The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do, I wouldn't think to ask you to go back and rework a bunch of tedius other items. I was just expressing the potential for the way the Rate of Fire for weapons with Auto-fire is currently written as a bit confusing. For example:

Rate of Fire: 2D / 3D Auto-fire.

Coming from the base RAW assumptions, this tells me the weapon can Fire a maximum of 2D times, rolled randomly each turn, plus there may be an extra 1D if some special Auto-fire rule is used.

I am just asking you to think about it - don't make any changes. I know this is just the perspective from one person. Maybe others are not struggling with it as much as me.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reviewing your weapons again today and noticed there was ""**" next to weapons with Auto-fire for Rate of Fire with a note directing to the Auto-fire rules. I think this is a good solution without completely reworking the write-up. Thanks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I may change it in the future should I feel so inclined, but that requires energy (in every sense of the word) that I just don't have at the moment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding! I hope you are felling 100% soon!

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I got this....

If I have this weapon:

Light Repeating Blaster
Skill: Blaster: Light Repeating Blaster
Ammo: 30 (1 Shot = 20-round Burst)
Cost: 2,000 (Power Pod: 100)
Availability: 2; X
One-Handed: No (-1D+2)*
Range: 3-50/120/300
Rate of Fire: 2D / 3D Auto-Fire (3D uses 5 Shots)**
Damage: 5D
Game Notes: -1D+1 to Blaster @ Point Blank Range

It can either be fired at a 2D mode, or a 3D mode.

in each mode the 2D or 3D can be added to hit or damage, based upon range.

If the character tries to do any other actions in the round, the suffer a map penalty based upon the fire mode.

Example: Sid the mercenary shoots his light repeating blaster at a trooper.
He uses mode 2d, and is at short range.

Sid decides to add 1D to hit, and 1D to damage.
There is no penalty to hit with this attack, if this is the only action he takes this round.

If sid decides to take another actions (or a reaction this round) it is at -2D.

Did I get that right?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
in each mode the 2D or 3D can be added to hit or damage, based upon range.

Subject to the Scatter-Fire rule which caps the amount of Auto-Fire dice the character can put to Damage depending on Range. At Point Blank, the character can put the full amount into Damage; at Short, it's Full - 1D; at Medium, it's Full - 2D; Long is Full - 3D; and so on.

Quote:
If the character tries to do any other actions in the round, the suffer a map penalty based upon the fire mode.

No. Any shots taken with the lower value are treated like normal shots for MAP purposes; you declare the shot, take your MAPs as appropriate, but you are allotted 2D to split between Gunnery and Damage (again, subject to Scatter-Fire) on that shot.

If, on the other hand, the shooter goes for a Full-Round Burst, they get 3D instead of 2D (again, subject to the Scatter-Fire rule), but that is the only attack they can make with that weapon that round.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok got it. Thanks for the clarification.

First value: XD
Shooting as a normal action - an automatic weapon gets a bonus to either hit or damage, based on range. All normal map penalties work.

Second Value: YD - gets bonus to hit or damage, based on range. Can't take another action.

How do you handle multiple targets - say three character sized targets in close proximity? (i.e. a group of three battle droids, or troopers etc.).

Is that in there or did I miss it somewhere?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, the Auto-Fire modifier is used as a MAP off-set. So if the character is shooting three times at three different targets, that's a -2D MAP, but the weapon's Auto-Fire dice off-sets the MAP.

Based on what little I have learned about how automatic fire functions, thought, I'd probably only allow MAP off-sets on the Full-Round Burst.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Based on what little I have learned about how automatic fire functions, thought, I'd probably only allow MAP off-sets on the Full-Round Burst.

Can you explain this? If you shoot with the full round burst, then that is the only action you could take, so there would be no MAP, correct? So how could the Auto-fire duce be used as a MAP off-set?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly looking at it from a perspective that "firing at multiple targets with the same burst" should only be allowed when using the Full-Round Burst mode. I agree MAPs aren't the best way to represent it.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you are firing the one long-burst and you get the bonus die in auto-fire, you can only shoot once. I assumed that meant just one target. Can you actually sweep the long-shot and hit multiple targets?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
So if you are firing the one long-burst and you get the bonus die in auto-fire, you can only shoot once. I assumed that meant just one target. Can you actually sweep the long-shot and hit multiple targets?

That's what I'm picturing, so long as they aren't standing too far apart.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I am confused. I thought the entire reason for the Auto-fire duce was to reflect the flurry of bolts, allowing someone to shoot a number of different targets and the extra due represented pumping all those shots at one target. If you allow this long-shot to target mtiple 'close' targets, you have to still add more rules that are not present in your current stats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has more to do with the mental capacity of the shooter to focus on multiple targets at once. Having read / spoken to people with real-life experience firing fully automatic weapons, I get the distinct impression that there is a real challenge in splitting a single burst of fire between multiple targets, and that it is better represented by the machine gunner essentially targeting an area, not just the beings in it. In fact, it's common practice for infantry units to disperse themselves (keeping minimum space between individuals) specifically to prevent the targeting of individuals.

So, while a character could use their Auto-Fire dice to off-set MAPs by making three separate attacks, each augmented by the weapon's Auto-Fire dice. What they can't do is make a single attack against three targets simultaneously, using the 2D Auto-Fire to off-set the 2D MAP for attacking two additional targets.

However, if the shooter were to target a specific area with a Full-Round Burst, they'd have a chance of hitting anything in that area (provided it isn't too large), like a blast-radius effect. I haven't fully worked out the details, but it would effectively side-step MAPs by making one attack that affects everything inside a given area.

Sorry if I'm not making sense; I'm still a little addled from COVID.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time with your recovery! I am asking so many questions because I will be using a heavy repeater to repell of boarding action in an upcoming game, so will have a chance to use your rules very soon and wanted to be clear on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: