinking we'll be able to attack this with toys, since they don't watch movies much.

Edit: While I'm a rant, what's up with the new SW Micro machines? The playsets for TFA and TLJ come with ONE figure. If you spring for the huge playsets they come with TWO figures. What kind of person thinks a kid is gonna want that, or have fun playing with it? Lame-o.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Well that is surprising but I guess it was back when your 4 year-old girl was a baby. I experienced Where's Rey?. When TFA was a blockbuster smash hit, parents and toy collectors were largely stymied in their attempts to actually find any Rey toys in stores. The original TFA edition of Monopoly nonsensically did not have Rey as a playing piece. See, the dinosaur misogynistic @sshole toy executives operating out of the patriarchal mentality of the prior millennium had just assumed that even in 2015, boys would not want female Star Wars toys and girls would not want any Star Wars toys (or would even like Star Wars). The execs were obviously wrong and there was a severely wide gulf between the very high demand and the very low supply for Rey toys. #WheresRey? was a popular hashtag on social media as fans expressed their exasperation in finding Rey toys during this time. It was as if millions of hands were holding cash out to Hasbro were met with silence. TFA toys had first become available on Force Friday 2015 and it took 8 months (May 2016) of looking before I could even find a Rey action figure, and I had to buy a big multi-pack at Target to get her. I think I eventually did get Rey on a card but #WheresRey was the beginning of my growing hatred for action figure collecting. Jyn Erso was not as bad as Rey but they still underestimated the initial demand for her as well.

I often have wondered whether market research is practiced in an applicably valid way.

As a student of sciology (a self-proclaimed "soft science") I can tell you that EVERY honest study I have ever read concluded with the summary indicating that the results are not conclusive due to the high potential for confounding variables.

Every study that did not admit this failed to address multiple obvious questions concerning data interpretaion (exposing a high chance that the researcher was experiencing some kind of cognitive bias).

I suspect market research interpretation is highly subjective and therefore at best, reactive instead of proactive (the fear of "bad investments" drives any kind of conservative [that is, "safe," not political] decisions).
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what market research says. Who makes a licensed toyline for Movie A and leaves out the main protagonist of Movie A? That's just plain dumb.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Every study that did not admit this failed to address multiple obvious questions concerning data interpretaion (exposing a high chance that the researcher was experiencing some kind of cognitive bias).

The cognitive bias of the licensee execs was pretty obvious.

Naaman wrote:
I suspect market research interpretation is highly subjective and therefore at best, reactive instead of proactive (the fear of "bad investments" drives any kind of conservative [that is, "safe," not political] decisions).

But the proof is in the pudding, as they say. WheresRey? was not just some esoteric moral objection bandwagon, like a bunch of people saying, 'Hey, yeah, there should be more Rey toys!' The actual consumer demand for Rey was enormous, and when supply finally answered that demand, Rey flew off the shelves (but not as much as they would have if she was there before the film was released). Even with the extremely delayed releases, the sales figures are there to overwhelmingly support the notion that their fear of Rey being a bad investment was totally unfounded.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I don't care what market research says. Who makes a licensed toyline for Movie A and leaves out the main protagonist of Movie A? That's just plain dumb.

Exactly. From 1999-2005, there were never any shortages of Anakin or Obi-Wan action figures (or Luke or Han) but new variations kept being produced so they were selling.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Naaman wrote:

But the proof is in the pudding, as they say. WheresRey? was not just some esoteric moral objection bandwagon, like a bunch of people saying, 'Hey, yeah, there should be more Rey toys!' The actual consumer demand for Rey was enormous, and when supply finally answered that demand, Rey flew off the shelves (but not as much as they would have if she was there before the film was released). Even with the extremely delayed releases, the sales figures are there to overwhelmingly support the notion that their fear of Rey being a bad investment was totally unfounded.

Exactly. Their preconceived notions essentially backfired on them, hence, the methodology in their market research needs to be reevaluated.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of SW toys seems to be in a messy muddle now. Nothing but Lego has much actual play value for children.

The new Galactic Heroes are awful for small hands. The "power up" function is a disaster that anyone with experience with little kids should have foreseen.

Micro Machines had almost no figures for the playsets and the line tanked. That was a massively successful line originally, it took a lot of stupidity to drop THAT particular ball.

Don't get me started on my poor Retro line!

The several articulated action figure lines seem to be made for adults, not children. Kids can't handle that many points of articulation and can look past a lot less detail than that. However, they are also loathe to pay $12.99 for one figure!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I am disgruntled that I can't just go to the store and find the 3.75 figures I want. I don't want to mail order, paying someone's markup and shipping. They should be there locally. There are tons of Snoke in all the stores that carry Star Wars toys near me though! They obviously overestimated the demand for that character.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Mostly I am disgruntled that I can't just go to the store and find the 3.75 figures I want. I don't want to mail order, paying someone's markup and shipping. They should be there locally. There are tons of Snoke in all the stores that carry Star Wars toys near me though! They obviously overestimated the demand for that character.

What's with the waves of 6 or so figures? You haven't been able to go to one source to figure out what's actually currently available in the line since the second or third wave of 90's guys. It's confusing and probably builds little to no demand/interest from kids. Back in the day you flipped over the cardback, and you knew what figures there were. Not now.

Near as I can tell, they currently make Snoke, Rey, Jyn Erso, Hoth Rebel, 1st Order Stormtrooper, and a 6th which escapes me at the moment. Kylo or Gamorean Guard maybe. That's all I ever see at Target or Wal Mart, and big chain toy stores are extinct.

Course there's also the "black" series and the "adventures" cartoony looking ones. Cause fracturing a line into 3 things that compete with each other is such a great idea...

If my kids want poseable Star Wars guys when they get to be like 6, they're getting my huge pile of MOC 1990's ones. On eBay cheaper than buying new ones at the store, and they're better playthings than the new ones, what with the multiple guns in case you lose one, guns being artificially big so they're harder to lose, etc.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing has really gotten me falling down a rabbit hole. I find myself collecting Rey and Phasma Micro Machines figures, purely for my own fun. And sequel MM figures to go with them. And I don't even LIKE The Force Awakens.

Not to mention scanning eBay for alternate weapon versions of Galactic Heroes Rey and Phasma figures for my daughter. Cause let's face it she'll need multiples of her favorites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: