The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Original RANCOR PIT website archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Original RANCOR PIT website archive Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Original RANCOR PIT website archive Reply with quote

Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order...

So I recently somehow accidentally stumbled across something that made me realize my previous research of the original Rancor Pit website (pre-forum) on the Wayback Machine was extremely insufficient. After hours of research last night I finally found a single webpage that includes mostly all working links for everything that once was. And I was able to ascertain from a couple different sources that the original Rancor Pit website went live in 1999!

Below is an archive of a late-2005 site map for the original Rancor Rancor Pit website. There is a lot of great stuff. In 2006 things started coming down, so I would have to say that late 2005 was the pinnacle of the original Rancor Pit website.

All hail Grand Master Loc Taal! Enjoy your journey back in time!

The original RANCOR PIT Site Map (late 2005)

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original RANCOR PIT website resurfaces! Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order... Enjoy your journey back in time!

The original RANCOR PIT Site Map (late 2005)

I really thought this would have a little more fanfare. I wonder if you guys only selectively read my posts based on thread subject? I changed the thread subject in case to be more clear what this is.

Since I took over the Pit, I have been asked many times if the original Rancor Pit website would return. It's back! Actually, it never left, but I didn't know where it was. Here it is!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was idly looking through this and I noticed that some of the PDF links don't work? I was wondering about that. But if they're gone, then they're gone. Ah, well.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:fireworks:

I'm happy that you were able to find the original site. Are you planning on backing it up on the web server so that we can go back down nostalgia lane from time to time?
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to SWD6 and the community, so I don't feel the same appreciation nor the scope to this finding.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I forgot how broken the members of Bad Karma were. Laughing
Rexer's ship has 10D Capital scale shields.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
After hours of research last night I finally found a single webpage that includes mostly all working links
Sutehp wrote:
I was idly looking through this and I noticed that some of the PDF links don't work?

"Yes, but it's not perfect" is your response? Really? You're cup is half-empty, isn't it? I spent hours finding a page that had mostly all working links. If you can find working links for the ones that don't work, be my guest and please share. I've already spent hours of my time for everyone else's benefit. Some non-working links is better than zero working links, no? I'm not really feeling much appreciation from your response, but you're welcome anyway. Sorry something we thought was gone forever coming back is not perfect for you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

I'm happy that you were able to find the original site. Are you planning on backing it up on the web server so that we can go back down nostalgia lane from time to time?

I'm happy you're happy, RR. There's no need to back it up because it already is archived on the Wayback Machine. And since it is on the Wayback Machine and not my web host, I don't have access to the files to back it up anyway. It's public now. You can go down nostalgia lane any time you want.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I'm happy you're happy, RR. There's no need to back it up because it already is archived on the Wayback Machine. And since it is on the Wayback Machine and not my web host, I don't have access to the files to back it up anyway. It's public now. You can go down nostalgia lane any time you want.

I would suggest archiving it anyway. A while ago, I had difficulty accessing one of my go-to sites on the Archive. I tried to access the links, and all I got was "This site can not be accessed because robots," or something silly to that effect. It came back up several months later, but if I went down once...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad you found this, Whill. It was a very useful site for a newbie.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
And since it is on the Wayback Machine and not my web host, I don't have access to the files to back it up anyway. It's public now.

I would suggest archiving it anyway. A while ago, I had difficulty accessing one of my go-to sites on the Archive. I tried to access the links, and all I got was "This site can not be accessed because robots," or something silly to that effect. It came back up several months later, but if I went down once...

The Wayback Machine is not my website. I don't know how to archive it. I don't have access to the files. If anyone still has the files for the site, it would be Loc Taal because it was his personal Star Wars website. And he may not have all the files for this 2005 version because the site changed and had less and less content until it eventually went down from the web many months before I took over the Pit. None of those files were included in the deal for the RP Forums.

If this archive goes through periods where it is not available and comes back, it is still more than we had before which was almost nothing. Several people have asked me if I could bring this site back, and I said I'm sorry I can't. But I found a free public web archive of it. It's the best I could do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Very glad you found this, Whill. It was a very useful site for a newbie.

You're welcome, Falconer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you right-click on the individual pages, the drop down menu has the option "Save As," which will allow you to save the page to your hard drive so that it is accessible on line.

It might even be possible to use this technique to build an even more complete snapshot by tracking the dead links on the page version you just posted, then checking to see if those links work on other archived dates in the Wayback Machine. Yes, it would be a lot of work, but if you're feeling motivated (or bored)...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I'll test and see if I can do a download of the site. Sometimes if you right click and save the main link, it saves files of all the pages, but that might take a lot of work re-setting it up. I appreciate you taking the time to find it anyway. I'll punish my players with some of their group's characters if they misbehave too much!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Whill wrote:
After hours of research last night I finally found a single webpage that includes mostly all working links
Sutehp wrote:
I was idly looking through this and I noticed that some of the PDF links don't work?

"Yes, but it's not perfect" is your response? Really? You're cup is half-empty, isn't it? I spent hours finding a page that had mostly all working links. If you can find working links for the ones that don't work, be my guest and please share. I've already spent hours of my time for everyone else's benefit. Some non-working links is better than zero working links, no? I'm not really feeling much appreciation from your response, but you're welcome anyway. Sorry something we thought was gone for ever coming back is not perfect for you.

As you say, some working links are better than no working links. And as a relatively recent newcomer, meaning that I arrived at the Rancor Pit long after these links to the original website were gone, I didn't have the opportunity to see them until now. As for the older members of the Rancor Pit who remember and saw the old information when it was current, I'm sure that they appreciate all the hard work you did to find it again. And I'm sure newer members who arrived at the rancor Pit after this original website information was lost will indeed be able to find things of use to them in these links. Perhaps I can't appreciate it because it didn't hold my interest after idly looking through some of the links, but my opinion here doesn't really matter, nor should it matter. As long as there are others on the Rancor Pit who can appreciate the information here that you found after such effort, then your hard work has indeed paid off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: