The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars D6 1st Edition Rules Summary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Star Wars D6 1st Edition Rules Summary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorus_889
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Star Wars D6 1st Edition Rules Summary Reply with quote

As a new GM, I decided to spend some time creating a Rules Summary Google Doc to help me learn the ropes of GMing without having to constantly flip through the rulebook. I also plan on sharing it with my players to help familiarize them with the game. I am linking it below with the hope that those who GM or play find it helpful for their games.

I also would like feedback and constructive criticism so I can improve upon it, as I am a beginner at the game.

Note: I included a summary of all the the Force User rules from the rulebook, but did not fully outline the Force powers given that Force users seem to be a minority of players.

To the Mods: Please feel free to host this in your Downloads section.

[b]LINK: [b]Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, 1st Edition Rules Summary

Last edited by Jorus_889 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Useful for me, as I am in a major house rules revision of 2.5 - but selectively taking inspiration for other various versions....

(trying to keep the best of 2.5, removing the bloat, and adding in elements from both older and newer systems, common house rules, etc.).

Nice work in there - although - heh.... my first reaction was "summary? 60 pages?".

thanks again for sharing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars D6 1st Edition Rules Summary Reply with quote

Jorus_889 wrote:
As a new GM, I decided to spend some time creating a Rules Summary Google Doc to help me learn the ropes of GMing without having to constantly flip through the rulebook. I also plan on sharing it with my players to help familiarize them with the game. I am linking it below with the hope that those who GM or play find it helpful for their games.

I also would like feedback and constructive criticism so I can improve upon it, as I am a beginner at the game.

Note: I included a summary of all the the Force User rules from the rulebook, but did not fully outline the Force powers given that Force users seem to be a minority of players.

To the Mods: Please feel free to host this in your Downloads section.

LINK: Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, 1st Edition Rules Summary

Jorus_889, welcome to the Pit! And thank you for sharing your work.

Yes, the 60-page summary is a a lot for a "summary," but I see that half of it is character templates and the charts and tables from the back of the book. The charts and tables are vital for a 1e rules summary, but I don't feel the templates are. The character templates are not useful after character creation so I would move them to a separate document (with the character creation rules). I absolutely love the vertical template format with the "front" and "backs" side-by-side, so I would keep that for a 1e template document. I did notice that you used the 31st Anniversary release as the basis because the Tough Native and Wookiee have a Dexterity skills missing. But that is not a huge deal because those skills can be written on the blank line.

If you wanted to edit stuff out of the summary document to further reduce page count, you could always reduce the skills section to just a blurb about what each skill is used for instead of all the rules. But maybe this is really more than a summary? Maybe this is full-fledged player handbook for players that don't have the rulebook? If so I can understand the fullness of the document better.

Whatever you decide to do, please do share the final results and I will add them to the Rancor Pit Library. This is a really awesome start for a document 1e players and GMs will love.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.. Thanks for making that link. Very resourceful.
KendrikTheRed
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm running my first 1e one-shot next week, and will be doing so for first time players. This is an excellent work you have shared! I especially love the way you've done the templates. Figuring out how to distribute those in a tidy way for people playing (we're spread across the 'States and playing over Discord) was a challenge I faced. I will definitely share this.

I also appreciate Whill's opinions and further summarizing it and splitting templates to a second document. You can bet I will use these things either way. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I think my dream variation of your work, if you want to hear that, is that you release it as three documents. The first could be this, with or without the templates section. Your big summary that captures a lot of important details. The second would be just the templates section of this document for easy distribution. The third would be a quick reference (which may already be in published GM Screen type products; I'm not sure since I don't have one).

As someone new to SWd6 1e, I don't have all the named skills memorized, nor which attribute they fall under, for example. Doesn't need how each mechanic works since I'm getting the gist of things, but enough relational info to jog my memory on one or two pieces of paper. If I need to consult the full summary or book, then that's that, but if I just need that small helper quick reference, then having it in very concise and separate form would be a boon to this new GM.

But seriously, this is an awesome labor of love you've shared and hugely appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: