The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Have any of you ever run "The Pirates of Prexiar"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Have any of you ever run "The Pirates of Prexiar"? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Have any of you ever run "The Pirates of Prexiar"? Reply with quote

I've many times glanced at the adventure "The Pirates of Prexiar", located towards the back of the Rulebook (2nd Edition, Revised and Expanded), as I'm sure many of you have as well.

But has anybody ever run it?

It appears that it's made for a newer, pretty inexperienced group of PCs, but of course a GM could adapt it or increase the opposition to make it better suited to a more experiened team of heroes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it as a one-off for a scratch group one time. Took a little railroading to get them to team up, but once that was over, it went well. They short circuited the speeder chase because their freighter's bay door was big enough to fly the cargo skiff directly into it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, crmc. Anybody else ever run this one?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, one way to up the difficulty is to change the mission objectives.

I ran for an Imperial Storm Commando once, who had to hijack the pirate corvette. That was a fun one.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've run it about seven times for various groups. It turns out different each time. When I insert it into a campaign, it's usually one of the first five adventures that I do with the group. Each time I change an element or two, but even with out those changes, the various groups make it run differently each time.

The first time I ran it, I had the pirates steal a Jedi artifact that the party needed back. The cargo wasn't the main issue, but discreetly finding this one precious item was. It wound up being in a wall safe in the pirate captain's personal quarters. Things got REEEEALY interesting.

My wife ran it once with me as a player. The only major difference is that the pirate base also had some surface to air munitions That had to be disabled before we could leave in case we alerted the pirates.

A couple of times the PCs sabotaged the pirate's ship.

The last time I ran it, I did it as an impromptu one-shot for a mixed bag of experienced and newbie players. I told the party that they had to locate a hostage -- the nephew of General Dodona -- and return him alive in addition to retrieving the cargo. When I handed out the special equipment to each person, I handed my wife a slip of paper that said, "You are an Imperial under cover operative. Make sure the hostage DIES. Don't blow your cover."

That last one was one interesting night.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, all. Thanks for the good ideas! Very Happy
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run this adventure at least three times, and though it ends with the same result it's really fun. The beginning the pcs figure out how to get into the base and sneak around on their own. It's fun to watch new players sneak around guards and such. The chase is fun, cause I throw different challenges each time I do it. The space battle is a good introduction to space combat.

This is the first adventure in my campaign and I'm currently running the third incarnation of it. Each time, Pirates of Prexiar is a great introduction to the game and it's mechanics. This one has all the elements of a good Star Wars adventure!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on incorporating it into my Long Shot Campaign - at the start of Tests of the Godking scenario, pirates attack. I've decided these will be part of Vangar's gang who (because The Long Shot Campaign is set in the Fakir Sector) are based on Palanhi rather than Prexiar. With any luck, when I run Godking tonight, my PCs will allow the pirates to dock and find out about Vangar's little band so they can follow up in the next session...
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use it as an introduction to the system. I tweak some details depending on the party and the timeline, but the basics work really well for "Here's how to play"
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have run this quest with my group before. i did it as a pre-campaign run to help the players get the quirks out with their characters. basically a means to allow the players to see how their builds worked in game.
it ran fairly quickly and was pretty easy, even with a party that was heavy combat orientated. afterward i let them either make a new character or make some minor changes to their current ones.

the quest probably would have been easier if the players didnt completely screw up and fail every sneak roll and end up running with the goods with the entire pirate compliment chasing them down and then repeatedly failing astrogation rolls in space and having a space battle while they burned a force point to succeed at astrogation because no one had skill higher than 2D in astrogation and hasty astrogation calculations are "ill advised" at the best of times.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running this next week and looking forward to it!

One question I have is if a map exists without the notes of what everything is? Or do GMs just show their PCs the map provided? I just feel it sets everything out for the players a bit too easily. I know the adventure wants the PCs to get on with the action, but I'd prefer them to scout and discover the camp for themselves.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a blank map, unless someone has edited the existing one for use with Roll20 or something along those lines.

Edit/Update:
My Google-fu has failed me. I wasn't able to find one on the net.

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't know of a blank map, unless someone has edited the existing one for use with Roll20 or something along those lines.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a long shot...and because we use Roll20 is exactly the reason why I'm on the hunt for one! Very Happy

Cheers anyway Raven!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use hidden sections to cover the names only. Once they get close enough to discover what something is, you could reveal it.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Light bulb goes on* Excellent suggestion, cheers Raven!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: