The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You. You did all the work collecting data.

I think that WEG really didn't intent for PCs in starfighters to go up against Capital ships- just run away from them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely. Just like it SHOULD be suicide for a character to go toe to toe with most walkers, but whether using the Scale caps (2e base) or the additional scale die (revised), a wookie on a force point stands a damn good chance of ripping a leg off a Chicken walker, and cam even damage an AT-AT.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there is a difference between running into an ISD when you'r flying a YT-1300 or X-Wing, and attacking an ISD with a squadron (or several squadrons) of X-Wings.

The RPG really wan't set up with the latter scenario in mind.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution, while not RAW, is simple and works for me.

SF scale weapons that hit a CAP scale have localized, (SF scale) effects, they can add up, but it takes a while.

CAP scale weapons that hit a SF scale target in combined fire receive only the bonus to hit not DMG, as I see CAP scale combined fire as saturation fire to a CAP scale area. For me it works on a fighter Squadron in tight formation as well.
failedjedi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Well then.... Reply with quote

A freighter killing 3 star destroyers is pretty epic. I'm sure you don't want to retcon these events, but despite the rules it is a live galaxy. Here's what I'd do.

First off, the empire is going to be PISSED. Big bounties placed on all characters involved. A special imperial task force will be sent after the freighter, and this force will be equipped to shoot the freighter and handle ion cannons.

Second off, technology will adapt. Imperial ships get retrofitted with improved shields or specially trained repair crews that can get systems back online within a round or two. Depending on when your story takes place, this might have already started and your players just lucked out by fighting three destroyers that haven't been retro-fitted yet.

Last but not least, tactics will adapt. Star destroyer captains will make sure they don't fall into gravity wells and they'll avoid combat courses where they may run into teach other. Rules aside, those were pretty incompetent starship captains if they crash into each other and fall into planets.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To respond to the original post, your players 5D damage roll beat out a 13D resist roll. That's an 8D difference. Yes, that deserves awesomeness.

Remember, the controls are only ionized for two rounds. Unless the ISD crashes inside of 10 seconds all you've bought yourself is a temporary reprieve.

Of course all it takes is an Imp gunner to explode on his wild and your player ship is vaporized.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was on about controls being dead, not just ionized, and neither the 2e main or the 2e revised book says how long they stay dead.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2E R&E, Page 128, Bottom Left column, Controls Ionized, 1st two paragraphs.

I don't feel like typing it out on my datapad. I mean smartphone.

Hope that helps.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said. That shows how long they stay locked up for when ionized.
If a ship has only 1d of maneuverability, (Or takes 16+ ion damage) it becomes dead in the water (controls dead).. But nothing is said for how long that is.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Controls ionized. A controls ionized result means that the ship's controls are temporarily overwhelmed by power surges. The ship loses -1D from its maneuverability, shields and weapon fire control and damage for the rest of that round and the next round.

If a ship is suffering from as many controls ionized results as the ship has maneuverability dice, the ship'controls are frozen for the next two rounds. The ship must maintain the same speed and direction for the next two rounds; it may not turn, fire weapons, make shield attempts or take any other actions, making the ship an easy target for enemy gunners.

I added a bit of emphasis. The Star Destroyer would be dead in space for the next two rounds. RAW.

In regards to why an ISD only has 1D of maneuverability dice, I think they overlooked this rule when they made the stats. However, if you check the Ship stats almost all ion weapons have less range than the equivalent laser weaponry. For an ISD specifically it's a difference of 15 space (75 laser-60 ion). We know from the early EU's extrapolations from the conversation between Ackbar and Calrissian at the battle of Endor that Capships normally stay at range and fire salvos at each other and don't close. So they'd be sitting at 70-75 space from each other, firing off barrages. It would make sense that ion barrages rarely come into play in normal capship engagements. This rule could also help explain how the Rebel fleet wrecked so much havoc at Endor. Mon Cal cruisers have a maneuverability of 2D.

If my players were making full reaction rolls against one of my ISD captains, depending on the captain's competency, I would simply have him move to a better distance between them. You can't get very far on a full reaction roll, so the ISD could easily close the distance between them to 14 space where the ISD's turbolasers have an easy to hit modifier and it is probably at max range, or out of range for your players' ion cannon.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you wouldn't (or shouldn't) be moving ANY distance when making a full dodge.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought of changing the cap for ionized results from MAN dice to HULL dice. That way the big, tough ships could soak a lot more ion hits before the controls freeze up.

Now, I'd also be happing with allow the MAN to drop into negative dice - so the ISD crew might not want to try and maneuver a mile long ship that's sparking with ion damage, but thats something else.

Or we could have ion damage take off moves rather than MAN dice. Each move lost coul up the maneuver difficulty, too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But whether you remove hull or moves, you still have the issue of what happens when they hit 0. Are they dead in space, if so and the ship (like the op mentioned) was in range of the gravity pull of a planetoid for long enough, it would crash and be destroyed.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops forgot to explain:

With a Hull cap, the ship can take a number of ionized resulted equal to it's Hull before being shut down from ionization. The ion dice penalties would affect maneuverability as normal, but allow the ship to go into negative maneuverability- representing non-responsive controls.

If ion results dropped moves, then a ship with 0 moves would be dead in space until it recovered at least 1 move.

IMO ion damage is too powerful and dangerous. Since most PCs will be flying around in a light freighter, and as most light freighters have fairly low maneuverability scores, one controls ionized result turns the PCs into sitting ducks.

Yeah, ion damage is a bit low, but sooner or later the NPCs will get a lucky hit, and knock out the PCs ship, and there is not much the players can really do about it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how long would it take to recover one of those lost moves?

What if it was just straight out shutdown (16+ damage overflow)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: