The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Sensor Shopping List.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship Sensor Shopping List.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Ship Sensor Shopping List. Reply with quote

Reposting this from the Google Plus Community:

I was just browsing through all of my ship supplements, and I noticed something. We have a plethora of replacement weapons, shields, hyperdrives, ion drives, and all kinds of nifty extras we can install in our ships, but what about sensor suites?

I feel like an important part of the ship systems has been kind of glossed over, the only way to get better sensors is to either improve them like weapons (assuming you house rule the range and damage mods to sensors, like I do.), or to buy a new ship.

I was thinking about going through the various ships and pulling their sensor suites to make a shopping list for prospective ship captains that want to give their ships an edge over others. It's easy for a ship's captain to avoid being picked up by a patrol, if his sensors can pick them up well before they're in range of the enemy ship's sensors.

Any thoughts? Has anyone already done this? 
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been poking down a similar road lately, and compiling various starship systems.

I don't know if there are any specific *upgrades* to the sensor stats, but the 1E version of GG6 and the 2nd edition (not 2ERE) rule book has info on 3-5 different *types* of sensors, with their prices (crystal gravtraps, and so forth.)

BTW, when you say house ruling damage and range mods, to what are you referring?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC tramp freighters and pirates and privateers had some stuff, but not much..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I seem to recall seeing the things you guys have mentioned, like the gravtrap and all of that. I was looking for basic sensor packages with ranges and power, so if someone wanted to install a whole new set of sensors to upgrade their ship, I'd have some available.

Quote:
BTW, when you say house ruling damage and range mods, to what are you referring?

Moj, you know how in the technical section of the main rulebook, they have rules for improving range and damage codes of weapons? I've applied those modifications for sensors, so a sensor suite can have it's range increase, and the damage upgrades improve power.

So a sensor set on a lone scout B has a scan range of 120, using the weapon modification rules, you can increase the range using the same table in the rulebook. Using the same system, the scout's scan power is 3D+2, which can be upgraded a further 1D+2 using the damage increase rules for weapon improvement from the main book.

Make sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: