The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advanced Specialization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Advanced Specialization Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Advanced Specialization Reply with quote

I just stumbled across an interesting fact in the 2R&E Rulebook.

The official write-up for the (A) Medicine includes the option of specializing in different subsets of Medicine, including surgery, cyborging and "medicines" (which I assume is more like the SWU equivalent of pharmacology).

So, while the RAW does not specifically address Advanced Specializations, it does allow it. So, how would the two combine? I assume the training time and CP cost modifiers would cancel each other out, so that an Advanced Specialization would improve at the same rate as a regular skill.

And what would that mean for the glut of Engineering skills? Should (A) Engineering be treated as an Advanced Skill with all the sub-types as Advanced Specializations? What other skills are viable candidates for converting to Advanced Skills? Scholar, perhaps?

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With (A) Engineering I do not allow sub specialization. I have an (A)____________ Engineering for every ___________ Repair skill. A character can take an engineering skill once a character's repair skill reaches 5D.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wild guess.

First Aid 5D
(A)Medical 2D

on the checks related to medical roll 2D+5D like normal with Advanced skills.
He attempts surgery, it is part of his training, he is profecient at it but it is not his field as a generalist. he still rolls his medial+first aid on the checks, but once he specializes as a surgeon he does like below

First Aid 5D
(A)Medical 2D
(As)Surgery 1D

He rolls now 2D+1D+5D on his surgery rolls, but his knowledge of pahrmacy(medicine) and anatomy and proctology are still under the medicine umbrella skill at 2D (+5D First Aid)

here specializations are at 1/2 the advanced skill cost (following the 1/2 cp cost for specializations)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd see it as he'd roll his (A) Medicine, and (S) Pharmacology, skill together. First aid wouldn't come into it.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd see it as he'd roll his (A) Medicine, and (S) Pharmacology, skill together. First aid wouldn't come into it.

I would see this similar to Blaster specialization

Blaster: 3D
(s)Blaster-Rifle: 4D

He rolls 3D for blaster, and 4D for blaster Rifles.

same with the advanced speciality.

the advanced Medicine would be this.

First Aid: 5D
(A)Medicine: 2D
Roll Fisr Aid 5D+2D Medicine

If

(A) Medicine: 2D
(A-s)Surgey: 3D

he rolls 5D first Aid+3D surgery, all other medicine is 5D +2D

What I see I did wrong was with the specialization, while I see it at the normal 1/2 cost, it works like all others.

you can even have a medicine higher than your surgery, though it would be wierd.

so to specialize in advanced skill you have to pay the cost to +1 above the skill (here with advanced cost) and from there is 1/2 advanced skill cost for the specialization.

much like (s)Blaster rifle is used for all blaster rifle attacks, and the blaster skill for the rest.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh.... the can of worms on official rules interpretation has been opened... Very Happy
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Uh-oh.... the can of worms on official rules interpretation has been opened... Very Happy

LOL.

Rolling Eyes
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
With (A) Engineering I do not allow sub specialization. I have an (A)____________ Engineering for every ___________ Repair skill. A character can take an engineering skill once a character's repair skill reaches 5D.

Starfigher Engineering:
one for each individual fighter?
or could you see a specialization here like this?
-Advanced Skill- Starfigher Enginnering
-Specialization- Sienar Design Starfighters
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, the proper form for an Advanced Specialization would be something along the lines of “(A) Medicine: Surgery”.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
griff wrote:

Starfigher Engineering:
one for each individual fighter?
or could you see a specialization here like this?
-Advanced Skill- Starfigher Enginnering
-Specialization- Sienar Design Starfighters

Technically, the rules allow for both. That is, you can specialize in a single model (such as DL44) or you can specialize in "heavy blaster pistols," (which includes the DL44).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

But why would you stack them if (A) Medicine: Pharmacology doesn’t have (A) Medicine as a prerequisite? Per the RAW, Advanced Skills only stack with the prereq, and normal skills and specializations don’t stack.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Technically, the rules allow for both. That is, you can specialize in a single model (such as DL44) or you can specialize in "heavy blaster pistols," (which includes the DL44).

Makes sense. Of course, an Advanced Specialization then runs into the same problem as a regular specialization - you don’t want to define it too narrowly.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:

That makes sense given how diverse the various Repair skills are, especially under my own house rule that transfers modification rolls from Repair to Engineering. My only reservation is that there are going to be certain concepts in common that translate across the skill portfolio boundaries, but don’t translate into synergy bonuses when working outside the character’s skill set.

One possibility that occurs to me is allowing a character to roll his skill dice for a plausibly related skill (Starfighter Repair to Space Transport Repair) against the Difficulty in question, which then generates a 1/3 bonus which is then added to the actual skill.

For example, say a Tech has 6D in Space Transport Repair and needs to make a Moderate Repair roll on the repulsorlifts of a landspeeder, but has no dice in Repulsorlift Repair. So he rolls his 6D Space Transport Repair against Moderate Difficulty, and succeeds by 10 points. 10/3 rounded down is 3, so the Tech gets a +3 bonus to his Technical Attribute roll when attempting to repair the landspeeder.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Makes sense. Of course, an Advanced Specialization then runs into the same problem as a regular specialization - you don’t want to define it too narrowly.

I know. It's a little bit silly. If I were running the game, I'd declare categories rather than specific models as the threshold for specializations.

It gets tricky with piloting, but I could see sorting ships into categories such as fighters, bombers, freighters, presonnel transports, etc...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
griff wrote:

That makes sense given how diverse the various Repair skills are, especially under my own house rule that transfers modification rolls from Repair to Engineering. My only reservation is that there are going to be certain concepts in common that translate across the skill portfolio boundaries, but don’t translate into synergy bonuses when working outside the character’s skill set.

One possibility that occurs to me is allowing a character to roll his skill dice for a plausibly related skill (Starfighter Repair to Space Transport Repair) against the Difficulty in question, which then generates a 1/3 bonus which is then added to the actual skill.

For example, say a Tech has 6D in Space Transport Repair and needs to make a Moderate Repair roll on the repulsorlifts of a landspeeder, but has no dice in Repulsorlift Repair. So he rolls his 6D Space Transport Repair against Moderate Difficulty, and succeeds by 10 points. 10/3 rounded down is 3, so the Tech gets a +3 bonus to his Technical Attribute roll when attempting to repair the landspeeder.

There is a lot of potential with the various repair skills when it comes to sensible house ruling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: