The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
One of the reasons I disliked the EU so much is because there was so much weird stuff added in by various creators that then forced everyone else to bend to or rely on retcons.

I don't want to see more of that happening in the official movie canon.

Too late. It's already happened in canon.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
...they decide to add something to the Star Wars universe like Star Trek transporters, or a time travel portal to Earth or something...

A movie with that stuff would be a portal straight out of Star Wars' genre. Some fans expressed hope that Episode IX would introduce time-travel to undo TLJ, or for IX to reveal TLJ was all just a bad dream. I get not liking the TLJ, but stuff like that in TRoS would break genre faster than Ackbar dying in a vacuum. The solution would be worse than the problem, and why should another director ruin his movie too?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time travel to undo a movie would be worse than the, "It was all a dream" scenario.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Time travel to undo a movie would be worse than the, "It was all a dream" scenario.

+1. Most time travel stories annoy me because no one seems to agree on how time travel works, whether you are actually changing the past and thus the future of the original timeline or whether you create an alternate universe entirely when you travel to the past and "change" it.

Not to mention that time travel is a trope so completely alien to the Star Wars universe that chesire is right: using it in Star Wars would utterly ruin the franchise. Rolling Eyes

Time travel might be appropriate in some sci-fi stories but it does not belong in space opera.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Too late. It's already happened in canon.

I know. The operative word is *more*.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Time travel might be appropriate in some sci-fi stories but it does not belong in space opera.

The list of things that don't belong in Star Wars, that are now in actual real SW movies, not even novels and stuff, is pretty long in my opinion. So brace yourself. Nothing's sacred.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fandom.com/curated/disney-reveals-the-next-star-wars-film-is-from-game-of-thrones-creators

Bob Iger has revealed that the 2022 SW film will be the Game of Throne guys film, not Rian Johnson. We still don't know for sure if the 2024 and 2026 films will be in that same series, or include a Rian Johnson film or standalone, but I don't think they want to separate episodes of a series by more than 2 years, so I bet they will be the same series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how the final two seasons of Game of Thrones have gone...I am....considerably less enthused about their project than I once would have been.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the fan rage is palpable with GoT now. I get what they were going for, but it's got a lot of the long-time fans less than pleased. On the bright side, my girlfriend (huge GoT fan) finally gets why I get upset over some revisions and sloppy writing in Star Wars, so this latest fiasco has actually brought us closer. Smile
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

+1. Most time travel stories annoy me because no one seems to agree on how time travel works, whether you are actually changing the past and thus the future of the original timeline or whether you create an alternate universe entirely when you travel to the past and "change" it.

Not to mention that time travel is a trope so completely alien to the Star Wars universe that chesire is right: using it in Star Wars would utterly ruin the franchise. Rolling Eyes

Or ate least ruin that particular movie. At this point, we're getting enough films that we can pretty well pick and choose which media we want to pay attention to, like we did with the EU novels. I mean, yeah, it's all cannon, but we all have our favorites and least favorites. If they made Rise of the Skywalkers all about time travel, clown shoes, and space cocaine I think I'd still enjoy ANH just as much. Smile

But yeah, no one has ever really nailed down how time travel works. The sci-fi that deals with it best is the one that just sort of revels in the fact that it doesn't make sense, and they can just have fun with it.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Or ate least ruin that particular movie. At this point, we're getting enough films that we can pretty well pick and choose which media we want to pay attention to, like we did with the EU novels. I mean, yeah, it's all cannon, but we all have our favorites and least favorites. If they made Rise of the Skywalkers all about time travel, clown shoes, and space cocaine I think I'd still enjoy ANH just as much. Smile

Excellent point. Even if the new film went back in time to ANH and altered the events of ANH, it still couldn't change the ANH film or my appreciation of it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if Kylo went back and assassinated Jar Jar, I'd like both TPM & TFA a LOT more... Smile
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If they made Rise of the Skywalkers all about time travel, clown shoes, and space cocaine I think I'd still enjoy ANH just as much. Smile

Sounds like someone's a fan of Heavy Metal (1981).

I have no idea what to expect anymore. Even for its cliffhanger ending, ESB was a coherent story. A big problem I have with both new trilogies is that the movies don't feel like a coherent story unless you watch a 9 hour movie (and maybe not even then). That worked for LOTR, but SW isn't LOTR.

The new trilogy is a total wild card, no sense getting too invested till I see it.

Hollywood has horribly mismanaged all my favorites over the years. My expectations are low. Just with what's announced, there will have been what? 17 feature length movies, a holiday special, 6 television series? If anything I've made errors of omission, and there's even more than that.

That's a massive amount of screen material. Just having that much sheer stuff, already removes SW from a big piece of what used to make it distinct from other franchises. It used to be halfways manageable and compact unlike a lot of what else what out there.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

So the Game of Thrones guys quit Star Wars (citing lack of time), and their trilogy has been cancelled. So that leaves us with Rian Johnson's trilogy, and a film made by the Marvel Studios chief (if not a part of Rian's Johnson's trilogy). The good news is we will still likely get a three-year break from Star Wars films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what a hash those two made out of Game of Thrones once they ran out of original material to cheat off of, I can't say I'm sad to see them go. As far as Johnson? I despise the man for his part in the current trainwreck, but he did okay with Looper. His "subverting expectations" schtick was utterly wrong for the trilogy, but would probably fit better with something like an anthology, separate from the core story line.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
His "subverting expectations" schtick was utterly wrong for the trilogy, but would probably fit better with something like an anthology, separate from the core story line.

I concur. But I'm trying to keep an open mind that maybe a more original trilogy under Johnson might be better than how he dealt with the legacies of Luke, Leia, and Ackbar. There sure as hell better not be anything like the word "faster" meaning the same speed again.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: