The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ms. Marvel on Disney+ Reply with quote

If you only see one post-Endgame MCU film in the theater, Spider-Man: No Way Home is the one.

Whill wrote:

Disney+ new MCU series, Ms. Marvel, premiered last week. Nothing very intriguing so far, but we'll see where it goes.

This show ended tonight. It was ok, a whole lotta meh. As far as a teenage superhero origin story goes, Shazam did it much better.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Marvel was okay; good but not great.

Inhumans wasn't very good overall, but had some decent moments. That actor that played Black Bolt (in both the Inhumans and Dr. Strange) is the same one who plays Captain Pike in the brilliant Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, and I like him much better in that.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: The MCU going forward Reply with quote

There were a lot of announcements and a couple trailers from Comic-Con this weekend.

The MCU's "Phase Four" will be completed this year. Here's what's left:

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+ series)
Untitled Halloween special (D+)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (theatrical film)
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (D+)

Out of these I am interested in seeing what they do with the Black Panther sequel. It will have a version of the Sub-Mariner, a character who first appeared in Marvel Comics #1 (1939).

"Phase Five" (2023–2024)

Theatrical Films
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)
The Marvels (2023)
Captain America: New World Order (2024)
Thunderbolts (2024)
Blade (2024)

Disney+ TV Series
What If...? season 2
Secret Invasion
Echo
Loki season 2
Ironheart
Agatha: Coven of Chaos
Daredevil: Born Again

The film I am most interested in is the Sam Wilson Captain America film. The TV series I am most interested in is the Daredevil series, which will of course have Kingpin (and supposedly Jon Bernthal as Punisher). The Daredevil series will be an unprecedented 18 episodes for one season! Daredevil will first appear in She-Hulk coming next month. Daredevil and Kingpin will appear in Echo, a spin-off of Hawkeye.

"Phase Six" (2024–2025)

Theatrical Films
Fantastic Four (2024)
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (2025, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton)
Avengers: Secret Wars (2025)

Phases 1-3 were "The Infinity Saga". It has been revealed that Phases 4-6 comprise the "The Multiverse Saga".

In Development

Theatrical Films
Untitled Deadpool film
Untitled Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings sequel (directed by Destin Daniel Cretton)
Untitled "mutant-centered" film

Disney+ TV Series
Armor Wars
Untitled Wakanda series
Spider-Man: Freshman Year (animated, set before Civil War)
Spider-Man: Sophomore Year
Marvel Zombies
Wonder Man
Untitled Nova series
What If...? (season 3)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting line up. Of that list, the only one i feel a need to see is panther 2...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The MCU going forward Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (D+)

I'm imagining a Groot family reunion, a variety show feel, lots of bad acting, a dance off set to Gamora singing a holiday themed song of some sort...

Wait, nvmd... that's a traumatic flashback of another Sci-Fi holiday Special.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished She-Hulk the other night. It was so bad it made me look back at my reactions to MCU "Phase 4" so far...

MOVIES

Black Widow – good

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – ok

Eternals – bad, near the bottom

No Way Home – good

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – cool concepts wasted on a horror movie, near the bottom

Thor: Love and Thunder – ok

DISNEY+

WandaVision – first three episodes are entirely skippable – the rest were silly, weird, boring, and meh until final episode.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier – good

Loki Season 1 – neat concept but premise is fundamentally flawed, last episode is boring and anti-climactic

What If? Season 1 – first episode is good, the rest are meh

Hawkeye – ok

Moon Knight – interesting concepts and but overall meh show

Ms. Marvel – meh

I Am Groot - meh

Werewolf by Night – meh

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law – So the genre is... 'Deadpool PG'? The final episode said the genre is "legal comedy" but the series was only worth a handful of chuckles. It just got stupider and stupider as it went on. I can appreciate it making fun of the Marvel formula and fanboys, but the final episode was one of the worst things to ever come out with the MCU label.

Phase 4 finishes before the end of the year with these:
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November theatrical film, tickets on sale now)
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (D+ special)

Good+ok are a minority in this post. There has been a significant drop in overall quality of the MCU in Phase 4. Altogether, Phase 4-6 are The Multiverse Saga, which is foreboding because it is based on the flawed multiverse premise kicked off in Loki.

The Disney+ shows are trying to branch out in different genres, but it is not really working. I thought three of the films would be better than they ended up. I find myself less excited about the Black Panther sequel than I was.

It seems they are just going to run the MCU into the ground.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Black Panther: Wakanda... Reply with quote

The Death of the Black Panther Franchise?

We saw Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. It literally had almost no Black Panther in it, and the subtitle is way overstated in relation to the theme of the movie. The film would more aptly be called, "Wakanda For A Little Bit Longer."

It was officially stated that they would not be recasting T'challa in light of the actor's death, and the following is in the cold opening of the film so this not a spoiler: T'challa's death is dealt with very vaguely. He is unshown but dying of some unstated medical condition in a medical chamber offscreen as Shuri rushes to save him. But her mother comes in and tells her it is too late. Then the film has an elaborate closed casket funeral sequence. I say this to unspoil you in case you were expecting something better.

The weak plot of the film is centered around the aftermath of T'challa's mysterious death (and the last of the plant that makes Black Panthers which died with him). I think it would have been better to have another actor (and CG) play T'challa as Black Panther in an opening action sequence where he dies (heroically giving his life to further the plot of this film), but that still wouldn't solve the problem of what to do in the rest of the movie without him. The character Shuri simple couldn't carry the film as the main protagonist. There probably wasn't any good way to make her the main character, so it probably would have been better if they had tried something else.

The movie was long. The characters and stories were lame. There is a rather pointless stinger that deals with the legacy of T'challa, but it doesn't do anything for the film or the MCU. I wasn't expecting the movie to be great, and sadly this is yet just another 'meh' entry in MCU Phase 4. I actually think I enjoyed Black Adam slightly more than Wakanda Forever, but that isn't saying much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 8 reviews i've heard from fellow gamers, only ONE had a very positive review for wakanda forever. Most said it was just 'ok', two were like "this is what i paid for".... guess this will add to the list of other Phase 4 stuff, i won't be seeing.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: quANTuMANia Reply with quote

I forgot to post that in December we saw the final chapter of the MCU's "Phase Four", The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. I had no expectations for it, and it was silly. It's must-see for Kevin Bacon fans though.

garhkal wrote:
So who does everyone think the new big bad will be, for phase 4? Kang?

Tonight my family saw the launch of "Phase Five": Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania in the theater. It was ok but nothing spectacular.

Unfortunately the Quantum Realm is a very dimly lit place, this movie continuing the annoying trend of a lot of dark scenes. Thematically it was off because the film wasn't that literarily "dark" except for one very quick, very busy vision within a flashback. They even went for weird alien comedy like they were trying to outdo GotG in that respect. So it seems the visual darkness of the film is really just to better "hide the seams" of all the special effects.

It is disappointing that Luis and the other two X-Con Security characters do not appear in this movie at all. The actor for Kurt does voice a kooky alien animated character in the Quantum Realm.

The trailers already revealed MODOK makes his MCU debut in the movie. I didn't care for the giant floating head villain in Green Lantern, and a smaller giant floating head with tiny arms and legs hanging out of looks as silly as a sounds.

The trailers also already revealed that Kang makes a proper MCU film supervillain debut in Quantumania. The actor is ok for the role, but this film didn't make me at all excited for Phases Five and Six.

Quanumania has two stingers, one during and the other after the end credits. The latter is a scene from an upcoming episode of a D+ series.

I find that I no longer have any motivation to update the MCU chronological film order image appearing in this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun May 14, 2023 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like yet another movie in the last 2 years, i'll skip.. SO that makes only shang-chi, spiderman no-way home, and eternals i've seen.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Quantumania and I enjoyed it. Was it the greatest Marvel movie? No. Was it terrible as so many on the internet are claiming? No.

Too many are trying to side by side compare it with other MCU movies (the two previous Antman Movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, etc...) don't do this. It is it's own movie, and I think you need to go into it with this in mind. The character of Scott Lang is very recognizable in attitudes and overall on screen presence. I felt that Hope was under used, as was Hank. The main villain was great. So you can see progression of characters from others MCU and previous Ant Man films and they still feel familiar, but the story is much different and much more serious overall - which seems to be what so many hate. I find it funny that some of the same critics that loved the horrid abomination that was Love and Thunder with all of it's dated and bad jokes are commenting that Quantumania has too much silly humor when it doesn't even come close to all the bad and inappropriate comedy in Love and Thunder.

I have not liked a lot from MCU lately (She Hulk was horrible, Hawkeye was terrible, while there were some things in Multiverse of Madness I liked overall I am unhappy with it, Love and Thunder was an abomination in my eyes, as was what little I did watch of the GoG Holiday Special).

This movie I found refreshing. One of the biggest things is I did not notice anywhere's near the heavy handed preachy messages of types that I feel have plagued recent content from Disney. I felt I could watch the movie and escape (which is the point of some types of movies). The overall feel of this movie took me back to the feel of some of the Phase one and two movies where it was fun, action packed, and exciting.

There was a lot of eye candy, and a lot happening (maybe at times too much). There were a few effects I feel did not come off properly (especially a certain supporting villain). Also, let's face it, because of licensing issues this is the closest thing we are going to get to a Micronauts movie.

My one major critique is that all of the wonderfully exotic aliens and scenes where non-human sapient species outnumber just multicolored humanoids that have been missing from Star Wars since Disney took over are all here. It is refreshing to see...but it needs to be brought back to Star Wars (even if they just reuse previous Aliens...bring back all the Aliens).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to me how divergent opinions are on the various MCU movies. What one person loves another hates. I have a friend who insists the second GotG movie is by far the worst of them, but I find it far superior to Dark World.

I thought Wakanda Forever was a good movie (as did my girlfriend), and I generally enjoyed She-Hulk (though it got a bit gonzo towards the end) and I thought Hawkeye was great. While I agree with my friend that both Thor movies by Taika Waititi were jarring (deathly serious at times, while at others wildly comic), I thought both were good films.

I'm looking forward to Quantumania.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
It's interesting to me how divergent opinions are on the various MCU movies. What one person loves another hates. I have a friend who insists the second GotG movie is by far the worst of them, but I find it far superior to Dark World.

I really enjoyed both of the first two GoG movies - and I would even say I liked the second a little bit better. Thus far I do not like what I have seen in previews for the upcoming one (especially the new look for Groot), I'll give it a chance, but am not optimistic.

Quote:
I thought Wakanda Forever was a good movie (as did my girlfriend),

I didn't hate it, I thought it was meh. There were several things that were done I did not care for. I loved the performance of Angela Bassett - especially that speech where she stands up to Namor and refuses to be bullied (to me this demonstrates a much stronger female character than one who is just given incredible strength or power). I thought it was a shame how they resolved that scene. I thought Namor was a little over-the top a jerk, but he was always a Jerk in the comics, so...

I really liked and enjoyed Thor Ragnarok, but Love and Thunder had so much wrong it would take me pages to list it - and to me it isn't worth that sort of effort. Unlike many, none of my issues were the concept of a Female Thor (though, again, that she was made more of a plot device, never really allowed to shine, and removed from play by movies end are some of the issues on my lists of problems).

Quote:

I hope you enjoy it too. It's not without some issues, a few minor plot problems, but to me there was enough other items in the movie to engage me and get me to overlook them. It is the first MCU movie in a long time I would probably seek to own at regular price (might get Multiverse if it showed up in $5 bin...same for No Way Home - though I didn't hate it, I didn't love it either).
Most of the negative comments I have read about Quantumania are attacking it being a part of a larger story to be told across more movies. It having end credit scenes for "unrelated" MCU projects. The very existence and diversity of the Quantum Realm - which if you are at all familiar with the 80's era comics was previously known as the Microverse (unusable due to licensing problems). A few critics even attacked the fact the movie is set in this made up sub-atomic realm with the diversity of species and technology you would find in a Star wars movie (though not lately) and the director being unclear what movie he was making - which just tells me they are only familiar with Marvel from the movies and TV or they would have some knowledge this was in Marvels comics for a long time.

For series, I really enjoyed The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I enjoyed Loki to a point. I also Enjoyed What If. But I have not liked the rest. I tried. I wanted to. But I can't.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my updated brief reactions to Phase 4+

MOVIES
Black Widow – good
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – ok
Eternals – bad, near the bottom of MCU's barrel
Spider-Man: No Way Home – good
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – cool concepts wasted on a horror movie, near the bottom of MCU's barrel
Thor: Love and Thunder – ok
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – meh

DISNEY+
WandaVision – first three episodes are entirely skippable – the rest were silly, weird, boring, and meh, until the final episode which was good.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier – good
Loki Season 1 – neat concept but premise is fundamentally flawed, last episode is boring and anti-climactic
What If? Season 1 – first episode is good, the rest are meh
Hawkeye – ok
Moon Knight – very interesting concepts and but overall meh show
Ms. Marvel – meh
I Am Groot - meh
Werewolf by Night – meh
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law – got stupider as it went on, final episode was one of the worst things to ever come out with the MCU label.
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special – silly

PHASE 5
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania – ok

DougRed4 wrote:
It's interesting to me how divergent opinions are on the various MCU movies. What one person loves another hates.

Yes. The MCU is really no different than Star Wars, massive franchises with a giant, diverse fan followings.

KageRyu wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
...various MCU movies... I have a friend who insists the second GotG movie is by far the worst of them...

I really enjoyed both of the first two GoG movies - and I would even say I liked the second a little bit better.

DougRed4, please tell your friend that they are not alone. Until now I hadn't known about anyone else that likes the first GotG and not the second one. I don't know if I would say "by far the worst" but GotG 2 is definitely the worst MCU film IMO. I'm not a huge fan of the characters, but I still feel that the first one is well-made, ranked several films above 2. Why the difference? I'm not exactly sure. Obviously there are a lot of similarities to the two films, but maybe the differences are the clear line, what is unique about the first movie works for me while what is unique about the second one doesn't? (It is a mcguffin stone story with a final battle to save a planet vs the protagonist finding out his father is an evil god who killed his mom and defeating said father.) Maybe the GotG schtick just got old fast for me? GotG 2 just felt utterly pointless to me. I've seen it three times and I really have no desire to ever watch it again to explore my reaction to it any further.

KageRyu wrote:
...GoG movies... Thus far I do not like what I have seen in previews for the upcoming one (especially the new look for Groot), I'll give it a chance, but am not optimistic.

Oh yeah, even with a clear MCU decline in Phase Four, the MCU is still has a high enough like-to-dislike ratio for me to see GotG 3 someday. But I am not in the slightest bit excited for it and I won't bother seeing it in the theater.

DougRed4 wrote:
...but I find it far superior to Dark World.

I'm also an outlier as far as The Dark World goes. I know that in general this is one of the least popular films in the MCU. I felt it was a bit better than the first Thor movie. Not awesome, but a little step up.

KageRyu wrote:
I really liked and enjoyed Thor Ragnarok, but Love and Thunder had so much wrong it would take me pages to list it - and to me it isn't worth that sort of effort.

I'll just say I rank the Thor films like so:
    (1) Ragnarok
    (2) The Dark World
    (3) Thor
    (4) Love and Thunder
I haven't see Love and Thunder since the single theatrical viewing, and I find that I still do not feel any desire to watch it again at home. Maybe I will before I see GotG 3.

DougRed4 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Sounds like yet another movie in the last 2 years, i'll skip..

garhkal, if you liked the first two Ant-Man movies, then you should see this one too and decide for yourself.

KageRyu wrote:
Also, let's face it, because of licensing issues this is the closest thing we are going to get to a Micronauts movie.

As soon as Hank Pym described the Quantum Realm in the first Ant-Man, I knew that was the MCU term for the Microverse. My childhood DM RJ (who introduced me to D&D) also had comics. The ones I have the clearest memory of were Star Wars and the Micronauts. I'm pretty sure he had some Micronauts toys too.

KageRyu wrote:
There was a lot of eye candy, and a lot happening (maybe at times too much). There were a few effects I feel did not come off properly (especially a certain supporting villain).

There was a lot of darkened eye candy, yes. Regarding the supporting villain, he is one of the most ridiculous looking characters in comic books as it is, but it looked even more ridiculous in live action. (That said, the franchise explanation for how anyone could end up looking like that actually made a lot of sense for the MCU.) I think that character actually would have worked better if the character was played straight for laughs (and he was a lot funnier). But if you want a more serious Ant-Man movie, then there was just no place for that character, IMO.

KageRyu wrote:
I saw Quantumania and I enjoyed it. Was it the greatest Marvel movie? No. Was it terrible as so many on the internet are claiming? No.

Too many are trying to side by side compare it with other MCU movies (the two previous Antman Movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, etc...) don't do this. It is it's own movie, and I think you need to go into it with this in mind. The character of Scott Lang is very recognizable in attitudes and overall on screen presence. I felt that Hope was under used, as was Hank. The main villain was great. So you can see progression of characters from others MCU and previous Ant Man films and they still feel familiar, but the story is much different and much more serious overall - which seems to be what so many hate.

Wow. I do not spend any time interacting with a mass of Marvel fanboys, or even passively reading their criticisms. I already have to do that to an extent with another franchise. I think you might enjoy your Marvel fandom more if you step away from their hatred.

KageRyu wrote:
Most of the negative comments I have read about Quantumania are attacking it being a part of a larger story to be told across more movies.

Have they not seen MCU Phases 1-3? The Infinity Saga?? Do they not understand what franchise this is? Infinity War/Endgame was better off by having the Infinity Stones and Thanos appear in prior films leading up it. I like the shared continuity and I am baffled why MCU fans think all the films should be standalone films now.

KageRyu wrote:
It having end credit scenes for "unrelated" MCU projects.

Are they daft? The two stingers are extremely related to this movie. But yes, they are related to other projects too.

KageRyu wrote:
The very existence and diversity of the Quantum Realm - which if you are at all familiar with the 80's era comics was previously known as the Microverse (unusable due to licensing problems). A few critics even attacked the fact the movie is set in this made up sub-atomic realm with the diversity of species and technology you would find in a Star wars movie (though not lately) and the director being unclear what movie he was making - which just tells me they are only familiar with Marvel from the movies and TV or they would have some knowledge this was in Marvels comics for a long time.

Well, movies are a different medium and what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. CBMs are inspired by comics but not everything translates well. Just because something exists in comics, that doesn't necessarily mean it should be in CBMs or that it will be cool. In general.

But this particular criticism, I just don't get it, regardless of a fan's familiarity with comics. So the Quantum Realm was cool when you went to it and were floating around all alone, but suddenly its bad because there is life and a civilization there? That makes no sense to me. What if they are the descendants of alien civilizations who invented the shrink tech and used it for a war, sending enemies to the Quantum Realm? Maybe they didn't even understand that the enemies that got blasted survived somewhere else. Really, if you are going to object to something, object to the mere existence of shrinking tech, a preposterous impossible technology. That is quite more unrealistic than the existence of the Quantum Realm and the weird aliens there.

The MCU branched out into the genre of space adventure early on in the franchise, and later fantasy. Phase 4 has shown a further MCU genre expansion by crossing over into more genres: martial arts, spooky sitcom, suspense/psychological drama, horror, and 4th-wall-breaking "legal comedy." Quantumania was perfectly set-up by Iron Man, Thor, GotG, and the prior Ant-Man movies.

KageRyu wrote:
My one major critique is that all of the wonderfully exotic aliens and scenes where non-human sapient species outnumber just multicolored humanoids that have been missing from Star Wars since Disney took over are all here. It is refreshing to see...but it needs to be brought back to Star Wars (even if they just reuse previous Aliens...bring back all the Aliens).

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. This is really a critique of Disney's handling of Star Wars, not Quantumania, right? You mean Quantumania has more truly alien sapient species instead of a propensity for blue humans and the like, right?

The alien design was something I thought was overall pretty cool about Quantumania.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't engage deeply with fanboys if I can help it. Yes I do enjoy marvel deeply, and was a huge fan of many of their comics in the early 80's into the early 90's (Xmen was my biggest favorite and the movies were garbage in my opinion). I do have a nearly complete set of Both Micronauts series, and many of my toys have survived (some did not). The bigger problem is that I suffer insomnia, have trouble sleeping, get board easily, and because of certain aspects of my mindset (clinical depression) need to keep my mind occupied until I pass out from exhaustion or fall into a depressive spiral. Often times it is already too difficult to focus through and be creative in any way...so I spend too much time searching and reading online. Worse, one of my last friends I have met in real life sort of thrives on this fan-culture and is constantly trying to get me to read and discuss things with him. While I do not always agree with his perspective, or his need to immerse in the negativity, he has been a very good friend for a long time, and was one of my best friends back in high school (and player in many, many games I ran back then as well as GM of several).
Whill wrote:

Have they not seen MCU Phases 1-3? The Infinity Saga?? Do they not understand what franchise this is?

No, Whill, I don't think they really do. These were "Professional" Critic comments mostly that have given the movie such a poor rating on many sites. I think they either just don't like this type of movie to begin with, or just didn't really watch it as so much of their critique makes no sense to me.

Quote:
KageRyu wrote:
It having end credit scenes for "unrelated" MCU projects.

Are they daft? The two stingers are extremely related to this movie. But yes, they are related to other projects too.

Agreed, I didn't say more about said scenes as I am trying not to give spoilers for those who have not seen it but might.

Quote:
KageRyu wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. This is really a critique of Disney's handling of Star Wars, not Quantumania, right? You mean Quantumania has more truly alien sapient species instead of a propensity for blue humans and the like, right?

Yes, I was taking a snarky stab at how I feel Disney has managed the Star Wars IP. While there have been some scenes with cool aliens - I feel that overall the majority of the newer content has had far too few of the great aliens that make the Galaxy feel so large. Even reappearances of older aliens. This is also one of my biggest critiques of the 2 GoG movies, is way to many "aliens" are just painted humans... To me, one of the greatest scenes in the original trilogy is a scene Lucas himself has said in later interviews he hates because of how hokey and unfinished some of the costumes were - that being the Mos Eisley Cantina scene. This scene sold me instantly that we were not dealing with Earth, and that the Galaxy in Star Wars was a huge place inhabited by many space faring aliens. This was, for me, one of the iconic defining scenes of the original franchise - even though in the rest of the movie it is mostly humans, in ESB ,mostly humans (except the Bounty Hunter scene on the ISD and the ugnaughts and Yoda), but then Jedi opens again with Jaba's court and lots of great and diverse aliens. Many of the "new" aliens in the newer SW material I have found...lacking. There are some cool scenes (loved seeing the Mon Cals in Rogue One) but the presence of large gatherings of diverse aliens seems lacking. Even in other non-SW sci-fi (especially marvel) where are all the cool aliens (the comics were loaded with them, even on earth). The prison scene in GoG would have been 100 times better if they just had 2-3 more alien designs with more significant difference than humans. Maybe it's just me.

Quote:
The alien design was something I thought was overall pretty cool about Quantumania.

Agreed, there were some great looking alien designs. I really liked the Ray-Gun head guy (not sure what to call him) and the Living Building-Ships was a neat idea (didn't love it at first, but it was different and so gets points for that).

Quote:
I think you might enjoy your Marvel fandom more if you step away from their hatred.

Don't worry Whill, I have never let my enjoyment of anything be governed by the fandom or opinion of the rest of the world. Though you and I may not agree on the quality of some of these movies I wont take it personally. Sometimes I do want to try to understand why, for example, person X may like something Person Y hates... but I am too much in my own head at any given time. Even those franchises or cultural events I have loved, I have rarely fit in with or played well with the larger fans that follow them. My greatest loves in life are Star Wars, Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Macross, Gatchaman, and Robotech. There are many others I like and follow, but these are the ones whose original versions will always have a special place in my heart regardless of overall popularity and fandom. For example, to me, there will ever only be One Transformers Movie, and it was Transformers the Movie (circa 1986) - though almost every online article talks about how all kids hated and reviled it, I loved it and still do. I am getting way off track though...just ramble on...gonna find my way...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: