The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

System Defense Monitor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> System Defense Monitor Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: System Defense Monitor Reply with quote

As part of the Capital Ship Roles in Naval Combat topic, I have theorized the existence of a System Defense Patrol fleet assigned to the Imperial Sector Group. This division of the sector fleet would be responsible for operating all of the Sector Group's non-hyperspace-capable patrol craft, as well as any orbital battlestations and combat space stations. Apart from space stations, the only official craft listed with System Patrol as its mission is the IPV 1 system patrol ship, which is roughly on par with a Corellian Corvette with no hyperdrive. Organizationally, there is a pretty large gap between the small, fast IPV1 and the larger, immobile battlestations, so I have theorized the existence of a System Defense Monitor, which would serve as an intermediate patrol vessel and also a heavy gun backup for the smaller, faster IPV1s.

The problem I have run into is that, when writing up a stat, I need some form of artwork to serve as a muse of sorts, and I am coming up blank. If any of you have ship art that might serve to jumpstart my creative impulses, I would appreciate some assistance.

What I have as a general description is this:
    -Roughly the same size as a frigate or light cruiser, in the 250-350 meter range.
    -Slower than the IPV1, but more heavily armored and shielded, as well as a relatively heavy armament for a ship of this size.
    -No small craft launch capability (IMO, TIE fighters on system defense duty would be launched from planetary bases or orbital space stations.
    -Good sensors, as well as good communications system, as the ship would likely serve as a flotilla command vessel for a group of IPVs in the absence of another command facility.
Any input or imagery suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much like the Pursuit-class Light Cruiser to me, even though it's not labeled as a monitor as such.

Saxton labels one unknown ship that I could also easily see as a corvette.

Outside of official canon Star wars, several of Brigade Model's merchant ships (the armed variety) have sort of a system defense vibe to me, having fairly large guns for their size, but the ships themselves seem fairly small though. They also make a System Patrol Monitor, though I'm not a huge fan of the proportions between its bridge and turret size.[/url]
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: System Defense Monitor Reply with quote

Corise Lucerne wrote:
Saxton labels one unknown ship that I could also easily see as a corvette.

Aside from the slight difference in the layout of the thrusters, I'd say that this resembles the Bayonet-class light cruiser.
I don't put much stock in things that are only derived from the comics, so it's close enough for me to consider them one and the same. It does, however, have a hyperdrive, so I'm not sure if it meets what Crmcneill is looking for.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that this ship is the Bayonet-class, as there are no official representations of the Bayonet-class that I know of (though I think Warlords did a pretty job of what they came up with).

I should probably note that I immediately though of the term monitor in its conventional meaning (big gun, small ship).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen homebrew images of the Bayonet that are very similar to the unknown ship, so I'm probably going to go with that (i.e. it being the Bayonet as opposed to my monitor concept)

I initially liked the look of the third suggestion, but when I realized that the ship was basically just a flat plate with two turrets on it, it lost a lot of its appeal.

Thanks for the input, though. And just to clarify, as Mikael mentioned, I am specifically looking for a ship without a hyperdrive.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corise Lucerne wrote:
I should probably note that I immediately though of the term monitor in its conventional meaning (big gun, small ship).

That was my thinking as well, with the monitor serving as big gun support for the system patrol ships, and the lack of a hyperdrive allowing the ship to sport more powerful shields and guns.

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably photoshop something up given a bit more detail or guidance on the basic layout of the vessel.

How would you feel about a ship with the rough hull shape of the Pursuit-class (but around 200ish meters), but with a pair of large turrets possibly set next to each other with each facing forward, or alternatively, with one turret set up in the bow, then some sort of superstructure, and then an aft turret, almost looking like a simplified and stunted real-world battleship, but in space?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking going three dimensional, with turrets on the bow and stern, but equally split between dorsal and ventral mounts, arranged linearly, so that all six turrets could be fired in a broadside. Lengthwise, 200-250 meters works for me.

I like the look of the squared off bow on the Pursuit-class, but would prefer the ship's hull to have a little more mass to it, maybe almost like the Guardian light cruiser, but with a tapering stern...

Something like this...

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will commence with the mix and mashup fiddling then, and hopefully have something posted today or tomorrow.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, what are the dimensions of a star destroyer's main bay? I ask because I recall mention somewhere that IPVs could be carried through hyperspace by a star destroyer, and it might be useful to do the same for the monitor. What would be the maximum possible length for the monitor to still fit in an ISD bay?

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think though what we need to figure out a few other things before we start tossing ship stats out. How much mass/volume does a particular class of hyperdrive take up for a given size of ship? Does a hyperdrive use power when a ship is not in hyperspace? Hyperdrives use some form of exotic matter to operate how much volume /mass does that no longer needed "fuel bunkerage" free up?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
I think though what we need to figure out a few other things before we start tossing ship stats out. How much mass/volume does a particular class of hyperdrive take up for a given size of ship? Does a hyperdrive use power when a ship is not in hyperspace? Hyperdrives use some form of exotic matter to operate how much volume /mass does that no longer needed "fuel bunkerage" free up?

I'm not overly concerned with the details. Coming up with specific physical requirements for a fictional drive that uses a fictional fuel will be purely conjecture, no matter how well thought out it is. I prefer to stick with movie magic hand waving and simply say, "this ship does this, never mind how."

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preliminary work...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. A little blockier than I was picturing. Both the Pursuit and the image I posted above tend more toward the "Imperial wedge" shape...

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closer to what you're thinking about? The hardest part for me right now will be finding wedge-like hulls that still have room for a rear turret.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: