The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zorro (New D6 System Game)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Zorro (New D6 System Game) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Initiative is kinda neat. Everyone makes their rolls for their actions... and then whoever rolled highest goes first.

So, if I'm shooting Whill (sorry, Whill), and he's shooting me, we each roll Markmanship. If we both succeed, but I rolled better, then I hit. Because I hit, I stun him, at least (q.v. two posts up), meaning he doesn't get to do anything. Next round, he will roll Agility to stand up (or maybe he'll shoot me while lying down), and I'll move over to intimidate him... whoever rolls better wins.

Essentially 1st Ed Star Wars. I like this style myself.

MrNexx wrote:
Note: Skills are NOT added to attributes. If I have 3D Agility and 2D Marksmanship, I roll 2D to shoot people, not 5D.

This seems odd. Why even have attributes if you're just going to roll skill dice only? If Marksmanship is listed as an Agility skill and you don't put any skill dice into it, would you still be able to fire a weapon using Agility? If so, it would be silly to put points to a skill that "dumbs down" your ability to shoot unless you can raise it above your base attribute level. I can see it if they've added a penalty for all skills taking a negative modifier for being attempted unskilled, but it just seems simpler to do it the old fashioned way to me.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I got my PDF! I'll put some time into reading it today, if I can.

Thanks for the run down, Nexx. It seems they were inspired by SW 1e for Initiative. Advantages are like the good version of Wild Die Complications. I have the Wild Die explode like normal, but I do already have a version of this in my game. Sometimes if the roll far exceeds the difficulty with a Wild Die explosion, I'll add some little good effect to the success.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:

MrNexx wrote:
Note: Skills are NOT added to attributes. If I have 3D Agility and 2D Marksmanship, I roll 2D to shoot people, not 5D.

This seems odd. Why even have attributes if you're just going to roll skill dice only? If Marksmanship is listed as an Agility skill and you don't put any skill dice into it, would you still be able to fire a weapon using Agility? If so, it would be silly to put points to a skill that "dumbs down" your ability to shoot unless you can raise it above your base attribute level. I can see it if they've added a penalty for all skills taking a negative modifier for being attempted unskilled, but it just seems simpler to do it the old fashioned way to me.

That's actually something I am trying to determine.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Jamfke wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

My earlier post was wrong.

Quote:
When you determine your die code, you’ll take the rating of your Attribute (1 through 5), and the rating of your Skill (0 through 10) and add them together to form the XD part of the die code. For example, a 2 in Agility, and a 2 in Acrobatics, would result in 4D. You’d roll 4 six-sided dice and total them to determine the result of the action.

I am glad I was wrong; this makes much more sense.

(In my defense, the spacing on it is iffy; the quoted section looks like part of the Willpower skill description, and I was reading quickly)
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Jamfke wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

My earlier post was wrong.

Quote:
When you determine your die code, you’ll take the rating of your Attribute (1 through 5), and the rating of your Skill (0 through 10) and add them together to form the XD part of the die code. For example, a 2 in Agility, and a 2 in Acrobatics, would result in 4D. You’d roll 4 six-sided dice and total them to determine the result of the action.

I am glad I was wrong; this makes much more sense.

(In my defense, the spacing on it is iffy; the quoted section looks like part of the Willpower skill description, and I was reading quickly)

No worries. I tend to skip over things sometimes too when I'm excited over something. Keep us updated as you go!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
No worries. I tend to skip over things sometimes too when I'm excited over something. Keep us updated as you go!

Mechanically, there's not a lot more that's really novel; Whips are the only weapon that use Agility rather than Brawn or a set die code. There are templates, and there's stuff about Alta California, including a bestiary... but nothing really to excite people who are here for D6 and not necessarily Zorro.

Tying back to this, arc-based advancement takes only single codes, not your whole pool, into account. So, if I have a 4D Agility and a 2D Melee, I may roll 6D, but when I am trying to improve my Melee skill, I only need a 2-point arc.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Quote:
When you hit a target, roll your weapon’s damage dice. Then, the GM rolls Brawn dice for your target. How badly you injure the target depends on the two rolls:

ӹBrawn Roll greater than Damage Roll: Stunned.
ӹDamage Roll greater than or equal to Brawn Roll: Wounded
ӹDamage Roll greater than or equal to Brawn Roll, and Brawn Roll produced a
Complication: Mortally Wounded.

Stunned drops you prone for a round. Wounded does the same, and gives you a 1D penalty until healed (which requires medical treatment or 24 hours rest). 2nd wound incapacitates. Mortally wounded is unconscious and rolling 2d6 every round; under the current number of rounds and you are dead.

Just like in 1 ed. I guess when you face larger creatures, double STR roll (vs damage) should cause no stun effect.

Quote:

Defense Number
Each Character has two Defense numbers. These numbers are easily calculated and represent how hard a character is to hit in combat (either Melee or Ranged.)

The two defenses are:
ӹDodge: Dodge is used to avoid Ranged Attacks, surprises, and traps.
ӹParry: Parry is used to block melee attacks, get out of the way, and avoid being struck by close combat.

Each defense is calculated like so:
ӹDodge = Perception x 5, so a Perception of 2 would give a Dodge Defense of 10.
ӹParry = Agility x 5, so an Agility of 3 would give a Parry Defense of 15.

So this makes you rather an easy target as you do not improve attributes as fast as skills. (?)
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Quote:

Defense Number
Each Character has two Defense numbers. These numbers are easily calculated and represent how hard a character is to hit in combat (either Melee or Ranged.)

The two defenses are:
ӹDodge: Dodge is used to avoid Ranged Attacks, surprises, and traps.
ӹParry: Parry is used to block melee attacks, get out of the way, and avoid being struck by close combat.

Each defense is calculated like so:
ӹDodge = Perception x 5, so a Perception of 2 would give a Dodge Defense of 10.
ӹParry = Agility x 5, so an Agility of 3 would give a Parry Defense of 15.

So this makes you rather an easy target as you do not improve attributes as fast as skills. (?)

Mini Six does something similar but uses the actual skill to calculate the total. Like for Parry it's weapon skill dice x3 + pips. I guess it would balance out with x5 since they aren't using pips, but at least you can raise the skill quicker.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:

Mini Six does something similar but uses the actual skill to calculate the total. Like for Parry it's weapon skill dice x3 + pips. I guess it would balance out with x5 since they aren't using pips, but at least you can raise the skill quicker.

Maybe in Zorro static defense is combined with distance difficulty?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the new system is going to have rules for sailing ships and combat on the high seas?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Anyone know if the new system is going to have rules for sailing ships and combat on the high seas?

They don't right now, but I could see Acrobatics getting a workout on sailing ships, and the Perception skill "Driving/Riding/Piloting" includes Boats.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Special note, to me, is the different way of handling a Wild Die when you've already succeeded.

Quote:

(....)

Advantage
Advantages are narrative implications that the Player can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 6.
(...)
Complications
Complications are narrative implications that the GM can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 1.

I adapted these rules to my game for beginning characters. Hero gets CP(s) for 6 on Wild, but I made a distinction that these CPs are for boost roll only not for skill improvement.

Surprisingly it works fine, especially when a player needs one or two extra dice to save his skin. Fits the Ep IV scenes perfectly, where "Luke-the-inexperienced-farmer" was able to avoid being hit by "elite" stormtroopers even in narrow corridors Wink
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I wish WEG had done was make a distinction between "Save your bacon" CPs and "Build your character CPs". Early Deadlands didn't, either, and I found it lead to way too much metagaming.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Something I wish WEG had done was make a distinction between "Save your bacon" CPs and "Build your character CPs". Early Deadlands didn't, either, and I found it lead to way too much metagaming.

That's simple enough. Just split them up. In 1e, they have skill points, not character points. I have skill points and character points. SPs are the base points given for completing adventures, and they are for character building only. CPs are given out as the bonus points for good roleplaying, etc., and these can be used as they are in 2e, for either character building in between adventures or boosting rolls in play.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed there was an updated download of Zorro available, bookmarked and hyperlinked.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/302462/ZorroTM-The-Roleplaying-Game
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: