The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

8k,19k Super star destroyer discrepancy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> 8k,19k Super star destroyer discrepancy? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
A Wise man once said, "There are alternatives to fighting."

A wiser man once said, “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.”

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Says the man/person/being that wants to rescale all small ships with the correction formula made to correct the error in one ship's scaling/representation...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Says the man/person/being that wants to rescale all small ships with the correction formula made to correct the error in one ship's scaling/representation...

ANd who seems to spend most of his time, retooling damn near everything he can...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“If it’s not broken…”

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise man once said "If you are trying to put a nail into a piece of wood you don't need to do anything fancy, just take a hammer and hit it."

I, too, feel updating all of the capital ship speeds would make them faster than fighters, which is counter to what is shown in film. That's my thoughts.

Also, as I recall, the Falcon was not only not fully repaired, but had been partly sabotaged. While only the Hyperdrive is mentioned specifically, it makes sense they may have mucked up other systems? I would also not that even if the Falcon could outrun the SSD, it would take time to get out of range of it's weapons batteries, and they would still face continued threat from it's fighter compliment, and the likelihood additional vessels would be called in to capture them. While much of this may not have been expressly said in ESB, it is all within what I would consider common knowledge that would make jumping to lightspeed the only means of escape.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

garhkal wrote:
ANd who seems to spend most of his time, retooling damn near everything he can...

Every stat or rule change I have made, I have justified by either 1) pointing out how the stat doesn't match up to WEG's own published fluff, or 2) pointing out how it conflicted with the films. I have justified my Scale system by pointing out how poorly it sorts craft / vehicles into different size categories, and providing multiple examples of how it does so. Can you provide similar justification for making all Imperial warships have a Space of 7?

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rewatched the scene at the end of ESB. Check it out at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jWqD3Zs9Q.

The Falcon flies directly to the Executor, along its 'trench' and past its stem. It then continues gaining distance from the Execeutors with the TIEs still in close pursuit. I don't think we learn much of the Executor's speed from this because it did not catch the Falcon at all - the Falcon flew to it. We do know it was slower than the Falcon since the Falcon shot past its length and bow. We also learned that tractor beams must have a really short and fixed forward fire arc... man when was it ever going to be in range??? The Death Star caught the Falcon in its tractor bean when it still looked like a small moon in the distance!

I still like making the Executor faster than Space 4 though.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Now you have to admit, that is funny. I love the tinkering you have done in SWD6, use most of it, and think it makes the old game a lot better, but it's gotta be hard to say that quote with a straight face.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The Falcon flies directly to the Executor, along its 'trench' and past its stem. It then continues gaining distance from the Executor with the TIEs still in close pursuit. I don't think we learn much of the Executor's speed from this because it did not catch the Falcon at all - the Falcon flew to it. We do know it was slower than the Falcon since the Falcon shot past its length and bow. We also learned that tractor beams must have a really short and fixed forward fire arc... man when was it ever going to be in range??? The Death Star caught the Falcon in its tractor beam when it still looked like a small moon in the distance!

I still like making the Executor faster than Space 4 though.

My thinking is that, while it doesn't show it on screen, the Executor was fast enough to - with the aid of the TIEs - still get out in "front" of the Falcon for an intercept. As such, Lando and Chewie's only option was to get in too close to the Executor for it to bring its tractor beam to bear (getting "under the guns", so to speak), which is a rule I've been wanting to introduce but haven't worked out exactly how to frame it.

Of course, at that close range, the Executor was massive enough to trip the Falcon's hyperdrive cut-out, so in order to engage the hyperdrive, they had to break clear, which put them in the fire arc of the tractor beam.

So it wasn't that the tractor beam was a close range weapon, it's that they were too close for it to be effectively brought to bear.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lesser Poggle once said, "RR 'kua-edo a'ai."

CRMcNeill wrote:
Seriously, don't make changes to stats without a much better reason than "because space opera".

It's one thing for one to express why one does or doesn't house rule/alt-stat something in their own game (it's what we do here), but the above imperative goes a step further. I sense you are annoyed by the very suggestion that someone else on the internet is altering their game that you are not even a player in. You have no horse in that race. If he wants to blanket-alter all capital ships to Space 7 à la Rian Johnson in his game, let him.

"Because space opera" has been used quite a bit here over the years. But if he ever says that Space 7 is "faster" than Space 7, then we can make fun of him. Cool?

CRMcNeill wrote:

The problem with this statement here is that "broken" is subjective. I have had this reaction to some of your house rules. RAW has worked fine for me or I think something at most needs minor tweaks, for something you create all new rules for. But I word it subjectively, that I don't have that problem with RAW in that case.

I'm not at all of the mind to "johnsoning" the Imperial fleet, but I am not at all bothered if Inquisitor does, even if it was done arbitrarily.

garhkal wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

"There are alternatives to fighting," but these personal statements aren't the best ones.

And for the record, it is Prince Frank who correctly pointed out that the Falcon was mis-scaled then overgeneralized that it should apply to all WEG freighters (which were created by a variety of authors not using any uniform system and not based on film ships). I read his entire website top to bottom and he never presented any justification for his formulas applying to all WEG freighter stats, but I am not at all bothered if he wants to do it for his game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
YMMV.

YMMV? "Your Mileage May Vary"?

Indeed.

KageRyu wrote:
Also, as I recall, the Falcon was not only not fully repaired, but had been partly sabotaged. While only the Hyperdrive is mentioned specifically, it makes sense they may have mucked up other systems? I would also not that even if the Falcon could outrun the SSD, it would take time to get out of range of it's weapons batteries, and they would still face continued threat from it's fighter compliment, and the likelihood additional vessels would be called in to capture them. While much of this may not have been expressly said in ESB, it is all within what I would consider common knowledge that would make jumping to lightspeed the only means of escape.
CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I just rewatched the scene at the end of ESB. Check it out at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jWqD3Zs9Q.

The Falcon flies directly to the Executor, along its 'trench' and past its stem. It then continues gaining distance from the Executor with the TIEs still in close pursuit. I don't think we learn much of the Executor's speed from this because it did not catch the Falcon at all - the Falcon flew to it. We do know it was slower than the Falcon since the Falcon shot past its length and bow. We also learned that tractor beams must have a really short and fixed forward fire arc... man when was it ever going to be in range??? The Death Star caught the Falcon in its tractor beam when it still looked like a small moon in the distance!

My thinking is that, while it doesn't show it on screen, the Executor was fast enough to - with the aid of the TIEs - still get out in "front" of the Falcon for an intercept. As such, Lando and Chewie's only option was to get in too close to the Executor for it to bring its tractor beam to bear (getting "under the guns", so to speak), which is a rule I've been wanting to introduce but haven't worked out exactly how to frame it.

Of course, at that close range, the Executor was massive enough to trip the Falcon's hyperdrive cut-out, so in order to engage the hyperdrive, they had to break clear, which put them in the fire arc of the tractor beam.

So it wasn't that the tractor beam was a close range weapon, it's that they were too close for it to be effectively brought to bear.

Food for thought.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Now you have to admit, that is funny. I love the tinkering you have done in SWD6, use most of it, and think it makes the old game a lot better, but it's gotta be hard to say that quote with a straight face.

Yea, i probably should have had a smiley face.. BUT it is ironic, CRM saying "IF its not broke, don't fix it", yet he's ONE OF THE MOST tinkering folks around here, with his stuff he comes up with...
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Palpatine voice)) "Ironic..."

"Space Opera" was neither my defense nor justification for the Empire's 'Space 7" fleet in my SWU. It was intended as a polite reminder we are playing a game, where what rules of the real world apply is at our discretion, regardless of what rationale is behind it, the main things are consistency & everyone having fun.

Whill makes a damned good point. We are, each and every one of us, an individual, with unique perspectives, thought processes & ways of doing things. We are shaped by our individual circumstances & experiences into ever more unique individuals.
We have different perspectives & see or interpret things differently. Situations that are problems for some aren't necessarily problems for all. There are problems we all have, but we resolve them differently...

Regarding my rationale for the Space 7 Imperial Fleet, i thought about what the Admiralty would think & came to the conclusion they'd be of a mind of "We can do it, we have the technology. So why not?"
The Admiralty would then have to make a good case for it to the Emperor, to bypass & override the naysayers in the Senate. In my SWU, the Emperor approved a faster, stronger, more aggressive fleet. Consequences be damned. Consequences to the common folk are beneath his concern... But there are consequences...
Victory II Star Destroyers being specifically made faster than Victory I Star Destroyers as a key change made with refitting them. This may have started in the EU but became, and remains, canon.
As per cost-cutting measures, the Empire refits older warships like the Dreadnought heavy cruisers to keep them competitive with newer ships. They get & upgrade civilian transports like Gozanti cruisers in bulk as cheap alternatives to constructing new capital ships.
Making their ships faster as a standard, has many advantages that make it worth the cost. Key among them, is helping to ensure the investment in making/upgrading these ships is not wasted.
Will this make it harder to evade Imperial pursuit? Definitely.
Will it make escape/evasion impossible? Not necessarily. Now & then, perhaps, but not every encounter.
Will players have to get more creative? God i hope so!

The Rian reference/allegation was a low blow.
I have never had the intention of f------- over/alienating half my audience/players. Thank God my approval rating was & still is so much higher than the aforementioned mister johnson's...
The only player who never liked my way of GM-ing, was a fellow who started giving me unsolicited GM advice from day one. He chose to play a Scout, but adamantly refused to do any scouting or scout-related activity, giving a 'nope! I ain't doing it' to any & all opportunities i gave him were his character could shine... Worse, he played his character like he was in a ghetto in Shadowrun or Cyberpunk, not Star Wars. I had to kick him out because he was getting on the other players' nerves.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't trying to blow, low or otherwise. My point was, even if a GM here went above and beyond what you are doing, and made all capital ships the same speed with only different fuel capacities, it still shouldn't bother anyone else if they aren't a player in that game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is also worth mentioning that those of us who GM also must consider our players and what they like as well. I don't use a few house rules I really like because my players do not like them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: