The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cargo Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cargo Damage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Cargo Damage Reply with quote

If your group's ship is hauling cargo, and it takes damage, there should be a possibility that some of the ship's cargo is also damaged. Do you have any house rules for this, or any thoughts as to how something like this might be handled?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed something to address this in my greatly expanded house rules for ship combat in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Second Edition, so I may be able to draw some inspiration from that.

Or

Apply damage to cargo similar to damage applied to crew based on ship damage per the RAW. Give the cargo a Strength value to resist damage and allow the packaging to act as armor increasing the roll to resist. The damage level of the cargo could give the same results as a character - wounded once or twice, incapacitated, mortally wounded, or dead. Each level reduces the value of the cargo by -20% or damages it accordingly.

Actually, forget the first part. I personally will use the latter.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could also see an option on a Damage Table for the Cargo Bay taking a hit...

Or for hazardous cargos like fuel to increase the level of damage the ship takes, or vice versa, where more stable cargos actually reduce the damage somewhat by dint of absorbing or dissipating the energy of the attack.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Damage Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If your group's ship is hauling cargo, and it takes damage, there should be a possibility that some of the ship's cargo is also damaged. Do you have any house rules for this, or any thoughts as to how something like this might be handled?

Yes, I do. I included it as a suggested possibility in a "GM Selection" result of my damage chart. I can also see ways for cargo damage to happen as side effects of other damage results on my chart. Inertial compensation going offline could definitely damage cargo, depending on what the ship is doing. An onboard fire could occur in the cargo bay, especially if the cargo is flammable. Life support failing could damage or kill live cargo. A hull breach in the cargo bay could damage cargo or possibly blow it out into space. If the main power generator is shut down, cargo storage conditions not be maintained (such as temperature sensitivity), which could ruin some cargos. If ionized and controls are frozen or power is lost causing the ship to plummet toward the ground, cargo may be damaged. If crash landing, cargo could definitely be damaged.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting ideas there. I can't help but feel that, for ships like Light Freighters, where so much of the ship is taken up by usable cargo space, the odds of taking damage to the cargo bay (and the cargo, by extension) should be more likely.

It also opens up possibilities for ship mods where equipment is installed to protect / secure cargo such that it's less susceptible to damage. A ship might start with just a basic open cargo bay with tie-down points, with the option of upgrading to cargo racks (costs credits and some cargo capacity, but makes the cargo itself less susceptible to damage).

Incidentally, since we're discussing cargo, here's an archive link to the WotC Hero's Guide Web Enhancement #2, which includes some more detail for possible cargos a Tramp Freighter campaign might encounter.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I answered I have a rule for cargo being damaged directly, but I also consider that other damages or circumstances could also damage cargo.

Any of my players running characters hauling cargo in this game are going to run into combat, so they'll learn they need to tie the cargo down in some way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: