The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

interesting damage question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> interesting damage question Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: interesting damage question Reply with quote

lately i been reading some scifi by john ringo, namely the poslean series. so here's the question for everyone with more schooling than me.
what would be the damage on a weapon that fires a projectile at relativistic speeds? if i remember correctly in the books it was listed at around 4-5% the speed of light.
what would the star wars weg d6 damage be for a:
1mm tear drop round?
3mm tear drop round?

and if youre familiar with the series, thoughts of the high velocity missile launcher damage. or the SheVa guns.

and since i been wracking my brain bucket to finish my thorough write up for the halo conversion, what about the Gauss and mac rounds in the halo universe?
what would the star wars weg d6 damage be for a:
5.4mm round moving at 15,000 meters per second?
25mm round moving at approximately 13,611.6 m/s?
a 600-ton ferric-tungsten projectile moving at 30 kilometers per second?
a 3000-ton ferric-tungsten round moving at 12,000 kilometers per second? (roughly 4% the speed of light)

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... if I remember correctly, certain IEDs were being launced at 22,000 feet per second... roughly 4 miles per second, and they punched straight through just about anything.

Though I'm inclined to believe that the "damage" would be no higher (at least not meaningfully so) just on account of the speed. Instead, I'd reason that there is some kind of armor piercing effect (ignores a certain amount of armor) while the lethality to the target remains similar to what a regular bullet would do.

Check out some videos on penetration tests: many times, the faster moving round is the one that punches through the most material, while the biggest round delivers more energy (shock/impact) to the target.

For example, I saw one experiment where a bunch of different rounds were fired at a frying pan. Of the pistol rounds, 9mm and. 40 punched through, while. 45 did not (I didn't think any of the rounds would penetrate, but was not surprised that the faster rounds were the ones that did it).
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but against flesh high speed tends to equal more damage as it moves through the body. All that energy wreaks havoc against squishy stuff.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting damage question Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
here's the question for everyone with more schooling than me.
what would be the damage on a weapon that fires a projectile at relativistic speeds? if i remember correctly in the books it was listed at around 4-5% the speed of light... (roughly 4% the speed of light)

Of course 4-5% of the speed of light is still very fast, but relativistic speeds are generally 10% of the speed of light or higher, so I wouldn't even call 5% a "relativistic speed". Just sayin'.

I'm quite certain that if bullets could be fired at even 4% the speed of light (around 1000 times faster than the fastest in real life) it could significantly increase the damage due to the increase in energy, but weapon details of shooting projectiles "relativistic speeds" or even "4% the speed of light" just don't seem Star Wars to me so I wouldn't even bother with that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still curious to see what peoples opinions on the damage rating for a 3 millimeter tear drop made of depleted uranium propelled by a tiny amount of antimatter to relativistic speeds would be. the 4-5% the speed of light was a guess, i couldnt remember the actual numbers and looking through several books trying to hunt it down would take nearly as long as it took to read them. but i can find numerous points where they are described as being fired at relativistic speeds.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You looking for stats, then?
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
still curious to see what peoples opinions on the damage rating for a 3 millimeter tear drop made of depleted uranium propelled by a tiny amount of antimatter to relativistic speeds would be. the 4-5% the speed of light was a guess, i couldnt remember the actual numbers and looking through several books trying to hunt it down would take nearly as long as it took to read them. but i can find numerous points where they are described as being fired at relativistic speeds.

I don't think it would actually be very effective vs plain human beings. That level of speed is so fast all it would "effectively" do is burn a hole clean through and cauterize the wound. It's hard to guess exactly how hot that might be as well, but such a small hole wouldn't even necessarily be fatal unless it hit you in the brain or severed your spine; given the kinds of functional failures that people live with in heart/liver/lungs, a cauterized hole wouldn't actually prove fatal outside those two points.

As a functional weapon, its real value would be in armor penetration, which isn't typically a problem in Star Wars.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that qualify similarly to the magna caster??
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I agree with garhkal - that's a magna caster. Any railgun / coilgun / MLA would be similar to magna caster.

However, the projectile is much bigger with the magna caster, and as the magna caster was "whisper quiet" a speed of 0.05c would at the very least sound like a howl or intense snap (rapid fire would be ... exciting).

If we were to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations - let's say that your 1mm teardrop is a sphere 1mm in diameter. DUC has a density of 19.1 g per cubic centimeter. If my calculations are correct, each projectile weighs in at ~0.01g. So that gives about 1 GJ energy for the 1mm teardrop, and a similar calculation gives 30 GJ energy for the 3mm teardrop.

With such a tiny cross section of the projectile and such a high speed, I'm having trouble seeing any energy transference to the target - but you'll likely get cavitation as the primary damage mode for the weapon.

I'm also unsure on how well this would work in an atmosphere. It would smash through atmosphere like a streak of plasma, and the projectile itself won't have much integrity either - sputtering would destroy it quite fast. There's a relevant XKCD, of course. https://what-if.xkcd.com/89/

If you time your rapid fire right, you might utilize the vacuum channel made by the previous shot on your subsequent shots, which means you might get further.

Star Wars, however, doesn't run on physics. It runs on plot. So if the 1mm is roughly equivalent to, say, a light repeater, it does 6D (energy) damage. If the 3mm is roughly equivalent to an E-Web, it does E-Web damage. And the ranges are similar.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
You looking for stats, then?

yes

garhkal wrote:
Wouldn't that qualify similarly to the magna caster??

looking at the magna caster now
http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magna_Caster
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magna_Caster-100

dont see the magna caster firing its projectile all that fast. seems that its just firing a crossbow bolt/quarrel at rifle caliber speeds; 2,300-3,300 fps.

Quote:
If we were to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations - let's say that your 1mm teardrop is a sphere 1mm in diameter. DUC has a density of 19.1 g per cubic centimeter. If my calculations are correct, each projectile weighs in at ~0.01g. So that gives about 1 GJ energy for the 1mm teardrop, and a similar calculation gives 30 GJ energy for the 3mm teardrop.

would would be the effect of the projectiles upon impact? the projectile being so small and lacking weight would it just explode on impact or would it penetrate? either way to what degree would it do it? ive watched several videos of the real world experimental railgun weapons being tested. iirc the slugs fired seemed to sometimes looked to be on fire at they flew down range. others seemed to explode upon impact with a solid target.

RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to try and replicate the Armored Combat Suits but my brain is not meant for math.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not really convinced there would be any more damage. If the relative "squishiness" or fragility of the target were a factor, then paper targets would be obliterated by 9mm, considering how much "damage" those rounds do to flesh. Firing supersonic rounds or subsonic rounds through paper, the hole looks the same.

The best I think you can get with more speed is more range, assuming the ballistics can support that kind of flight (cutting through wind becomes harder the faster you go).

I also think you'd get more penetration, but the bodily damage would not increase. Regular bullets already have enough velocity to punch through flesh. Once that barrier is broken, more speed does not somehow translate into a bigger hole.

Also, trauma is greater with slower slower rounds, as more energy is delivered to the target. But penetration is greater with faster rounds. But if 1100 feet per second is sufficient to overpenetrate flesh and bone, then why would 2000 feet per second be more or less deadly? And then, 100,000 feet per second?

Here's my take: rhe size/caliber of the projectile determinsles its damage. And the speed determins its penetration (ignore armor).
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also look at the verpine shatter gun.

also the note about atmospheric effects a shock wave could do damage also vs soft targets.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

https://what-if.xkcd.com/20/

Larger than a theoretical man-launched projectile, but worth noting.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
I'd like to try and replicate the Armored Combat Suits but my brain is not meant for math.

i would try to get a conversation about a write up for them going but i think it would just fall on flat ears as it appears that most of the commenters here have not read the books...

Naaman wrote:

The best I think you can get with more speed is more range, assuming the ballistics can support that kind of flight (cutting through wind becomes harder the faster you go).

if i remember correctly its at or around 200 mph that youre no longer cutting through the air but actually starting to compress it in front of you.

Savar wrote:
also look at the verpine shatter gun.

also the note about atmospheric effects a shock wave could do damage also vs soft targets.

the verpine shatter gun cant be firing its projectiles too fast. since, as the wookieepedia entry states, "that you could fire rocks out of them if you had to." wouldnt a standard rock just disintegrate at higher velocities?

also, in the books it states that upon impact with a target the round explodes killing everything within about 10 feet of the point of impact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: