The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Target exclusive Retro Figure Line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Target exclusive Retro Figure Line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Target exclusive Retro Figure Line Reply with quote

Did anyone find any? I kept checking two Targets and never saw a thing.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: http://jedibusiness.com/star-wars-figures.aspx?type=toyline&typeName=retro
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Target exclusive Retro Figure Line Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: http://jedibusiness.com/star-wars-figures.aspx?type=toyline&typeName=retro

I'll stop by one of my Targets tonight and check.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Target exclusive Retro Figure Line Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

I've heard (on one of those "other" Star Wars forums) that they're pretty much gone. Seems like Target employees scalped them all on eBay. However in the fall they're going to be released to other retailers.

And here I thought I was gonna get to see Kenner SW figs in rows under the fluorescent lighting of a chain retailer once again. Guess I'll have to wait until Fall.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Target exclusive Retro Figure Line Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

I've heard (on one of those "other" Star Wars forums) that they're pretty much gone. Seems like Target employees scalped them all on eBay. However in the fall they're going to be released to other retailers.

And here I thought I was gonna get to see Kenner SW figs in rows under the fluorescent lighting of a chain retailer once again. Guess I'll have to wait until Fall.

Yeah there weren't any retro-vintage figures. Lots of Resistance cartoon figures though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Target exclusive Retro Figure Line Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Partial success!!!

A scalper, presumably tired of having their money tied up, sold me 3 of the collection for original retail. Something about looking at them today when they came in the mail inspired me to go to hunting at Target. My Targets still have the boardgame with Tarkin! I got two.

Hopefully they really do issue these for broad release in the fall. But at least I'm not feeling completely left out of the fun now.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'm gonna have to go back to Target.

TauntaunScout wrote:

That retro-Tarkin is funny as there never was a real vintage Tarkin figure. I can understand why because in 1978 he was just a crusty old villain who blew up in the first film - Not something most little kids would fancy. I have the first Takin figure (PotF '97) still on the card.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Nice. I'm gonna have to go back to Target.

TauntaunScout wrote:

That retro-Tarkin is funny as there never was a real vintage Tarkin figure. I can understand why because in 1978 he was just a crusty old villain who blew up in the first film - Not something most little kids would fancy. I have the first Takin figure (PotF '97) still on the card.

If you want a Tarkin (I did as a kid) he's actually easy for me to get! The re-issue boargame with Tarkin is still well-stocked in 3 local Targets! I haven't checked the other two. It's $20 for ye olde boardgame with retro Tarkin.

Turns out Target totally botched this. They put the figures exclusively in a pop-up Father's Day display in MEN'S CLOTHING of all places, then clearanced them out after June. So now I am haunting the clearance aisles of every Target for miles, hoping against hope to find more.

Maybe I was a weird kid but I always wanted Tarkin, and/or a generic officer in a green uniform to use as Piett. They had more onscreen interaction with Darth Vader than any other characters.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is weird for a kid to want Tarkin figure. ANH has been my favorite film for 42 years now, and he was the main villain of that film. But I do think that most kids back then wouldn't have cared about a Tarkin figure. I didn't really want one until 1997 when he first came out.

My figure collecting has severely dropped off in since Rogue One. I only have one carded figure for TLJ, a Jedi Master Luke. Figure collecting has frustrated me because some are so hard to find. It shouldn't have been so hard to track down TFA Rey. And then Solo figures really pissed me off because with the film's release there didn't make single-carded figures of Han or Lando! (You had to buy the dialogue chip reader device with Han, and Lando was part of a two-pack with some background alien or someone.) I could not find any L3 figures. I'm not driving all over town searching for these or paying high prices to get them online. Is it just too much to ask for me to be able to just drive to one store and find all the figures I want? Ah, it's just as well. My bookshelf tops are full of OOP figures on display, and my big carded figure tote is pretty close to full.

I didn't know that these vintage throwback figures were in the men's section of Target in June and then went to clearance, so it looks like I missed my window there. I appreciate the offer, but I'm good with the Tarkin figure I already have. By the way, what board game did the vintagesque Tarkin come with? If I got any of these vintage throwback figures, it would be mostly for nostalgic purposes because I only have a real vintage Boba Fett and Blue Snaggletooth. A Luke with the arm-telescoping yellow lightsaber would just be neat to have.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarkin is in a re-issue of "Escape from the Deathstar".

The 3.75 line is such a mess these days and has been for quite awhile. If my kids want 3.75 inch SW action figures someday I am liable to go into a gaming store and say "How much for ALL your 90's figures?". Every gaming store I know is sitting on a huge pile of 90's carded figs that they can't move.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humph, and Target had to mess up so badly here in Canada that they didn't even last a year after buying Zellers.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These figures never did seem to make it to wide release in the fall as promised. However, distributors made them available to online merchants, I picked up 2 complete sets with the help of Dorkside Toys.

Target's mishandling of these was amazingly bad. They only sold them in Men's Clothing (so nobody found them when we went looking in Toys) in a pop-up Father's Day holiday display. Then clearanced them out after a Father's Day.

Anyways, now I have one to open and one to save from the line. I will say they do a lot to evaporate my interest in ever carded originals. I do wish I could get early figures on late cards though. Might have to learn how to do my own custom MOC's...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: