The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The CRMcNeill Stat Index Update & Feedback Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The CRMcNeill Stat Index Update & Feedback Page Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Fondor is the site of a major shipyard around this time, so it could also potentially be the brand name, with "Haulcraft" as the class. And no, nobody has asked for stats for it yet, and since I haven't watched Andor, I don't really feel sufficiently informed to take a stab at it. However, I just got free Disney+ membership with my cellphone service, and intend to catch up on what I've missed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which cell phone service? T-Mobile, perhaps? Please let that be the case.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Which cell phone service? T-Mobile, perhaps? Please let that be the case.

No; Verizon. Sorry to disappoint.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRM, you're gonna love Andor. It's definitely one of the better Disney Star Wars outings. Cool
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRM, has anyone requested stats for Luthen Rael's Fondor Haulcraft? Considering its extra accoutrements and modifications, I'd love to see those statted out.

Of course, there seems to be some confusion as to whether the type of craft is a Fondor Haulcraft or whether it's a Haulcraft that's simply named "the Fondor." Seeing as how the ship is referred to as "the Fondor" several times as if that was the ship's name leads me to suspect the latter, despite what Wookieepedia might say. Not to mention that Fondor is the name of a planet, not a starship construction company. Even the ships made by Corellian Engineering Corporation were never referred to as "Corellia freighters."

Except of course Corellian Corvettes (aka Blockade Runners), and Corellian Gunships, and in some sources the YT-1300 Corellian Light Freighter, and this was in many sources that long predated the internet, let alone Wookiepedia.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's my point, Kage, they're referred to as "Corellian" corvettes, gunships, etc., not "Corellia" corvettes, gunships, etc. By the same token, if "Fondor" was in the adjective form for the Haulcraft, it would be a "Fondorian Haulcraft" instead.

My question is this: Has the Haulcraft ever been referred to as a "Fondor Haulcraft" instead of just "the Fondor" or a "Haulcraft"? I don't recall any in-universe reference in any Andor episode calling it a "Fondor Haulcraft." This leads me to think that Luthen's Haulcraft is simply named "the Fondor."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fondor Haulcraft" is supposedly a class of ship, so it sounds like they were going for a car make/model type of thing. My family has two cars but we tend call the newer one "the Mazda." So like CRM said, Fondor could refer to the Fondor shipyards, but maybe it is part of the class name too, for better brand recognition.

However, Disney Canon has muddied the waters here by definitively establishing that "Razor Crest" was both the name of Mando's first ship but also part of the class name. ("I wanted a Razor Crest.") Someday all ships may only be named after their class. ("I can't believe they still make YT-class Millennium Falcons.") [shutter]
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
But that's my point, Kage, they're referred to as "Corellian" corvettes, gunships, etc., not "Corellia" corvettes, gunships, etc. By the same token, if "Fondor" was in the adjective form for the Haulcraft, it would be a "Fondorian Haulcraft" instead.

Counterpoint: All those ships are products of the Corelllian Engineering Corporation, so it could just be a truncation of the CEC's full name for brevity's sake. So, if "Fondor" is part of a larger corporate title, like "Fondor Stardrives" or the like, shortening it to "Fondor" in casual conversation wouldn't be amiss.

Quote:
My question is this: Has the Haulcraft ever been referred to as a "Fondor Haulcraft" instead of just "the Fondor" or a "Haulcraft"? I don't recall any in-universe reference in any Andor episode calling it a "Fondor Haulcraft." This leads me to think that Luthen's Haulcraft is simply named "the Fondor."

I haven't seen enough of Andor to have an informed opinion on the man's character, but what little I have seen makes me think that, if the ship even has a name, he probably hasn't told it to anyone, and instead uses a variety of false ID codes and such. A story from my own experience: in my family, we have a bit of a tradition of naming our cars. However, the Honda I used to own before I got my current vehicle was simply "the Honda", because I never felt attached enough to it to give it a name. It could simply be that "the Fondor" is an expression of Luthen's lack of attachment to the ship itself, seeing it as merely a tool in the scheme of his overall goals.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Not true. Just as in our world here, the adjective form for different world's and manufacturers is likely going to vary in how it is constructed and how that appears is going to be up to the writers constructing it. Corellian has been how they defined ships and beings from Corellia from the get go. others end in -ite or -ish or none at all. Haven't seen much reference to things from Fondor for comparison myself.

My point, which was responding to the point I thought you were making about things from other planets in Star Wars not having the world of origin as part of the name, was that it has been done.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
"Fondor Haulcraft" is supposedly a class of ship, so it sounds like they were going for a car make/model type of thing. My family has two cars but we tend call the newer one "the Mazda." So like CRM said, Fondor could refer to the Fondor shipyards, but maybe it is part of the class name too, for better brand recognition.

However, Disney Canon has muddied the waters here by definitively establishing that "Razor Crest" was both the name of Mando's first ship but also part of the class name. ("I wanted a Razor Crest.") Someday all ships may only be named after their class. ("I can't believe they still make YT-class Millennium Falcons.") [shudder]

May we never live to see such a day, Whill. Shocked

CRM, I want to confirm that you haven't done new stats for space stations because you find them uninteresting? There are a number of space stations that I'd love to see with your stats, but you haven't done them (besides the Golans) because they didn't inspire you, is that correct?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested - Fondor is the brand - for the Fondor Shipyards.
Haulcraft is the model.

Like saying "ford mustang".

There are multiple scenes where is it referred to as a fondor haulcraft - not just the one near the end, or in the conversation about its where abouts "the fondor...".

When one of the characters first gets on the ship he is asking about it "What is powering this?, I have been in a fondor haulcraft....I"ve flown one..." (andor ep4). He is calling out the type of ship it is - talking about how it is different...

Regarding the "Corellian" reference - corellian is not a direct reference to the planet Corellia - but because of CEC - "Corellian Engineering Corporation". Saying "Corellian" is short for CEC. Kind like how mercedes is short for Mercedes-Benz.

However, if in someone's head canon - they want to say the name is Fondor - the star wars police are not going to come and take your dice (although, after last game session - they can have some of mine!).

Anyway - cool ship - love it. Love andor.

But that, as they say - is another story.... Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is a reference to it being called a "Fondor Haulcraft" in Ep. 4? Damn, I knew I should have rewatched that episode before popping off. Looks like I was talking out of my @$$...again. Embarassed

Still, this gives me a good excuse to rewatch that episode on my day off today! Cool

I'm wondering if CRM can give us homemade stats on the Fondor's countermeasures. I thought the lightsaber-esque side lasers were a bit silly (they have to taper off at some point offscreen, right?), but the automated turret cannon was cool and those flechette launchers were awesome. Seeing those Imperials on the Arrestor cruiser get utterly humiliated was hilarious. I'm gonna watch that again today too!

There's speculation out there that Luthen is a "secret Jedi," but I like the idea of him being a Badass Normal far better.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRM just got Disney+. Give him a chance to catch up. I'm sure he would prefer to watch the entire season before taking a stab at stats for the ship and its tractor countermeasure system.

The Wookieepedia article I linked above is sourced. Luthen Rael's Fondor Haulcraft appears in six episodes of the series, and it is mentioned in two others.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m also moving out of my apartment and changing jobs, so I have very little time to spare for much of anything. Especially not well-thought-out stat posts.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I’m also moving out of my apartment and changing jobs, so I have very little time to spare for much of anything. Especially not well-thought-out stat posts.

Come on, CR. Get your priorities in line here. You need to get watching on Andor so you can get these stats done. THEN you can do the less important things in life, like moving and work stuff.

Just kidding, of course. Laughing I really do need to watch Andor myself; I hear it's really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: