The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Since I run Rebellion-era games and in them the Empire heavily restricts weapons, the small or arguably benign (e.g., sporting) weapon becomes a more attractive, practical option. Only in the Outer Rim would a citizen be able to brandish anything larger than a pistol without harassment by local authorities.

And that's why the Outer Rim is more fun. Most of all my campaigns largely take place in the outer regions, but I do enjoy occasional adventures into the inner regions for variety.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the outer rims, you will still encounter planets with stringent weapon restrictions..

One of the planets i made for one of my modules, has the Following for ITS weapon (and droid) restrictions..

Melee weapons are limited to stun batons, unless in possession of a CDC-221 permit.
Blasters: Limited to 1 pistol. Heavy pistols are allowed with permit BCX-998.
Firearms: Limited to 1 bolt action rifle and 1 pistol. Anything else is prohibited. Other: Other than bows, crossbows, and licensed law enforcement agents, all other types of weapons are prohibited.
Violations of weapons restrictions, result in a 1-8 year imprisonment.
Permits can be purchased at a cost of 300 credits for melee weaponry and 500 credits for a heavy blaster pistol, and requires bureaucracy rolls of 18 to acquire.
Droid Restrictions:
Droids are allowed in the 2 following cases
1) The person has a medically verifiable handicap that requires the assistance of a droid to help the person in his day to day life. ALL medical helper droids will have a restraining bolt, with the controller in the hands of a local sheriff.
2) Protocol droids and business droids for those who’s jobs require one. This requires a yearly permit, N-8ICC5. These droids also will have a restraining bolt, and will get a quarterly memory wipe supervised by local government licensed technicians.

Another planet has
Laws of the planet:
1) BLASTERS VERBOTEN!!!
2) Melee weapons of a non-powered nature are allowed in plain view
3) 1 other weapon of the person’s choice can be openly displayed (eg bows, firearms, archaic guns)

Two planets i have also used, have some very strict rules.
ONE even disallows weaponry for BOUNTY Hunters, especially GUILD bounty hunters, due to the planet's Governor loosing his wife and kid to a bounty hunter firing indiscriminately several years back.
And the last actually REQUIRES all people on planet to carry ONE melee weapon (Swords preferred), and has special 'dueling' circles every 3-4 city blocks, as their planetary laws not only allow but ENCOURAGES one on one duals to settle any disputes.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:

To my players I present the case of "A vs. B" in terms of how frequently one will actually be able to use the weapon in question. Since I run Rebellion-era games and in them the Empire heavily restricts weapons, the small or arguably benign (e.g., sporting) weapon becomes a more attractive, practical option. Only in the Outer Rim would a citizen be able to brandish anything larger than a pistol without harassment by local authorities.

I think this IS the single best reason for 'sporting' weapons to exist as a viable choice.

Look at our time . The military has the m-4 with various modifications , barrel lengths etc etc etc. We, civilians, have the 'black rifle' AR platform that is the same thing, even with the different barrel lengths etc, except for the lack of a burst selection.

Heck, I'm going hunting tomorrow with gun based on the m-14 . And, I would love to get the civilian version of the fn-fal.

Those would all be classified as 'sporting' rifles and be the example of the above a v b option

Forgive all spelling errors.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill: I just grazed the first post for now, but I love what you're doing here. As you know, I have a totally different approach to the same issue, but I'd be happy to contribute anything you may find useful to your particular solution. I'll be back tomorrow to fully read through the thread.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
crmcneill: I just grazed the first post for now, but I love what you're doing here. As you know, I have a totally different approach to the same issue, but I'd be happy to contribute anything you may find useful to your particular solution. I'll be back tomorrow to fully read through the thread.

Looking forward to it. I like a lot of what you've done with the tactical combat idea, so I'd like to see what you have to offer here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing anything I don't like. This is all really well developed.

But here's what I love:
I
The way you handled auto fire is excellent (or is that RAW?). Question: I'm not seeing how to track ammo consumption on the full autos--did I miss it?

The carbine-rifle distinction is right on the money, too. Now, does the RAW retractible stock add a bonus to hit when extended (I can't remember). If so, Id say just let it omit the one-handed penalty, rather than provide a bonus. Also, adding an option for two-handed shooting off-shoulder, perhaps at a -2 penalty or something, as the "tight spaces" philosophy of use for a carbine sometimes prevents stock-to-shoulder firing. Although, that last bit could be universal for all guns, if you like it at all.

Spoerting weapons are well handled. Though I'm wondering what type of "spoerting" they are meant to cover.

IRL, sporting weapons are insanely accurate, but the tight tolerances and methods of care male them prone to malfunction... perhaps with the exception of pump guns, which don't actuall get any more accurate.

For a competition type weapon, the accuracy is tremendous, and the rate of fire would also be faster. The ammo used would be ill suited to combat, but still deadly: reduced damage is appropriate, I think. Are you allowing sporting blasters to be used with "self-defense" or law enforcement ammo? If so, consider allowing sporting weapons to up the damage to the appropriate battle-ready counterpart, but with a trade ocf such as a risk of malfunction (tie it to the wild die, maybe).

That's basically what I wanted to cover: my phone battery is about to die, so Ill be nack later when I get some more juice.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The way you handled auto fire is excellent (or is that RAW?).

This rule is actually a product of discussion in the House Rules section. IIRC, the primary contributors were myself and ZzaphodD.

Quote:
Question: I'm not seeing how to track ammo consumption on the full autos--did I miss it?

For simplicity's sake, I went with the idea that repeaters fired off a burst with every shot fired, so a single "shot" of ammo is actually multiple shots.

Quote:
Now, does the RAW retractable stock add a bonus to hit when extended (I can't remember).

It's a little odd. The RAW stats increase the carbine's Difficulty at Long Range by +5, but put the folding stock on the rifle, resulting in a +1D to Blaster. The rifle and sporting rifle are also equipped with scopes as part of the +1D bonus, but I decided to omit the scopes entirely and add them back in as after-market equipment.

Quote:
If so, Id say just let it omit the one-handed penalty, rather than provide a bonus. Also, adding an option for two-handed shooting off-shoulder, perhaps at a -2 penalty or something, as the "tight spaces" philosophy of use for a carbine sometimes prevents stock-to-shoulder firing. Although, that last bit could be universal for all guns, if you like it at all.

Could you clarify this? I'm assuming by off-shoulder, you are referring to firing a rifle or similar weapon from the hip while still using both hands?

EDIT: Okay, I thought about this. If you look at how blasters are used in the films, blaster rifles are regularly fired two-handed off-shoulder; the retractable stocks are almost never used. If that is the baseline, I'm thinking normal, non-penalized firing of a shoulder arm blaster represents two-handed off-shoulder shooting. Extending the stock and shooting from the shoulder adds a +1D bonus.

Quote:
Sporting weapons are well handled. Though I'm wondering what type of "sporting" they are meant to cover.

The main difference between the two types as far as the stats I did was the absence of auto-fire capability in the sporting blaster, much like how the AR-15 is virtually identical to the M4, just without the ability to fire 3-round bursts. As such, the sporting blaster is more along the lines of something like a Mini-14, semi-auto and high ammo capacity, but not a true assault weapon.

Quote:
For a competition type weapon, the accuracy is tremendous, and the rate of fire would also be faster. The ammo used would be ill suited to combat, but still deadly: reduced damage is appropriate, I think. Are you allowing sporting blasters to be used with "self-defense" or law enforcement ammo? If so, consider allowing sporting weapons to up the damage to the appropriate battle-ready counterpart, but with a trade off such as a risk of malfunction (tie it to the wild die, maybe).

My view of blasters is a generational step or two above the power guns from Hammer's Slammers. In the Hammerverse, power gun ammo is a disc of copper atoms of a fixed magnetic orientation sealed inside a plastic disc. With the right application of heat, pressure and electromagnetic energy, the copper releases its energy in a linear blast of plasma. My version of SW blasters uses a similar principle, but with blaster gas suspended in a fixed orientation within the blaster's firing chamber by way of a magnetic stasis field. As such, when you talk about different kinds of ammo, I picture different grades of blaster gas for higher damage. Like a gun enthusiast specifying a specific brand of hollow points or ball ammo, a blaster enthusiast would specify a specific brand and grade of blaster gas to recharge his power packs.
EDIT: Blaster-tech companies could even mix blaster gas types or custom tailor effects to get differing results, such as better penetration, better beam cohesion at range, better energy delivery, etc. It'd be a lot like loading specialized loads for modern firearms...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For competition-level sporting weapons, I'd probably use either the RAW for increasing Fire Control and Range, or use your Gunsmithing rules from the Tactical Combat thread to maximize accuracy at Medium and Long Range.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention the hip-shooting thing being the norm in Star Wars, I feel a bit better about a stock providing a bonus when used.

A little history:
Back in the Vietnam era (and pre "modern" urban warfare, when battles were fought in the wilderness, as opposed to cities and neighborhoods), the "machine gun" was the staple of combat. The M16 and AK47 were the next "hot item" in personal armament for warfare.

Back then, it was all about full auto fire. The primary technique is something we now jokingly call "spray and pray." Essentially, hip shooting. It was all the rage; and the movie--Rambo, Predator, Delta Force... even Star Wars--portray faithfully the techiques used back then.

Nowadays, even the three-round burst is widely regarded as a waste of ammo unless very, very close or far from the target. Shooting has evolved to be faster and more accurate, amd the weaponry has been adapted to more effective techiques employed today. Full auto still has its place, but for skirmishes and indoor fighting, etc, semi-auto is king.

Anyway, for continuity's sake, it makes sense to go with the low slung hip shooting as the standard method. For what its worth, TFA stormtroopers shoulder fire their weapons, IIRC, if that is worth anything in this discussion.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Nowadays, even the three-round burst is widely regarded as a waste of ammo unless very, very close or far from the target. Shooting has evolved to be faster and more accurate, amd the weaponry has been adapted to more effective techiques employed today. Full auto still has its place, but for skirmishes and indoor fighting, etc, semi-auto is king.

Oddly enough, this matches my video game experience. When playing the first version of the Delta Force FPS game, the M4 was my favorite weapon for long range shots against fast-moving targets (if you've never played the game, the maps are generally wide open spaces with long sight-lines). While the M40 and M82 were great for taking out a stationary or slow moving target at long range, the M4 was better for running targets because the three-round burst could put three rounds "into the box" with the target instead of just one.

My theory on coordination uses a graduated scale (i.e. +1D every time you double the number of people coordinating) as opposed to the 2R&E RAW's arithmetic scale (+1 for every additional person / weapon coordinating). For the purposes of Auto-Fire, I halved the values on my graduated scale (from x2 = +1D to x4 = +1D) so that a Blaster rifle firing a short burst fires off four shots instead of three.

Quote:
Anyway, for continuity's sake, it makes sense to go with the low slung hip shooting as the standard method. For what its worth, TFA stormtroopers shoulder fire their weapons, IIRC, if that is worth anything in this discussion.

Ill have to keep an eye out for that the next time I watch TFA. They also seem to use a mix of rifles and carbines, as well.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come up with a couple ideas that I'd like to discuss before I alter the stats, specifically the barrel lengths on the Sporting Blaster Pistol and Hold-Out Blasters and how that length affects quick draws. As shown in ANH (Leia shooting the stormtrooper before she gets stunned), the Sporting Blaster Pistol has a much longer barrel than other Blaster types. Conversely, the Hold-Out has a much shorter barrel. As such, I'm thinking of giving the Hold-Out a +1D to Quick-Draw rolls (similar to the Initiative bonus I originally suggested, but focused specifically on reaction time when drawing the blaster from its holster). I'd also give the Sporting Pistol a -1D to Quick-Draw rolls, due to the barrel length causing a longer Draw from standard holsters. A cut-down quick draw holster could compensate for this, but the longer Pistol would always be at a slight Disadvantage against shorter barreled pistols.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The way you handled auto fire is excellent (or is that RAW?). Question: I'm not seeing how to track ammo consumption on the full autos--did I miss it?

I've been thinking about this, and I've decided to use the following:
    Auto-Fire of 1D = 4 rounds expended
    Auto-Fire of 2D = 20 rounds expended*
    Auto-Fire of 3D = 100 rounds expended
    Auto-Fire of 4D = 500 rounds expended**

*No weapons will actually have an Auto-Fire rating of 2D (except perhaps some vehicles equipped with auto-fire weaponry). This will represent a partial-round short burst fired by a weapon with an Auto-Fire of 3D or 4D

**This is the Auto-Fire range for gatling guns (or their equivalents) or other weapons with extremely high rates of fire. It also applies to constant-stream weapons, such as particle beam cannon or flamethrowers.
Also, unless otherwise noted, Auto-Fire dice may not be applied to Damage against higher scale targets. To damage a target of a higher scale, the individual shots must be capable of penetrating for damage on their own.

Editing the Auto-Fire weapon stats accordingly...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rules for quick draw look like the CRNcNiell version of my rules. Its like you are saying the exact same thing but in your own language.

The way I do it is with a static bonus/penalty and I have a speed draw holster that provides a bonus as well.

For whatever its worth, here are the things that I feel affect the speed of the draw:

Holster location and orientation: the higher, the faster. Also, if the pistol is holstered parallel to the body (as opposed to across the body) it is faster, too.

Other than the barrel length, the remaining factors that I find affecting the speed of the draw are the weight and the balance of the gun. Those things may not be enough of a factor for you to bother with, though. Or, you could just make it a custom thing: "this blaster is perfectly balanced and is cut down to save weight so you get a +2 pips on the speed draw roll." Or something like that.

As for the automatic fire, is there some rason that there are no weapons with a 2D value?

Also, what do you mean when you say the individual shots must be capable of penetrating on their own? I'm thinking that a couple of 6s on a wild die might be able to overcome a 2D scale difference... perhaps you could allow the damage to be rolled, but then apply a penalty according to the scale difference? Maybe something like the dice caps from first edition?

I do like the exponential scaling, but I also feel like you need that 2D option to represent weapons that can fire really quickly and steadily. For example, the difference between an AK and an M249 which can unleash 850 rounds per minute. The M240 is capable of 950 rounds per minute. But the standard burst is 6-9 rounds (more or less a 1-second burst).

Then you have the type of guns mounted on helecopters that can fire quite quickly or else are just huge calibers. These would be well represented by the 100-level, and, then your constant stream could include things like the gatling gun found on the A10.

Anyway, I just feel like that 2D ought to be there.

Hope that helps.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The way I do it is with a static bonus/penalty and I have a speed draw holster that provides a bonus as well.

IIRC, there already is a Quickdraw Holster somewhere in the RAW (Fantastic Technology: Personal Equipment, I believe). I just figure that someone who wants to work with a Sporting Blaster Pistol can still Quickdraw with it, and can even do things to speed up their draw (like a cut-down holster), but the longer barrel still hinders them just a bit more than it would if they were using something shorter.

I think the main difference between what you are I are thinking is more a matter of degree than anything else; I'm a bit more willing to sacrifice realism for the sake of simplicity...

Quote:
As for the automatic fire, is there some reason that there are no weapons with a 2D value?

Mostly simplicity. I figured anything that was fully automatic could hose off at least 100 rounds in 5 seconds (and I don't think I posted stats for any fully automatic weapons with less than 100 rounds), but the shooter could fire short, controlled bursts that totalled less than that and not use up his entire magazine.

Quote:
Also, what do you mean when you say the individual shots must be capable of penetrating on their own? I'm thinking that a couple of 6s on a wild die might be able to overcome a 2D scale difference... perhaps you could allow the damage to be rolled, but then apply a penalty according to the scale difference? Maybe something like the dice caps from first edition?

The big problem with the Auto-Fire system the way I wrote it up was that, at close range, an Auto-Fire capable weapon becomes much more likely to be able to take out a larger, much more heavily armored vehicle. In real life terms, it would be like saying that a minigun firing thousands of 7.62mm rounds at a tank could take it out because it was hitting with so many rounds. Yet to truly damage the tank, the individual rounds need to be able to penetrate that tank's armor, which is highly unlikely.

Basically, that rule is my way of saying "it doesn't matter how many rounds your blaster can fire off per second if those individual rounds don't pack enough of a punch to get through the armor."

Now, since I use a 3=1 variant of the RoE Optional Damage Rules, firing more rounds does make it more likely that a few of those individual rounds may hit something vulnerable and inflict damage, but the damage bonus won't be nearly as high as it would be if the shooter was allowed to apply all of his Auto-Fire dice to damage.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying with the 5 seconds thing.

If you want to replicate some kind of military comat doctrine, cyclic fire is not really applicable to an actual gunfight. When you have a target and are exchanging fire, both you and the target willbe moving. The purpose of shooting at something is to destroy it. Even when suppressing, you should be taking well aimed shots, with the intent to hit as close to the target as possible and if possible, hit and destroy the target itself.

So even though cyclic fire is possible, it puts a lotof wear and tear on the gun (particularly overheating the barrel) and wastes ammo. Not to mention a lack of target dicrimiation if fighting in a populated area.

So, as a benchmark for what is possible, the 100 rounds per round makes sense from a rate of fire perspective, but not really from a dynamic combat perspective. In other words, even though a round is 5 seconds, that doesn't mean that a single action takes 5 seconds, hence, characters can declare as many actions as they want each round. So "a shot" with a repeater at +3D should take much longer than one action to finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: