The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dazzling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dazzling Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Dazzling Reply with quote

Hi,

How do you deal with someone being dazzled in your games?

One of my players has a laser sight attachment on his blaster and he wanted to shine it in someone's eyes to dazzle them. In the interest of speed as I couldn't recall seeing any rules on this, I ended up asking him to roll a straight up Dex roll vs. a Per roll for his opponent. He succeeded and his enemy lost his next action. Didn't treat it as stun or anything, just the loss of an action. Perhaps quick and dirty, but it seemed appropriate at the time.

Interested in your thoughts and suggestions on it.

Deano
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest the RAW gets is a -4D Concealment modifier for total darkness. If someone is dazzled to the point of blindness, then Concealment is the most obvious route to go.

Warhammer 40K has a Photon Grenade that emits an intense burst of light upon detonation, with attendant blinding effects, so it’s something I’ve put some thought into for my crossover project.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a luma flare in Rules of Engagement that can flash blind someone.

Keep in mind that Stormtrooper helmets prevent flash blinding because of their auto-polarizing lenses.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also make it initialy a standard to hit with his weapon vs the target's dodge, to see if he even hit the eyes..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dazzling Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Hi,

I ended up asking him to roll a straight up Dex roll vs. a Per roll for his opponent. He succeeded and his enemy lost his next action.

I actually like this. I might do it as a Dex vs. Dodge. If you wanted to you could add a damage code vs. target Perception, but that could get REALLY cumbersome, pretty quickly. Combat is always a bit sluggish in D6, and adding more rolls probably won't do you any favors. But if someone were to try this against a PC, you'd want some way to resist.

But the effect of losing an action I think is creative, new, interesting, and proportionate. Good on you.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded. Losing an action does a good job of representing that moment of disorientation from sudden sensory input, when your body reacts instinctively to protect from sudden, harmful sensory input.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dazzling Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Hi,

Hi yourself Deano

deano wrote:

I would have them roll PER against a set difficulty depending on the situation and mechanic of the dazzle.

deano wrote:
One of my players has a laser sight attachment on his blaster and he wanted to shine it in someone's eyes to dazzle them. In the interest of speed as I couldn't recall seeing any rules on this, I ended up asking him to roll a straight up Dex roll vs. a Per roll for his opponent. He succeeded and his enemy lost his next action. Didn't treat it as stun or anything, just the loss of an action. Perhaps quick and dirty, but it seemed appropriate at the time.

I like how you handled this. The game is meant to be played fast and loose. If you wanted more crunch, I would go with the DEX vs PER+4D. If successful, -2D to all actions for two rounds (just because that is how long stun lasts). On a +10 over difficulty, in my games a Spectacular Success, the target would be either 1. -4D to all skill checks for 2 rounds, then -2D for two rounds or blinded until the end of the scene, -4D to all skill checks. Also, movement would be down to 1/2 (cautious).
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Based on your feedback and suggestions, how does weapon skill (blaster in this case) vs. PER+10 sound? On balance I think I prefer PER for defence in this mechanism as it's less about getting out of the way and more shutting your eyes or turning away with the realisation of being targeted in this way. The +10 modified represents the eyes being a relatively small target and helps to balance skill vs. attribute rolls. I'll stick with the dropping the next action too.

Thoughts?

Deano
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There also doesn't appear to be any rules for flash-blinding? Or am I blind? (pun intended Very Happy )
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree with the difficulties suggested by others.

The "dazzler" is an actual device that was issued to US forces in OIF/OEF. It is a stupidly bright laser that can be used to identify objects/targets at very long distances, as well as being dangerous to the eyes.

The problem with making it analogous to a standard attack roll is that a blaster fires a single bolt at very fast speed in whatever direction the weapon was pointed when the bolt leaves the barrel. Since the very act of pulling the trigger can pull a weapon slightly off the intended point of aim, this is not representative of what an attack roll with a blaster represents.

A laser is a constant-on affair and the "attacker" can adjust if his initial impact is off by a bit. Furthermore, if there is a method of aiming the laser using sights, since there is no recoil or trigger jerking, its virtually impossible to miss once the "shooter" has DOPE'd his mechanical offset.

Of all the suggestions mentioned so far, IMO, your original Dex vs Per probably best represents how this might translate into D6 rules.

It's really not much different than trying to "dodge" a flashlight: it will only dazzle you if it is shined directly in your eyes: its not too difficult to "scribble" on the target's face using the dazzler, even if you miss the eye by a few inches initially.
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights Naaman. Really helpful
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the difficulties suggested by others.

The "dazzler" is an actual device that was issued to US forces in OIF/OEF. It is a stupidly bright laser that can be used to identify objects/targets at very long distances, as well as being dangerous to the eyes.

The problem with making it analogous to a standard attack roll is that a blaster fires a single bolt at very fast speed in whatever direction the weapon was pointed when the bolt leaves the barrel. Since the very act of pulling the trigger can pull a weapon slightly off the intended point of aim, this is not representative of what an attack roll with a blaster represents.

A laser is a constant-on affair and the "attacker" can adjust if his initial impact is off by a bit. Furthermore, if there is a method of aiming the laser using sights, since there is no recoil or trigger jerking, its virtually impossible to miss once the "shooter" has DOPE'd his mechanical offset.

Of all the suggestions mentioned so far, IMO, your original Dex vs Per probably best represents how this might translate into D6 rules.

It's really not much different than trying to "dodge" a flashlight: it will only dazzle you if it is shined directly in your eyes: its not too difficult to "scribble" on the target's face using the dazzler, even if you miss the eye by a few inches initially.

Plus with laser pointers and the like, the beam can be in a color not readily seen.. TILL its in your eyes!
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year!

Finally got around to formalising the rules on Dazzling and also Flash-Blinding as it appear to be completely absent from the rules. Welcome any comments or builds.

Dazzle & Flash-Blind

In combat, any advantage that can be gained can make the difference between life and death. Whether it is a few precious seconds or the element of surprise, it can turn a firefight on its head. High-powered illuminators or targeted intense light from a laser sight can flash-blind or dazzle unsuspecting hostiles giving such an advantage.

Dazzle
To dazzle an opponent the attacker aims a laser sight, laser pointer or similar device at their target’s eyes. Attackers must be able to see the defender’s eyes (or where they would be if they are wearing something that obscures them) to initiate the action. This is always an opposed roll with the attacker rolling Dexterity and the defender rolling Perception. If the attacker’s roll is equal to or greater than the defender’s roll, the defender is ‘dazzled’ and loses their next action either for the current round or their first action of following round. Defenders wearing polarized lenses cannot be dazzled.

Flash-Blind
While characters may be flash-blinded by a variety of means and circumstances, these rules specifically cover the use of high-powered illuminators to flash-blind a person. They may be adapted to another situation where appropriate.

To flash-blind an opponent the attacker switches on a high-powered illuminator directed at their target’s eyes. Attackers must be able to see the defender’s eyes (or where they would be if they are wearing something that obscures them) and be within 5 meters of them to initiate the action. This is always an opposed roll with the attacker rolling Dexterity and the defender rolling Perception. If the attacker’s roll is equal to or greater than the defender’s roll, the defender is ‘flash-blinded’ for the remainder of the round and all of the following round. If attacker’s roll exceeded the defender’s roll by 10 or more the effects of the flash-blinding last an additional round. Flash-blinded characters suffer a penalty of -4D to all skill rolls and attribute rolls that require the use of eyesight. Defenders wearing polarized lenses cannot be flash-blinded.

Flash-Blind Modifiers:
+1D to the attacker’s roll: The ambient light level is low
+2D to the attacker’s roll: The ambient light level is complete darkness
+2D to the attacker’s roll: The target is wearing lowlight eyewear or is sensitive to light
+1D to the defender’s roll: The ambient light level is daylight or well-lit

Deano
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to reference the rules for the Flashstick from page 21 of the Weapons compilation created by Thiago Aranha. I thought it was from one of the supplements, but it says its source was Coruscant and the Core Worlds, which was not a WEG publication.

However, for what it is worth, the flash stick says it 'blinds' the target for 1D+2 rounds. This leaves the effects upto the GM, but if you aren't planning on blinding as a routine event, I think what you did was fine.

If your players try to blind all the time, they should face more enemies who are not affected, such as the stormtroopers earlier mentioned.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano wrote:

Dazzle
To dazzle an opponent the attacker aims a laser sight, laser pointer or similar device at their target’s eyes. Attackers must be able to see the defender’s eyes (or where they would be if they are wearing something that obscures them) to initiate the action. This is always an opposed roll with the attacker rolling Dexterity and the defender rolling Perception. If the attacker’s roll is equal to or greater than the defender’s roll, the defender is ‘dazzled’ and loses their next action either for the current round or their first action of following round. Defenders wearing polarized lenses cannot be dazzled.

Glad to see you're back Deano.. Now on to your stuff.

Since they are trying to HIT the eyes with a laser beam, imo it should be a straight up to hit vs dodge, BUT APPLY the Called shot penalties, as per page 91in the R&E rule book
Quote:
Add +1D to the difficulty for a target 10 to 50
centimeters long. Add +4D to the difficulty for a target
one to 10 centimeters long. Add +8D to the difficulty for a target less than a centimeter long.
, based on the size of the eyes... Most i'd put in the 1 to 10 cm size...
IF hit, THEN the target should do a Per check, to see if he avoided getting blinded, or dazzled.

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I was going to reference the rules for the Flashstick from page 21 of the Weapons compilation created by Thiago Aranha. I thought it was from one of the supplements, but it says its source was Coruscant and the Core Worlds, which was not a WEG publication.

However, for what it is worth, the flash stick says it 'blinds' the target for 1D+2 rounds. This leaves the effects upto the GM, but if you aren't planning on blinding as a routine event, I think what you did was fine.

If your players try to blind all the time, they should face more enemies who are not affected, such as the stormtroopers earlier mentioned.

OR the enemies should be trying to flash blind THEM Back, just as often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: