The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

*** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if we're not bootlegging, i guess i need to dump out all that moonshine i was gonna sell... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if we're not bootlegging, i guess i need to dump out all that moonshine i was gonna sell... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

"About then, them ol' Solo boys knew they were in a whole heap of trouble."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

Please see this thread's OP for the full, up-to-date forum guidelines.

Site Admin wrote:
Respect Moderator wisdom and judgement. Moderators have free rein to issue warnings, lock threads, and more as they deem necessary. Our active Moderators are cheshire and jmanski. Please heed their posts as if they were mine. (It is a best practice before submitting a reply to any thread to use the Preview feature and scroll down to see if there have been any new replies in a thread since you last checked. You may find a new moderator/admin post that wasn't there when you started typing your reply.) And every time you log in, please check your PM indicator at the top of the page. If it says you have a message, please see who it is from. If it is from anyone other than an admin or moderator, you are free to ignore it. If it is from an admin or moderator, please do NOT ignore it. Please read it and reply accordingly when warranted. If you find that a post of yours is missing from the forum, please do not repost it. We will PM you to advise the reason why.

The blue text was added to this guideline. It is very rare for user posts to be edited by staff or changed to non-public. We will not delete posts without a good reason. Please do not assume the post's disappearance was a glitch and repost it. Feel free to backspace and get the text if you need to and save it. Please feel free to PM me about it. Sometimes it is prudent for staff to remove a post immediately and then type a PM to you to about it. Please be patient and wait for the explanation. Thank you.

Site Admin wrote:
Bootleg policy. It is commonly known that there are multiple websites where bootleg digital copies of WEG Star Wars RPG books and other copyrighted works are available for free download. The Rancor Pit Forums is not one of those sites. Please do not post direct links to those downloads or even links to sites where they are located. The Rancor Pit does not endorse or condone illegal pirating. Please note this bootleg restriction does not apply to fan-made supplements which are freely discussed in the Tools forum, and shared here. Also, please also do not share links to or discuss how to acquire copies of films not sold through official channels, including fan edits of films. Sharing links to video clips is ok. Please do not state, imply, or share links to opinions indicating it is ok to steal Lucasfilm IP or any other Disney IP.

There was no change here, but this is just a friendly reminder. We do not talk about fight club, and we do not share links to fight clubs even if those clubs are not secret and they fight out in the daylight for everyone to see. We do not concern ourselves with various fight clubs having different rules for fight club.

Virtually every sentence of the forum guidelines is there because it has become an issue in the past. The guidelines are all here for a reason, even if that reason is not readily apparent to you. There is no malicious intent here. Please trust that the purpose of the guidelines are to maintain the Rancor Pit's modus operandi and ensure the best possible experience for everyone.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Site Admin wrote:
Bootleg policy. It is commonly known that there are multiple websites where bootleg digital copies of WEG Star Wars RPG books and other copyrighted works are available for free download. The Rancor Pit Forums is not one of those sites. Please do not post direct links to those downloads or even links to sites where they are located. The Rancor Pit does not endorse or condone illegal pirating. Please note this bootleg restriction does not apply to fan-made supplements which are freely discussed in the Tools forum, and shared here. Also, please also do not share links to or discuss how to acquire copies of films not sold through official channels, including fan edits of films. Sharing links to video clips is ok. Please do not state, imply, or share links to opinions indicating it is ok to steal Lucasfilm IP or any other Disney IP.

There was no change here, but this is just a friendly reminder. We do not talk about fight club, and we do not share links to fight clubs even if those clubs are not secret and they fight out in the daylight for everyone to see. We do not concern ourselves with various fight clubs having different rules for fight club.

What about moonshine?? That's bootleged!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite prohibition being repealed, it is still illegal to distill alcohol, even for personal use at home, without a permit to do so. I went to college in the heart of Appalachia and lived there for several years. It's very easy to get moonshine in West Virginia. I tried moonshine once, with other stuff that day/night. I survived. I do not recommend it. Pour it out. And we should avoid discussing illicit activities here. I don't talk about my smuggling days, do I? Cool

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

"About then, them ol' Solo boys knew they were in a whole heap of trouble."

Straight'nin' the curves, flat'nin' the hills, someday the Maw might get 'em but the law never will. My brother and I loved that show when we were kids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: new Spoiler Policy Reply with quote

Quote:
(13) Spoiler policy. All spoiler discussions and media of current and forthcoming Star Wars content of any source will be protected by the following spoiler protection practices: (a) Do not post spoilers in thread titles. (b) For each film or Disney+ series, there will be a single "Spoilers Allowed" thread stickied to the top of the General Star Wars forum when it premieres. These are the only threads where open spoiler discussions of these things are allowed without restriction. (And please do not 'cross-spoil' by posting spoilers for one show or film in the Spoilers Allowed thread of another show or film.) (c) For story releases less than three weeks old of media other than films and Disney+ series, such as new novels and comic books series, please feel free to create a 'spoilers allowed' thread if there hasn't already been one created for that item. (d) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please use White Font Colour tags for any spoiler text. Please be tactical about the use of spoiler tagging. If the mere presence of spoiler tagging would hint to a revelation in the film or episode, please instead post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread. (e) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please do not post images with spoilers, including in the Star Wars Memes thread. As an option you can always post a URL to spoiler images. (f) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please clearly identify links to web pages with spoiler content. If the URL text itself is a spoiler, please only post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread. (g) Three weeks after a new media's release date, spoiler restrictions no longer have to be followed for the release. So for a Disney+ series, when an episode becomes three weeks old, you still have to follow the restrictions for any more recent episodes, until they each 'age out of the spoiler zone' on their own schedules. Please see the Spoiler Policy thread for more information.

I updated guideline 13 to reflect the new, comprehensive spoiler policy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Default game rules. Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(8) Official game rules. Everywhere on this site (except for the First Edition/IAG forum), the second edition of the game is the default official RAW being discussed unless otherwise specified or obvious from context. Furthermore, the R&E update is the default version of second edition being discussed unless otherwise specified or obvious from context. When citing RAW on these forums, most of the time you will be citing the R&E book. If you have a question about official rules, post it in the Official Rules forum. When referring to RAW please use the official game terminology, even if your house rules change the terms. Many of us here are tinkerer GMs, so when debating the merit of tweaks and new house rules, please keep in mind that the official rules are not inherently superior just by virtue of being officially published. This equally applies to officially published stats vs. fan stats.

I added the links and blue text to the guideline, plus renamed the guideline accordingly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Bootleg policy / Fan document standards Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(14) Bootleg policy. It is commonly known that there are multiple websites where bootleg digital copies of WEG Star Wars RPG books and other copyrighted works are available for free download. The Rancor Pit Forums is not one of those sites. Please do not post direct links to those downloads or even links to sites where they are located. The Rancor Pit does not endorse or condone illegal pirating. Please note this bootleg restriction does not apply to fan-made supplements which are freely discussed in the Tools forum, and shared here. Fan-made supplement fluff text should not be plagiarisms, and please do not create and share free fan documents with the appearance of official, licensed, and/or for-sale products (see here for more details). Also, please also do not share links to or discuss how to acquire copies of films not sold through official channels, including fan edits of films. Sharing links to video clips is ok. Please do not state, imply, or share links to opinions indicating it is ok to steal Lucasfilm IP or any other Disney IP.

I added the blue text with further guidance and link to more detailed guidelines. And we're not even talking about college, or even high school, standards of plagiarism. Just don't copy and paste official publications, or other websites, including Wookieepedia. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There weren't any changes, but please revisit the forum guidelines. With the restoration of the Registration submit button, I was able to update it this time and I added a link to this thread. CRMcNeill had suggested I put the forum guidelines link into the registration emails and I did, but now it is in the form that new registrants have to complete up front to register. Requesting registration is agreeing to the registration terms and forum guidelines. Everyone old and new should be on the same page.

I am not an overbearing egomaniac who enjoys pointing out rules. I prefer the rules speak for themselves and everyone self-moderate. Almost every single clause of the guidelines is reactive to something that happened here at some point over the years since 2008. The guidelines have expanded since they were first codified because new things keep happening that I did not anticipate. The intention is not punitive – The goal is proactive to prevent future reoccurrence.

I also wanted to share a perspective that I gained greater awareness of recently. When I have to point out an existing guideline, or that I created a new guideline to address a situation, I almost always get no acknowledgement of it. I tend to take that as apathy or resentment toward moderation. (Which is disappointing but ultimately fine if you want to grumble to yourself, not like it, be unhappy about it, but follow it anyway.) So if you later joke about being moderated publicly on the forum, it is hard for me to not see that as publicly mocking the guidelines. People may feel I am wrong for assuming, but I am the only one clearly communicating. It is mostly one way. If you don't even acknowledge my communication, then how will I know you are not coming from a place of apathy or resentment? How will I know you are at a place where you can make fun of yourself in front of the rest of us? I will try not to assume the intention behind something if it seems questionable, but it would be a lot easier of everyone would just communicate back with me. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Official game rules / Do your research Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(8) Official game rules. Everywhere on this site (except for the First Edition/IAG forum), the second edition of the game is the default official RAW being discussed unless otherwise specified or obvious from context. Furthermore, the R&E update is the default version of second edition being discussed unless otherwise specified or obvious from context. When citing RAW on these forums, most of the time you will be citing the R&E book. If you have a question about official rules, post it in the Official Rules forum. When referring to RAW please use the official game terminology, even if your house rules change the terms. Do not attempt to pass off your house rules as RAW. Many of us here are tinkerer GMs, so when debating the merit of tweaks and new house rules, please keep in mind that the official rules are not inherently superior just by virtue of being officially published. This equally applies to officially published stats vs. fan stats.
(10) Research. Wookieepedia is your friend. Before asking (or arguing) about the existence of something in canon or legends, please consult Wookieepedia or another source. This is not to say that Wookieepedia is always 100% accurate, but discounting it as a valuable resource for that reason is throwing out the baby Luke with the bacta bath water. (If Wookieepedia is incorrect about something, show us why.) It is a best practice to do some research on a subject before posting or replying about that subject, and this research can includes searching for and reviewing prior Rancor Pit threads that discuss the topic. Do not attempt to pass off your personal canon as official canon. If you wish to discuss or propose modifications to official rules, please review, try to understand, and reference the official rules you are modifying first. Also, please try to avoid sharing links to sensational clickbait and unreliable journalism. Please research validity and look for confirmation of news and such from reputable sources before posting. Please try to share links to pages as official and close to the original source of the news as possible.

I added the blue text to these guidelines.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Respect Moderator wisdom and judgement Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(1) Respect Moderator wisdom and judgement. Moderators have free rein to issue warnings, lock threads, and more as they deem necessary. Our active Moderators are cheshire and jmanski. Please heed their posts as if they were mine. (It is a best practice before submitting a reply to any thread to use the Preview feature and scroll down to see if there have been any new replies in a thread since you last checked. You may find a new moderator/admin post that wasn't there when you started typing your reply.) And every time you log in, please check your PM indicator at the top of the page. If it says you have a message, please see who it is from. If it is from anyone other than an admin or moderator, you are free to ignore it. If it is from an admin or moderator, please do NOT ignore it. Please read it and reply accordingly when warranted. If you find that a post of yours is missing from the forum, please do not repost it. We will PM you to advise the reason why.

Not an update, just a reminder. Please be advised that not reading PMs from staff does not excuse you from heeding anything they communicate.

Also, it is a good idea to make sure Rancor Pit emails do not go to a junk folder, and that your browser is set to allow pop-ups for this site. The Rancor Pit only sends emails out to notify members of PMs, and there aren't any pop-up ads here so you should allow pop-ups to allow maximum functionality.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

According to Google, the Rancor Pit is the world's leading independent forum solely devoted to the WEG Star Wars RPG.

Site Admin wrote:
(1) Respect Moderator wisdom and judgment. While these guidelines are comprehensive, they can't possibly address every possible situation that may come up on the forum. Admins and Moderators have the authority to make judgments and enact moderations such as issuing warnings, locking threads, and more as they deem necessary. Our active Moderators are cheshire and jmanski. Please heed their posts as if they were mine. (It is a best practice before submitting a reply to any thread to use the Preview feature and scroll down to see if there have been any new replies in a thread since you last checked. You may find a new moderator/admin post that wasn't there when you started typing your reply.) And every time you log in, please check your PM indicator at the top of the page. If it says you have a message, please see who it is from. If it is from anyone other than an admin or moderator, you are free to ignore it. If it is from an admin or moderator, please do NOT ignore it. Please read it and reply accordingly when warranted. If you find that a post of yours is missing from the forum, please do not repost it. We will PM you to advise the reason why.
EDIT: Clarified wording in (1) to better empower admins and mods with authority above and beyond enforcing these guidelines.

The blue text above is a bit of an expansion of the original text...

In October, Whill wrote:
...I am not an overbearing egomaniac who enjoys pointing out rules. I prefer the rules speak for themselves and everyone self-moderate. Almost every single clause of the guidelines is reactive to something that happened here at some point over the years since 2008. The guidelines have expanded since they were first codified because new things keep happening that I did not anticipate. The intention is not punitive – The goal is proactive to prevent future reoccurrence...

I've come to realize that the first two sentences in the October text block were stating the obvious. Everyone knows that because I have always worn my heart on my sleeve. The mere fact that there is such a comprehensive, developed set of guidelines here broadcasts to the world that the Rancor Pit is not a cult of personality ran with an iron fist. The lengthly forum guidelines post, with over 60 occurrences of the word "please" and my request that everyone self-moderate, are seen by some as a lack of will to exert authority and enforce rules here, and they have been correct.

There have been and are a lot of great people here, but the internet as a whole is full of trolls and dill-holes so unfortunately there are some everywhere. I've become painfully aware of the fact that the lengthly forum guidelines are seen by some as a sign of weakness to be exploited for their sick jollies. Every so often people have joined this site to antagonize me. Some do it publicly, and others by PM. They do it because I am too nice. I never realize it at first because I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

So what are the alternatives? One is, I could be step back from being a participant, content creator, and die hard Star Wars fan, and instead just be a wise benefactor that only gets involved when there are problems. The less I'd say, the more people would listen when I did. The problem with that is, I never signed up for that. I have been one of several active participant/leaders in this community since before there even were moderators. The Rancor Pit was literally on the verge of ceasing to exist, and I stepped in and became its sole salvation. I deserve respect for that, and my ongoing service as steward of this community. But first and foremost, I am a huge Star Wars D6 nerd. I am a webmaster out of necessity. Some of us know who the better candidate for the job would have been, but he's not able to devote the time needed to do it, so I am who you get.

Another alternative would be to just not have rules or authority, and let the forum slide into complete anarchy. We've had nearly that at times, a place where I didn't feel I could admit that I even liked the prequels. Nowadays internet users are more polarized than ever. This would be a place where people would bash films, whine about agendas in Star Wars, and be triggered to acrimonious arguments, like most all other corners of Star Wars internet fandom. Screw that. I'd rather let the Pit die than see it turn into that.

Another alternative would be for me to just chuck the rules and become a dictator here. The only rules are my whims. Create a cult of a few loyal followers and slay enemies in epic word battles. Oh, the horror. I'd rather die than turn to the Dark Side.

So we are left with what we have, as revised in the first guideline. I find it tiresome for people to keep finding new ways to warrant additions to the guidelines. I may still further revise the guidelines when I feel it is important to do so, but Moderators and I have the authority to moderate as we deem necessary, whether there is a guideline specifically addressing the issue or not. Our guidance is expected to be heeded. Do not ignore us. You don't have to agree with me, but I will no longer tolerate disrespect.

And if you really have a problem with something I write on the forum, I think you will find that I respond quite favorably to rational intercourse. Don't argue about the perceived offense on the forum. Calmly PM me and politely ask for an edit. If so, I'm sure we can work it out to your satisfaction.
Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is both perfectly fine to have the extensive forum guidelines, and be an evil dictator to those who exploit loopholes.

Twisted Evil
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing a great job, Whill. And it sucks that so much of your time has to be devoted to dealing with this garbage.

I'll be watching your always changing avatar as a clue to monitor whether you've completely slipped over to the Dark side. Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Commerce policy. Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(15) Commerce policy. No commercially oriented posts are permitted on these forums, except those regarding legal sales of officially licensed Star Wars products and WEG Star Wars related services. No one may begin selling without sending a PM to Whill asking for approval and receiving approval first. To qualify for asking permission, you must not have the rank of Cadet. Approval to sell may be denied or revoked at any time for any reason, including not being active in non-commercial discussions lately, and violations of this and other forum guidelines. When approved, you may post links to items for sale elsewhere or post about items you have that you would like to sell or barter in the Commerce and Collections forum. Anyone may post 'looking for X' or want lists there. Any price negotiations between forum users should move to PM, but monetary transactions should move offsite. Whenever an item is sold, the seller must update the post with "[SOLD]". Even if not sold, sale threads may be locked if a seller becomes inactive on this website. If you would like to share links to items for sale frequently you should post replies to a single thread instead of creating a new thread for each one. Spammers will be banned. Those accused of fraudulent sales activity may be banned. The Rancor Pit and its staff are not liable for any commercial transactions.

The Pit's new commerce policy is now enacted and the commerce forum has been created. The rank rule is there to mitigate new registrations just for the purpose of selling. The concept is for selling Star Wars stuff here is a possible side venture for active forum users participating in non-commercial discussions of the game itself, the primary reason we are here. You are limited to selling Star Wars stuff but it does not have to be RPG stuff. No bootlegs.

Let me know if you have any questions about the policy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: