The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TIE/sr / Lone Scout-A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> TIE/sr / Lone Scout-A Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: TIE/sr / Lone Scout-A Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been trying to learn more about the TIE/sr, or it's civilian version, the Lone Scout-A. This is a pretty well-known ship, given that it's featured in the 2nd ed. rulebook (2nd ed. 122-123, R&E p. 256, w/o picture), as well as in the GG8 - Scouts (p. 35).

I was just trying to quickly find an orthographic image to use in my Star Destroyer project, and I came across the image below, from a Hungarian-language website.

IMAGE: http://starwars.timba.biz/tervrajz/sfs/tie_lsa/LSA-2.gif

I have to say, this image disturbs me a little. It just looks waaay too long compared to width. Is this correct? Is it a false assumption of the artist (which I'm gathering he's doing) that the cockpit window is the same scale as that of a TIE-fighter? It certainly doesn't look like the image below, which is the Wookieepedia image:

Aside from the proportions, it doesn't look too bad, but should I use it for my developments?

Last edited by Mikael Hasselstein on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several characters who had lone scouts.. IMO the reason they are longer than they are wide is for all their consumables and bedding/rest stuff for the pilot.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have had several characters who had lone scouts.. IMO the reason they are longer than they are wide is for all their consumables and bedding/rest stuff for the pilot.

So, you're endorsing Parmandilion's ortho?

I agree with you that a year's worth of consumables for 4 people, as well as the facilities to house them, would make for a fairly large ship, but would it have these proportions? Might it actually be somewhat wider than the TIE fighter. It seems like Parmandilion's scale reference is the viewport - I just imposed a TIE-fighter ortho on it, scaled to the 40px/m of this image, and the sizes of the viewports match.

While that's not an outlandish assumption on Parmandilion's part to match up the viewport size, is it actually a good assumption to do so?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ortho you posted adds a little in height from the original. The Lone Scout originated from a front profile posted in the 2R&E Rulebook. This here:

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think the ortho you posted adds a little in height from the original. The Lone Scout originated from a front profile posted in the 2R&E Rulebook.

I just imposed the one on the other - the Hungarian image is quite faithful to the original.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wings look taller to me in the first image.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is the Sydon MRX-BR Pacifier, which was also an Imperial Scout, but much faster and better armed. Here is the Wookieepedia page and the D6 Holocron page.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the pacifier had better arms but its armor and shields were lacking (2d+2 hull, 2d shields iirc)
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The wings look taller to me in the first image.

Nope, they're the same size - maybe a pixel or so difference, but no more than that. Maybe the landing gear is throwing you off.

Regarding the Pacifier, that might be a solution. The thing that's puzzling me is number produced. The Wookiee reports that the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/sr_starfighterTIE/sr "was a limited production."

Does that mean that this is simply not the mass-production scout that the Imperial Navy has standard aboard its ISD's, or did they upgrade to the LSA-2, when these came into production.

Do you guys think it's actually the Pacifier which became the Navy's go-to scouting vessel?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Do you guys think it's actually the Pacifier which became the Navy's go-to scouting vessel?

It would certainly be my pick. The LoneScout is tougher, but a multi-role scout would not have combat as its primary mission. The Pacifier has better speed in both real space and hyperspace, better maneuverability, better sensors and its weapons loadout is better suited to holding off pursuit while making a run for safety. Plus, its description says nothing about it being a limited production run. Advantage: Pacifier.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In games i ran, Lone scouts were navy specific, while pacifiers were assigned to intelligence and compnor.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as it was a common card in the Premiere set of the SWCCG, I always thought of the TIE Scout as ubiquitous. But then I've yet to have any actual TIEs show up in my game yet.

Here is what they looked like for the card game.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In prepping for my game tonight, I got to reading up and looking into more info about the TIE Scout. They're actually in Galaxy Guide 8 (Scouts), but some of the info there is WAY different than what you find on Wookieepedia. Probably the biggest is the amount of cargo space. GG8 says 125 tons, while Wookieepedia says 25 tons. Lots of other discrepancies, too, about things like shields.

I found it statted up online in a few places, but the stats are all over the place, too. I ended up making up my own, compiling what I thought made sense from all the disparate sources.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TIE/sr / Lone Scout-A Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Okay, so I've been trying to learn more about the TIE/sr, or it's civilian version, the Lone Scout-A. This is a pretty well-known ship, given that it's featured in the 2nd ed. rulebook (2nd ed. 122-123, R&E p. 256, w/o picture), as well as in the GG8 - Scouts (p. 35).

I was just trying to quickly find an orthographic image to use in my Star Destroyer project, and I came across the image below, from a Hungarian-language website.

IMAGE: http://starwars.timba.biz/tervrajz/sfs/tie_lsa/LSA-2.gif

I have to say, this image disturbs me a little. It just looks waaay too long compared to width. Is this correct? Is it a false assumption of the artist (which I'm gathering he's doing) that the cockpit window is the same scale as that of a TIE-fighter? It certainly doesn't look like the image below, which is the Wookieepedia image:

Aside from the proportions, it doesn't look too bad, but should I use it for my developments?

Looking at it Logically, the Ortho should be correct, if we scale the width & height based on the TIE Cockpit, which suggests the Lone Scout-A is comparable to most other TIEs, about 7-8 meters wide by most sources.
IF instead we apply the 24 meter length to the 3d art made for the SWCCG/TCG & popularize & reused everywhere, then that would make the Lone Scout-A about 20 meters wide & around 18 meters tall, totally dwarfing the rest of the TIE line of starfighters. Further, in that scenario it doesn't have a cockpit; it has a small bridge.

It's been over 20 yrs since i played the SWCCG/TCG, but i still have my collection, a good chunk of which i got at Pharaoh's Finds... but had taken the image on the cards for granted & hadn't questioned it until now.
But in retrospect a Winnebago TIE makes more sense than the behemoth the 3d image suggests.
Landing an 8 meter by 24 meter ship can be tricky enough; imagine trying to find a parking spot for a 20 meter by 24 meter house...
"Oh noes! I landed on the Force Witch i was supposed to pick up!"
Another issue with the Lone Scout-A at ≈18m tall, small hangars are iffy at best, suicidal at worst.

As for how i might make use of the 3d image, i have two ideas: The Lone Behemoth is a monster TIE, probably commissioned by wealthy individuals for their private use, where Cargo Capacity, Passengers, Consumables, can be up to 8x what the Lone Scout-A has.
Made in far greater numbers, is the Lone Scout-B, only 12 meters long, 1/2x the Passengers, Cargo Capacity & Consumables the Lone Scout-A has. A minivan, not a Winnebago.

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a top view of the Lone Scout-A by stitching bits and pieces from an existing TIE fighter and TIE bomber tokens. I scaled it per the rules at 24 meters and it looked... not right at all. I rescaled it at 14 meters per CRMcNeill's suggestion, so you can see it here with a TIE fighter, TIE bomber, and YT-1300 for comparison at the link below:

https://imgur.com/a/PaYivGK

The cockpit of the Lone Scout-A at 24 meters is completely out of scale and all the other comments from this thread are true. At 14 meters, it all fall into place and looks reasonable.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:49 am; edited 8 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: