The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disguise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Disguise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:
I usually just have them roll sneak. I seem to recall that Shadowing was a specialization of Sneak in the R&E RAW.

I don't see it listed in either the blue or R&E cover book. However, in Shadowrun allows Shadowing as a specialization of Stealth.

It's very well possible that I'm thinking of a different system. Upon further research, in D6 Adventures/Space, following someone without them noticing you is a usage of the Tracking skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering it overlaps two different skills (Sneak and Search), it might almost be worth making it an Advanced Skill: (A) Shadowing, with Sneak and Search as its prereq's.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Considering it overlaps two different skills (Sneak and Search), it might almost be worth making it an Advanced Skill: (A) Shadowing, with Sneak and Search as its prereq's.

That is a good idea.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

SO what would be situations you just roll your (A) Shadowing skill for? Would it be countered by search as is or only countered by (S) Shadowing itself?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

SO what would be situations you just roll your (A) Shadowing skill for? Would it be countered by search as is or only countered by (S) Shadowing itself?

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Mostly it would serve as a counter-MAP when you are having to roll Sneak and Search every round.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Mostly it would serve as a counter-MAP when you are having to roll Sneak and Search every round.

Yup, thinking it through, just counter MAP

It sounds cool but not much real application.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea that Shadowing would only be usable to counter MAPS.

Would it still add to search and sneak as all other advanced skills do when you just use their prerequisites?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would it still add to search and sneak as all other advanced skills do when you just use their prerequisites?

There is that, too.

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disguise is a specialty under Con. Sneak is used for sneaking.

Wedge was overtly hiding in plain sight while Lt. Page was the real back-up man hidden from view. Heir to the Empire.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
See what I mean? Hunting for the biggest/best possibility, rather than the GM and player working together to find the skill that best summarizes the situation.

There's a razor-thin line there between metagaming, and playing to a character's strengths and psychology. The thing you have to remember there, is a character generally knows at what they're best, and will naturally look at how to play circumstances to their strengths; players will also be aware of these things, having made and played their characters.

My rule as a GM is to defer to the players, especially when they can explain their thought process or approach the situation up-front in the mindset of how their character would handle it. The "how?" is the key; if the player voluntarily and readily explains what they're doing, you and the player are both in the best-possible place. If they have to look at their character sheet and take a few seconds to come up with a plan of action, that's not really a big problem as long as what they tell you is fundamentally in-character. If they don't have anything up front, it's fine to prompt them -- at the very least, it gets and keeps them in-character.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave disguise its own skill under perception. This had ranged of difficulty Very easy - hat and sunglasses to hide ones face, Difficult - makeup and prosthetics to make you look completely different, Heroic - trying to look like a specific well known person. This skill is only effects appearance. Con is used when interacting with others while disguised.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Disguise Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Disguise is a specialty under Con.

I read the character template for Disguise Artist in the Player's Guide to Tapani, and that got me thinking. What is the best way to represent the general ability of characters to disguise themselves? And not just to blend in a crowd, but also to pass themselves off as someone else specific (undoubtedly a higher difficulty regardless).

(1) Disguising uses the Con skill as it is in RAW, with a possible specialty skill available (even if rare).

(2) Disguise is a separate Perception skill.

(3) Disguise is an advanced skill with Con (and possibly other skills) prerequisite.

(4) Something else?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i always felt that disguise as a specialty of Con was wrong. It should have been its OWN skill, OR an advanced skill under Con.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Con description from the corebook, I would use option 3. There is no need to create more and more Skills for every use we can imagine.

Quote:
(1) Disguising uses the Con skill as it is in RAW, with a possible specialty skill available (even if rare).

Certainly, Con seems too generic for me to use it in RAW.

Quote:
(3) Disguise is an advanced skill with Con (and possibly other skills) prerequisite.

I would use Disguise as a Con test with some prerequisite for what the character is trying to impersonate (like some specific Knowledge -ie. Bureaucracy, Cultures, Law Enforcement...)
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Language would be huge, as an inability to speak the language or even an accent can be a dead giveaway while in disguise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: