The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Boarding Pod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Boarding Pod Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
wildfire wrote:
Magnetic grapples are a staple for this type of vessel, fire grapple attach and reel yourself in, for a soft docking.

Or just bypass the reels, and just have contact magnetic grapples that engage when the thing hits the hull

Good idea, not sure if you'd want it on a cheap pod but a small tractor beam could also be used to hold you in place?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
You should change it on Wookieepedia, then. After all, the only way to improve accuracy on wiki pages is for those of us that know something's wrong to amend them.

The problem being that, since a Wiki is editable by anyone with an account, any changes I make will last only so long as no one comes along and changes them. If it were possible to lock an entry in, I might be willing to make more of an effort. I'm even hesitant to post my own stats on the Holocron simply because I don't want people to make random changes without asking me.

Just as you're reluctant to change it, I think you'll find this is the attitude of most people (some for the same reasons, though most are probably just too lazy). The way I see it, these Wikis are a communal resource, and we're all responsible for keeping things up to date. They only take a second to correct, and by doing so one 'cleans things up' for all of us. My guess is that it is extremely unlikely (my guess would be a fraction far less than 1%) that someone would change it back if you made changes on something like this.

[shrug] My opinion on this is kind of like voting. If you don't want to - no problem at all. You simply give up any right to complain about how things are, if you choose not to participate in the solution. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think about it. However, I am back to work after being off for several weeks due to illness, so my recreational internet time has been greatly reduced.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I'm leaning more towards some form of repulsorlift or localized tractor field that absorbs the inertia of the incoming pod just enough to keep it from getting damaged. Still working on the rules for that, though...

I'm on a roll, so what the heck...

Why not use the "cover" rules again to handle some sort of shock absorber? Just give it a good hull rating to take the collision damage, and use the "blow through" to affect the pod. Note that while I use the term "shock absorber", it doesn't actually have to be a physical device, but instead could be some form of special purpose shield that takes the hit. You could even stack them with the hull dice if you wanted.

Since they work against physical impact they work be a form of particle shield, say an "interia shield" that only works against impacts, and all the shield dice are stacked forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: