The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfighter Squadrons as Single Units
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Starfighter Squadrons as Single Units Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the way the Combined Action bonus works and didn't explain it incorrectly in my example. Can you either address the flaws in my example, provide an example of your own of a combat round using your rules, or both? Your rules as presented are missing one or more critical details from what I see. Though I could be wrong, it appears unusable without more detail.

I really want to understand your intent but without a detailed example, I cannot make sense of it. I was hoping to have it figured out before my game tomorrow, which is why I have been pushing so hard on the topic, but I have a back-up squad rule to use and there will be more opportunities in future games.

EDIT: After additional rereads and thought, I believe I do understand your rules, I just don't agree with the primary bulk if the squad bonus coming from the scale. This is a very rare case where I don't agree with you, so I'm just going to leave it alone for a while and revisit it with a fresh perspective in several weeks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I have it formulated well enough in my head to be able to explain it in a way that will work at the gaming table. The main stumbling block at the moment is establishing exactly when and where the Unit Strength Modifier would or would not be applicable. Honestly, I don't think I can have this ready by tomorrow.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't expect that. There is no hurry, as I have a method to use for the time being and there will be PLENTY of other opportunities to use squads as single units in my future games due to the nature of the campaign I am running. Thanks for all the work you put in on these rules.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a continuation of our discussion, I have been using the following system for squads - so far with ground troops and starfighters:

Squadrons automatically benefit from your modified combined action bonus (+1D every time the number of coordinating units doubles), but the bonus is automatically applied to damage rolls only, not the 'to hit' roll.

A character may use the command skill to provide an additional +1D to the Combined Action bonus and the squad mat split their dice between the roll to hit and the damage roll freely.

When a squad is hit:
0-3 results in a -1D penalty to the squad for the rest of the current round and the following round.
4-8 results in no more actions for the squad for the remainder of the turn and a -1D penalty to all future actions. When the squad receives a second 4-8 damage result, the squad may not take any more actions during the turn and loses one member, but the ongoing -1D penalty is removed.
9 - 10 results in the squad losing one member.
11+ results in the squad losing one member. Then reduce the damage difference by -10 and apply it to this table again. Continue this process as many times as necessary.

That's the method I have been using , though I just wanted to get the idea out and have not written it up formally. I like this method because it does not require an Excel spreadsheet full of formulas like my previous version based on Star Warriors and it is easy for me to implement and remember.

Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
As a continuation of our discussion, I have been using the following system for squads - so far with ground troops and starfighters:

Some good stuff here. As much as I'd prefer a single unified rule, I can see why having similar-yet-separate rules would be appropriate.

Quote:
Squadrons automatically benefit from your modified combined action bonus (+1D every time the number of coordinating units doubles), but the bonus is automatically applied to damage rolls only, not the 'to hit' roll.

I think this would work for Squads, but starfighter units depend heavily on tactical maneuvering to overcome other starfighter units, so allowing them to apply the bonus to either Damage or Maneuvering (depending on what sort of combat they're involved in) is essential to a realistic rule to represent this. Basically, a squadron of X-Wings going up against a squadron of TIEs would break up into a loose formation that allows them to maneuver against the TIEs while simultaneously support each other (applying the Unit Strength Modifier to Piloting) for the purposes of resolving a squadron-on-squadron dogfight. Conversely, if they were going to perform a mass torpedo attack on a Star Destroyer, they'd form up into a tight formation that allows them to better coordinate their torpedo fire (apply Unit Strength Modifier to Damage), as well as stack their shields to better defend the closely-packed squadron from the Destroyer's massed guns (apply Unit Strength Modifier to Shields). This is essential because, in that close formation, the squadron is easier to target, and is actually attacked as a single unit by the Destroyer's turbolasers and ion cannon, with the Unit Strength Modifier essentially being added to the squadron's Scale when they're all bunched up together.

Quote:
A character may use the command skill to provide an additional +1D to the Combined Action bonus and the squad mat split their dice between the roll to hit and the damage roll freely.

I'd be more inclined toward a Tactics roll rather than Command. I've tried to express elsewhere the degree to which Command needs to have a long-term effect in building and training the unit to forge it into a weapon, to the point where any commands given by the OIC will happen almost automatically because the unit has drilled and drilled and drilled to the point where the reaction to a Command happens instinctively. Tactics, on the other hand, will be much more dependent on the situation the unit faces in the moment combat begins.

Quote:
When a squad is hit:
0-3 results in a -1D penalty to the squad for the rest of the current round and the following round.
4-8 results in no more actions for the squad for the remainder of the turn and a -1D penalty to all future actions. When the squad receives a second 4-8 damage result, the squad may not take any more actions during the turn and loses one member, but the ongoing -1D penalty is removed.
9 - 10 results in the squad losing one member.
11+ results in the squad losing one member. Then reduce the damage difference by -10 and apply it to this table again. Continue this process as many times as necessary.

If this is working well for you, the only thing that appears to be missing is a chart that shows how the Unit Strength Modifier drops off as casualties mount. However, since the +3D Unit Strength is predicated on a squad size of 9 (8 troopers plus a sergeant), it might be simplest to just reduce the Unit Strength by 1 pip per casualty. It doesn't quite fit with the X2=+1D Method, but it is easy to track and allows each individual casualty to have a tangible effect on the unit.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where you are going with Tactics versus Command. I was trying to figure out how a commander could further benefit a squad so I artificially reduced the effect of the squad's automatic combined action bonus. However, if it is assumed squads are already combat trained and drilled as a team, it should work with no restrictions. Then, the commander takes the Tactics checks to benefit the entire army/force.

As for the modification to the Combined Action bonus, it changes as the squad size changes. No extra rule needed. When the squad drops from 8 to 7 members, the bonus drops from +3D to +2D.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the math there is that, if you’re adhering to the x2=+1D method, an 8-man squad would have to lose 4 men (1/2=-1D) to drop from +3D to +2D. Going with -1 per casualty allows for a more proportional loss of strength per individual casualty.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem with the math there is that, if you’re adhering to the x2=+1D method, an 8-man squad would have to lose 4 men (1/2=-1D) to drop from +3D to +2D. Going with -1 per casualty allows for a more proportional loss of strength per individual casualty.

I am not sure why this would be a problem - the combined action bonus scale down the same way it scales up. So a 4 member squad gets a +2D bonus, as does a 7 member squad. The advantage the 7 member squad has over the 4 member squad is it can take more casualties before being wiped out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, per the detailed version of the X2=+1D method, dropping from 8 to 7 would result in a drop from +3D to +2D+2.

Going by the same rules, a full-strength Starfighter squadron should have a Strength modifier of +3D+1. I went with +3D because I was envisioning it as a combination of both strength in numbers and psychological cohesion (hence the +1D bonus for being experienced fighter pilots.). I would be open to adjusting the Starfighter Squadron table as needed.

But from a math standpoint, losing one man out of eight really doesn't add up to a halving of the total effectiveness of the unit. Doing it by the pip represents the loss much better.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I think you have that wrong. Based on the combined action bonus, a squad of 8 would drop from +3D to +2D after losing just one member. I am not sure why this would be a problem - the combined action bonus scale down the same way it scales up. So a 4 member squad gets a +2D bonus, as does a 7 member squad. The advantage the 7 member squad has over the 4 member squad is it can take more casualties before being wiped out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who codified the x2=+1D system being used here, so no, I'm reasonably certain I'm right. Look at the detailed version of the system to see what I'm talking about.

Consider also that there is noticeable difference in firepower if you have seven troopers shooting blaster rifles instead of just four, but immediately dropping from 3D to 2D doesn't adequately represent that in the same way that a pip method would.

Also bear in mind that, up to about +3D, the x2=+1D system roughly parallels the 2R&E RAW for combined actions, where you get +1 pip for every additional person combining (8 troopers combining with their sergeant would result in a bonus of +8, which converts to +2D+2), and that tracking by -1 pip per casualty is easier to convert on the fly when in the middle of tabletop combat.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I see that I misread your response as I reread it. Additionally, I was assuming the full dice bonuses, not the exoanded or gradient of version with the pips, so as I was seeing it using the 'standard' 2× method, you would drop from +3D to +2D when losing 1 member of an 8 member squad. Yes, using the expanded version, it drops to a bonus of 2D+2 when you go to 7 members.

Which version do you consider the standard of the 2x combined action bonus: full dice or gradations?

You do bring up a good question as to which version of the combined actions bonus to use: the modified 2nd edition rules (2x) or the 2nd Edition R&R giving a pip per person?

I personally don't use the R&R because of the Command cap rule which prevents it from breaking but is too restrictive for my tastes. You could really use either, but I prefer consistently applying the 2x method. That is just me though.

However, it is very easy to customize the combined action based on personal preference.

The other benefit is I don't have to impose a limit size to squads. Players will typically optimize the effectiveness of their squads by size.

Aside from the the coordination bonus specifics, how do you think the squad rules play out? Can you see any fatal flaws? I like the damage carrying over at incapacitated, but using 10 as the cut off makes the math easy when using during the game.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but I didn't see your conversions for the TIE/rc or fc. Do you have them and I just missed them? I am using them in my games and am curious about their lasers as well as an special rules.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Off topic, but I didn't see your conversions for the TIE/rc or fc. Do you have them and I just missed them? I am using them in my games and am curious about their lasers as well as an special rules.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=176707#176707

I think he replaced them with this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I saw those, but was scanning for rc and fc, so missed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: