The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney+ Platform/Non-Star-Wars Programming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Disney+ Platform/Non-Star-Wars Programming Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Kytross wrote:
The Simpsons was what tipped the scale for me. That's a show I can put on in the background while gaming or writing and not get distracted by it, but still enjoy the humor. At least the first ten seasons or so.

Oddly enough, Season Ten is roughly where I stopped watching The Simpsons.... How many seaons of The Simpsons are we at today? I lost count, is it like 28 seasons by now or something?

The Simpsons is currently in its 31st season. I haven't watched it yet on Disney+, but D+ reportedly has 30 seasons, everything but the current one.

I also stopped watching the show after the 10th season. I feel that Seasons 3 and 4 were the best, but 5 - 8 were still great. 9 and 10 were ok. The movie was pretty good. I've caught a smattering of episodes over the last 20 years, mostly to my overall disappointment. I came to the conclusion that they put their funniest jokes into the first few minutes of the episodes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some help. I have questions related to Disney+ accessibility. Here is some background...

My family has internet at home but no cable TV. We currently have one HD TV that is 10 years old in our living room, an old boob tube TV in the basement that currently can only be used for DVDs and VHS. The HD TV used to get digital broadcast but stopped being compatible so we can't even watch local broadcast channels. This TV has a blu-ray player attached that that has the Netflix app on it. We also have Hulu but the blu-ray stopped being compatible with Hulu. We can't add apps to the blu-ray. This TV also currently has my son's Xbox attached which can get Hulu, Amazon Video/CBS, and Disney+. We can add apps to the Xbox.

We plan to turn the basement into more of a "game room" (or "man cave" but don't call it that around my wife). We also plan to get a second HD TV to get local digital broadcast TV back. The new TV will go upstairs in the living room because it doesn't make sense to try to get a broadcast signal in the basement. That means the existing TV and the Xbox will move down to the basement game room (and we will get rid of the old boob tube TV). We will need a second blu-ray player so we can play blu-rays on both TVs. We want to have access to all of our apps on both TVs. My computer is incompatible for screencasting to our existing TV.

So my question is, how do you get Disney+ to your TV? Do you get it on a phone, tablet, or computer and screencast it to your TV? Or is your TV a smart TV that has apps, and if so can you add new apps (like Disney+)? Or do you have some device attached to your TV that play apps, and if so can you add new apps to that? Is there a monthly service fee for using the device? Please advise. Thank you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caveat: I do not actually have Disney+.

That said, we have two HD TVs. One is specifically an Amazon Fire TV, which loads apps. The other is a standard TV, but with an Amazon Fire Stick, which plugs into an HDMI slot and turns it into a Smart TV.

In both cases, they're connected to our Amazon account, and since we pay for Prime, we get access to Prime programming and other things we have accounts with. Disney+ would function similarly; we'd download the app to the stick and/or the TV, give it our Disney+ account information, and watch from there.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roku
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

TheEvilDM wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels. The animation style repels me for some reason. I literally feel a compulsion to avert my gaze when they're on.

I will give the actual cartoon Clone Wars a chance somday. But since it's not on D+... well, one more hurdle.

All 6 seasons of Clone Wars is on Disney Plus, I was just watching it to refresh myself for the new season.

TS, I'm surprised you missed that TCW is on Disney+. Season 7 will begin there on February 17th.

All four seasons of Rebels is there now. Being that it is set close to the classic era, you will probably like it better than TCW. But they are certainly no Mandalorian.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

TheEvilDM wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels. The animation style repels me for some reason. I literally feel a compulsion to avert my gaze when they're on.

I will give the actual cartoon Clone Wars a chance somday. But since it's not on D+... well, one more hurdle.

All 6 seasons of Clone Wars is on Disney Plus, I was just watching it to refresh myself for the new season.

TS, I'm surprised you missed that TCW is on Disney+. Season 7 will begin there on February 17th.

TauntaunScout clearly talks about the cartoon Clone Wars (2003) series not being on D+, and not about the animated TCW that have the new season coming soon.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels. The animation style repels me for some reason.

TauntaunScout clearly talks about the cartoon Clone Wars (2003) series not being on D+, and not about the animated TCW that have the new season coming soon.

You're correct. He did clarify on the other thread. And of course he didn't state "The". However, I still don't see how that is "clearly" what he meant. People commonly leave out "The" when they refer to TCW. And his very next sentence is about the animation style (singular). TCW and Rebels have the same animation style (I think it is called "Wooden Beard, Knobby Nose 3D"). The original Clone Wars series was not the 3D animation, so I wouldn't consider it to be the same animation style as Rebels.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I somehow thought it was clear from the context. I'm a bit oblivious to the best/most common was people refer to the two series but contextually it's often fairy certain which one is mentioned, which often means TCW as it's the later one and had way longer run-time.
TauntaunScout wrote:

The animation style of "Clone Wars" and "Rebels" repels TauntaunScout, so from lumping them together in both description and taste, one could think the animated, later Clone Wars series was the one referred to in this context. Or as you specified:
Whill wrote:
TCW and Rebels have the same animation style (I think it is called "Wooden Beard, Knobby Nose 3D").

By referring to a "cartoon" Clone Wars as a separate thing, it further drives the point home that TS meant "3D animated" when saying "animated", and that "cartoons" aren't a part of this category. I my experience, this kind of distinction is fairly common in general.
TauntaunScout wrote:

Saying that their prefered "Clone Wars" series isn't available on D+(don't know if this is the case, but as it's not Canon & conflicts with TCW, there is no real reason to doubt this, and this wasn't challenged by others) continued to keep things self-consistent without having to consider TauntaunScout to be mistaken. As a non-native English speaker, it's possible that I read things in a more contextual light, rather than relying on the exact wording people use. Anyway, what's "obvious" is a fairly subjective thing, and can vary between between folks, so I can accept that we just simply disagree on how clear TauntaunScout was or wasn't, and move on.

Anyway, back to the topic:

I'm looking forward to TCW season 7, Mandalorian, and the Obi-Wan series, and will subscribe to Disney+ when it becomes available in Europe & TCW season comes out, and will binge in a month or two the Mandalorian and season 7 within a month or two. Will check out Resistance but dunno yet if I will watch all of it.
Then gonna unsub and probably wait until the Obi Wan series/Rebels sequel or the Old Republic this comes, whichever comes first.
I see it unlikely that I'd stay subbed to only watch Mandalorian as it comes out, but I could split up on a subscription cost with the family so who knows.

It's still not clear when it will launch in my home country, as the European launch date of March 31st only includes UK, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain, but a newspaper got confirmation that it will be available for us "at the start of the year", so it should mean it's not that much later than March 31st.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: The Simpsons on Disney+ Reply with quote

Disney+ still hasn't put The Simpsons in the proper original 4:3 aspect ratio. We have a nice new big TV and I would not at all mind black bars on the right and left of the screen to see everything. Tonight we watched "Duffless" and I had to describe to my wife the cut-off sight gag about the three flavors of Duff beer being filled by the same pipe. Disney said they were going to fix this months ago!

Mad

Some Star Wars References in The Simpsons
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D+ has the worst behind the scenes work I've ever seen on a streaming service. The search function is laughable. Also D+ jams up constantly, unlike my other services.

It's ALMOST as if running a digital streaming service ISN'T just free money and Netflix & Hulu's prior experience actually makes them good at doing the hard work. Weird.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
D+ has the worst behind the scenes work I've ever seen on a streaming service. The search function is laughable. Also D+ jams up constantly, unlike my other services.

It's ALMOST as if running a digital streaming service ISN'T just free money and Netflix & Hulu's prior experience actually makes them good at doing the hard work. Weird.

I haven't had any trouble with the search function, but then again I haven't used it much since the very beginning where I added a stuff to my list so it is readily available now.

We have experienced occasional hiccups with Disney+, but they haven't been that frequent, and every single time all we have to do it exit and go back right to it and it plays immediately. It could be that with the little ones you are using it a lot more than we are so problem are more frequent for you.

Netflix and Hulu probably had more issues when they started. We only got Hulu a few years ago, and I didn't switch to Netflix until Blockbuster DVD-by-mail folded in 2013, and even then it was a while before I added streaming to our Netflix. I have since gotten rid of the DVD plan because I didn't end up caring much for most movies I was renting and with a slowly increasing library of owned movies, I finally realized that I was was watching too many new movies (including new old movies).

I read a financial analysis of Netflix recently. Netflix was worried about Disney+ being too much competition but actually subscriber totals are increasing and were even before the pandemic. Netflix has aggressively put all profits into original programming which has lead to more subscribers and more original programming, and it keeps building. (I don't know if any of that programming is good because I mainly only watch Star Trek on it.) What they have found is that most consumers who subscribe to any internet TV apps subscribe to multiple ones, so analysts predict that Netflix will be around for at least 10 more years. And when Disney bought 20th Century Fox, Disney's ownership of Hulu increased to 60%. Disney is putting exclusive content on Hulu that will not be on Disney+ (I think all FX channel stuff), so Hulu isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But Disney isn't just getting free money. Subscribing Disney+ is why I haven't paid them for TRoS on home video (not for me, but for my son and wife who liked it more than I did). I'm sure TRoS home video sales are worse than any prior Star Wars film, but mainly because of Disney+ having it and not because the film is horrible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney Plus ALWAYS has to be logged into twice. The first time I log in, it just kicks back to the home screen and I have to select it and log in again. Every single time. And it always works the second try. I tried resetting everything, it's just a weird problem with Disney.

The search function is BAD. I use search terms that should return loads of results on any other platform and it's always "no results found". Like searching for "pan" won't bring up all the Peter Pan stuff for a hypothetical example.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Disney+ Search Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The search function is BAD. I use search terms that should return loads of results on any other platform and it's always "no results found". Like searching for "pan" won't bring up all the Peter Pan stuff for a hypothetical example.

That's search disfunction for sure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/willow-sequel-series-warwick-davis-jon-m-chu-disney-plus-1234811000/

A Willow sequel series on D+ is officially happening. I'll bet Dallas Bryce Howard will be directing an episode, seeing as she has experience directing The Mandalorian, and her father directed the original film. Maybe even Ron Howard himself will produce.

If Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley can be involved in some way, great, but they must have Kilmer and Whalley's real-life son and daughter (both also actors) appear as Madmartigan and Sorsha's biological children. They don't have to be main characters, but they should appear since their parents met filming Willow and the characters fall in love in the film.

I'm mostly really happy for Warwick Davis. He just seems like a really great guy and he has had to wear so many masks in his career, and now he gets a TV show where he doesn't have to.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally in for anything with Warwick Davis. I'm having mixed feelings about everything else, though. I mean, it could be great. Or it could be not so great.

Though, really, Willow isn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece as it is. It is kind of campy, but it really was fun. I suppose if they can keep the same spirit and not pretend to be something more than it is, it could be a lot of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: