The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

XQ Platform series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> XQ Platform series Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real issue is this, does it move like a starship? No? Then is does not get space movement.

With that being said, I am sure that an explanation can be made that makes people happy. I am sure the platforms have some type of maneuvering ability, but to actually change their locations? Probably not so much. It is a platform after all. It was built in space at its location. It is not as though it was made somewhere else then tossed into and out of hyperspace at its location.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that cross-genre information. In DS 9 they moved the station to in front of the wormhole, but it was very taxing on the stations 'station keeping' engines.

As to a tractor beam needing mass behind it to be effective, I'd think it would be more along the lines of the pulling ship needing more thrust to keep its station vs the pull-ie as it uses its tractor on the pull-ie. After all, in the books engines get burnt out trying to resist a tractoring ship. Granted, a ship would need a lot of thrust to pull a platform but I think a Corvette could considering its engines are overpowered compared to the chassis. After all, its geared for speed compared to other ships of its class by the fluff...its a Blockade Runner.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
After all, in the books engines get burnt out trying to resist a tractoring ship.

Not just the books. In A New Hope, Han considers trying to use his engine thrust to fight the Death Star's tractor beam(s), but acknowledges it will just burn up the engines if he does so.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this on account of a private discussion with Sutehp re what my stats for an XQ Platform would be.

At the moment, rather than six separate stats for station types 1 through 6, I'm picturing a single stat with a list of modular options to fit the pertinent differences. The mods I'm considering are:
    Expanded Dorsal Module (adds Cargo Capacity, or can be kitted out for mission-specific roles)

Ventral Docking Tower (allows for external docking by medium and large Frigate-Scale vessels; smaller Frigate-Scale ships can dock with the main platform).

Weapon Upgrades (additional Turbolasers, defensive Warhead Launcher, and options to upgrade the Laser Cannon with Dual or Quad-Lasers, or with Auto-Blasters).

I'll also be giving it the same Station-Keeping Impellers I included on the Golan-Series Battlestations, but at Space 1/4 instead of 1/2.
I also have plans to do stats for the Space Dock stats featured in the HttE / Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook, but I will be posting those in the Revising Capital Ship Stats thread, as they already have existing stats.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: