The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Under-Barrel Weapon Options
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Under-Barrel Weapon Options Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the stats on the Magnacaster in Rules of Engagement. It uses the same tech as a rail gun, but at a fraction of the velocity.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about writing up rules for accessory rails which provide for a certain amount of kit that the weapon can hold. Mostt systems are available in various lengths and will accommodate a limited number of items (barrel lenth will be the ultimate determination as to how many things the rail can hold, assuming it is as long as the barrel).

Ill eventually write up the rules and post in the other thread, but maybe an adaptation to whatever rules set you are using could be developed.

For secondary weapons, thia would basically take up the entire bottom rail, so a flash lighrlt or laser would have to go on the side. If you are not using encumbrance rules, then how much junk goes onto the weapon wont really matter, but generally, a competent operator wants a "clean" system that is as light as possible, so only things that solve a problem are installed. Not sure if you want to worry about the bulk/weight of the weapon. If not, it probably doesn't matter. If so, just know that secondary weappn systems add a lot of weight to the front end, so the firepower needs to be sufficient to make that extra mass worthwhile..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Read the stats on the Magnacaster in Rules of Engagement. It uses the same tech as a rail gun, but at a fraction of the velocity.

That is true, though i could have sworn i saw something about the magna casters having issues if jostled around..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I've been thinking about writing up rules for accessory rails which provide for a certain amount of kit that the weapon can hold. Mostt systems are available in various lengths and will accommodate a limited number of items (barrel lenth will be the ultimate determination as to how many things the rail can hold, assuming it is as long as the barrel).

Ill eventually write up the rules and post in the other thread, but maybe an adaptation to whatever rules set you are using could be developed.

For secondary weapons, thia would basically take up the entire bottom rail, so a flash lighrlt or laser would have to go on the side. If you are not using encumbrance rules, then how much junk goes onto the weapon wont really matter, but generally, a competent operator wants a "clean" system that is as light as possible, so only things that solve a problem are installed. Not sure if you want to worry about the bulk/weight of the weapon. If not, it probably doesn't matter. If so, just know that secondary weappn systems add a lot of weight to the front end, so the firepower needs to be sufficient to make that extra mass worthwhile..

It could be as simple as a -D to hit for accessories. Bayonets are notorious for throwing off the accuracy. Although at that point, you're also generating stats for weight of weapons and whatnot too.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works pretty well with the armor encumbrance....

Though Id feel bad offering a weapon "upgrade" thatt makes the character more likely to miss...

But what I was trying to convey was the idea that putting too many things on a gun makes it cumbersome and that tjere is actually a strategic/tactical reason not to have every possible doodad on a gun.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
That works pretty well with the armor encumbrance....

Though Id feel bad offering a weapon "upgrade" thatt makes the character more likely to miss...

But what I was trying to convey was the idea that putting too many things on a gun makes it cumbersome and that tjere is actually a strategic/tactical reason not to have every possible doodad on a gun.

Right, but you might put it in a scenario where it goes like:

1 item = -1
2 items = -2
3 items = -1D
4 items = -1D+1
5 items = -1D+2
etc.

So adding a few things to rails isn't going to 'really' mess you up but, as an avid RL shooter, I can tell you that even just adding a small under-barrel light on one of my pistols for home-defense-use causes a change in the fire-profile. You might also opt to add that penalty to the MAP for follow-on shots instead (or as well). Recoil does change with the addition of accessories too afterall.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, recoil tends to decrease with added weight, but that is getting more technical than I would personally care to. The chart you gave works for me, though Id probably allow up to three items before imposing any kind of penalty... though I still don't feel rigjt about making the solution a penalty on the to-hit roll.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well, recoil tends to decrease with added weight, but that is getting more technical than I would personally care to. The chart you gave works for me, though Id probably allow up to three items before imposing any kind of penalty... though I still don't feel rigjt about making the solution a penalty on the to-hit roll.

I'd actually considered the 3 item baseline when I was working up the chart, but decided to post it the other way for those who want to make use of it in their own format. And while recoil does drop, you (as the shooter) compensate based on previous firings. That's why home-defense experts tell you to fire the weapon at the range as equipped at home; so you're comfortable with precisely the feel you get.

You might consider a 1-2 adventure "getting the feel for it" penalty when adding extra mods, so as to simulate getting used to firing the weapon with it's new characteristics.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Although, that level of "realism" defies the fast pace that the D6 system is designed to convey, IMHO. To each his own, huh?
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yup. Although, that level of "realism" defies the fast pace that the D6 system is designed to convey, IMHO. To each his own, huh?

It takes about 5 minutes for a GM to sit down and update the stat index card of commonly used skills for all the players in an average-sized game. Saves the wear on character sheets too.

And really, the ability for players to enjoy the game their way is what a classless system like D6 is really about anyway.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a tick.... are you calling us classless? Wink
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Wait a tick.... are you calling us classless? Wink

Sadly, it's unsurprising how many people confuse money with class.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, CRM:

What is the overall objective with this idea? Are you looking for military-style things or just stuff in general. For example, there are some sporting weapons which are "double barreled," but instead of it being like a double-barreled shot gun, it is a rifle/shotgun combo. The ones I have looked at (years ago) were very high end with filigree and stuff, indicating a high level of craftsmanship (and were therefore very expensive).

The downside? Each barrel was good for one shot (breech loaders). Not ideal for a combat situation, but I've always had this idea in my head of a bounty hunter or other mercenary type who has developed a fearsome reputation running around with his "lucky" single-shot (albeit archaic) blaster.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What is the overall objective with this idea? Are you looking for military-style things or just stuff in general.

My main area of interest was in the military side of things, but I made it an open-ended fishing expedition just to see what I could get. Ended up being rather overwhelmed, and I'm still sorting through some of the suggestions (been very busy with work lately).

I'm thinking about making a list of military-type weapons only, based mostly around the stuff I've proposed in the Warhammer Tech topic, plus a few add-ons. I'm considering folding the Micro-Grenade Launcher from GG10: Bounty Hunters into the Bolter stats, so that it can fire shotgun shells, slugs, bolts and small grenades.

Another thing I'm considering is stats for the 30mm Grenade Launcher from Aliens, where the grenades would be designed to be either thrown or fired from a grenade launcher. This would tie-in with writing stats for the various grenade types from the Warhammer 40K rules, maybe using the Zone Control Viper 2 as the basis for a pump-action grenade launcher.

Quote:
For example, there are some sporting weapons which are "double barreled," but instead of it being like a double-barreled shot gun, it is a rifle/shotgun combo. The ones I have looked at (years ago) were very high end with filigree and stuff, indicating a high level of craftsmanship (and were therefore very expensive).

The downside? Each barrel was good for one shot (breech loaders). Not ideal for a combat situation, but I've always had this idea in my head of a bounty hunter or other mercenary type who has developed a fearsome reputation running around with his "lucky" single-shot (albeit archaic) blaster.

The ultimate conclusion is that just about anything can be fit under the barrel of just about anything else, depending on the preferences and finances of the gunner in question. I will probably stick to having a standard blaster rifle as the primary, with a variety of options for under-barrel secondary weapons (i.e. the military approach).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well, recoil tends to decrease with added weight, but that is getting more technical than I would personally care to. The chart you gave works for me, though Id probably allow up to three items before imposing any kind of penalty... though I still don't feel right about making the solution a penalty on the to-hit roll.

Personally, I'd think side-rail mount stuff like small flashlights would be negligible in weight.

My solution for the increased weight ties in with something I added to my own version of various weapon stats, specifically, the One-Handed penalty. The short version is that this penalty stacks with any MAPs if the gunner attempts to shoot with one hand while performing another action with his free hand. Normal blaster rifles have a -1D One-Handed penalty, while heavier weapons like the Light Repeater have an increased penalty (-1D+1, although bumping it to -1D+2 would not be amiss). Basically, I'd give an under-over weapon an increased One-Hand penalty to reflect the awkwardness of the added weight, but allow it to operate normally apart from that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: