The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battletech Crossover Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Battletech Crossover Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But that kind of flies in the face of what we have seen in canon (novels and films).

Does it? We've seen beam weaponry in the films, and the EU has labeled them lasers, but the films do not specifically identify them. Neither does the novel for Attack of the Clones. All that's needed is to willfully ignore the EU references that make them laser weapons.

And since turbolasers and lasers in the OT are all blast weaponry instead of beam weapons, assigning a new designation to the beam weaponry does help clear up some of the confusion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the stats, they are very cool.

Back in the day (90's) we converted some of the Mechs to Star Wars, but not in the way you did. We made them into droids (battle, recon, assassin, all that jazz). Just game them weapons that were close enough (if memory serves it was ewebs for PCP cannons, blaster rifles for heavy lasers, blaster pistols for medium lasers, etc). They filled the role of adversaries for the PC's on a few occasions (and were far more interesting than the "droid army" nonsense that arrived with 1,2 and 3).

I am pretty sure I have a few aerospace fighters and dropships that we converted over to D6 stats kicking around somewhere.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
Back in the day (90's) we converted some of the Mechs to Star Wars, but not in the way you did. We made them into droids (battle, recon, assassin, all that jazz). Just game them weapons that were close enough (if memory serves it was ewebs for PCP cannons, blaster rifles for heavy lasers, blaster pistols for medium lasers, etc). They filled the role of adversaries for the PC's on a few occasions (and were far more interesting than the "droid army" nonsense that arrived with 1,2 and 3).

I can see that working for some of them (there are certainly more than enough Much types to go around), but when I do crossovers, it is important to me to retain as much as the spirit of both universes as possible. Large Mechs with pilots is the key facet of the Battle tech universe, so I would stop short of just using mechs as character scale droids. I did make the Balmorran Arms models with a droid co-pilot to take some of the workload off the pilot.

I would consider fully automated Mechs operating under the command of a C3 system installed in a command mech, though...

Quote:
I am pretty sure I have a few aerospace fighters and dropships that we converted over to D6 stats kicking around somewhere.

Send them along, if you like. This topic isn't just for the mechs, although size constraints on the ships in the SWU might limit the utility of the really big Battle tech drop ships.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Space Trooper armor concept in my games with variations based off of Battletech Elementals, WH40K Terminator Armor, BGC style Hardsuites, and almost always there is one player in my groups that has thrown a fit.

I am a fan of the idea. Just like I am a fan of variant walkers... as it is a BIG galaxy with a lot of varying technologies out there.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I have used the Space Trooper armor concept in my games with variations based off of Battletech Elementals, WH40K Terminator Armor, BGC style Hardsuites, and almost always there is one player in my groups that has thrown a fit.

Big babies...

I did the same a while back, using space trooper power armor modified for planetary operations, combined with a Starship Troopers crossover that used orbital drop insertion for lightning raids against high value targets. I lost the stats in a hard drive crash a while back, but I've always wanted to redo the idea.

Quote:
I am a fan of the idea. Just like I am a fan of variant walkers... as it is a BIG galaxy with a lot of varying technologies out there.

Indeed. And its not like walkers are some amazing technology never before seen in the SWU, either.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basing some new Stormtrooper (zero-g) type suits on battle armor would be Smashing!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Basing some new Stormtrooper (zero-g) type suits on battle armor would be Smashing!

Personally, I'd rather base new stormtrooper armor on space trooper suits, then make up stats for Elemental armor as an Alliance counter of some kind.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about rather than being either Impeiral or Rebel, elemental suits are a product say of the Tapanii or Hapes consortium. used only in sector.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds too limiting. If anything, I'd rather have them be the precursor, less high-tech variant of spacetrooper armor, so that Alliance SpaceOps units can have power armor battles with spacetroopers, or use them more like the Battletech Elementals, as ground troops.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about autocannons? At least one variant of the Atlas has an AC/20 and it's a common BTech weapon type. I'm unaware of a direct Star Wars equivalent, though. Maybe treat it like a REALLY big slugthrower? Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
What about autocannons? At least one variant of the Atlas has an AC/20 and it's a common BTech weapon type. I'm unaware of a direct Star Wars equivalent, though. Maybe treat it like a REALLY big slugthrower? Smile

It's hard to come up with direct crossovers for all the BTech weaponry, especially in a universe with noticeably different tech-level thresholds. Walkers are very much a niche vehicle in an SWU where anti-grav tech abounds, yet anti-grav tech is quite rare in BattleTech. If you can come up with a good explanation as to why an auto-cannon would be superior to a turbolaser for the Atlas, I'm all ears...

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Heat.

* Can't get Tibanna gas or its equivalents.

* Want the flexibility of loading a variety of projectile types, for instance shield penetrators or the like.

* Don't want to have a highly visible projectile.

* They have an abundance of Beskar or something similar, significantly reducing the effectiveness of blaster weaponry.

* They tend to fight in areas with intense magnetic storms, that interfere with blasters.

* They don't have power generators efficient enough for turbolasers - yet.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All possibilities, to be sure, but most of these end up being niche issues in specialized environments. The galaxy as a whole, for example, isn't showing any sign of running out of tibanna gas, nor any particular concern that their projectiles can be seen. There will certainly be situations where one or more of these apply, but not so commonly as to require the "stock" version of a mech to be equipped to match them.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking in terms of disparate tech levels, but that clarifies everything. Thank you!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking in terms of disparate tech levels, but that clarifies everything. Thank you!

One additional thought...

While the pre-prequel EU that covered tanks (such as it was, and what there was of it), it focused strictly on heavy energy cannon only. When the prequels started coming out, several of the vehicles actually went with projectile launchers instead. In particular, the AAT had a mix of laser cannon and forward firing projectile launchers. I took a similar route when porting over the armored fighting vehicles from Renegade Legion, working from the premise that a tank traded onboard transport capacity (troops) for a mass driver cannon and the auto-loader and magazine system to feed it.

Now, Mechs don't have any troop transport capacity to trade, but could conceivably still be fitted with a mass driver cannon that can fire a variety of rounds for specific effect (armor piercing, proximity detonated anti-personnel, shield buster, etc), but the trade off would be size and limited ammunition capacity compared to a comparable laser or turbolaser weapon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: