The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dodge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dodge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Dodge Reply with quote

am i right on the following Example:
Dodge = 6D
Blaster = 5D

I shoot someone on my round and i roll 5D

I get shot at on the Storm troop round, the first tries to hit me
i roll Dodge 5D (first extra action)

I get shot at again
I roll Dodge 4D

and again
I roll dodge 3D

---------------------

So, upon reading the book, you can declare that you will dodge during the enemies turn, or you can do it later (forget the term) when they actually shoot you. so my question is, why would you ever declare that you will dodge, as it will take off from ALL your rolls as per the previous example:

I am going to shoot once and dodge 3 times, so thats 4 actions, -3 to all my rolls

Shoot 2D

Dodge 3D
Dodge 3D
Dodge 3D

is that right, or where did i go wrong?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, only one dodge roll is needed for the whole round. But I then enforce that if my players roll dodge (regular not full), that becomes the new target number to hit. Not which ever might be higher (their roll or range and cover).
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Dodge = 6D
Blaster = 5D

I get shot at again
I roll Dodge 4D

and again
I roll dodge 3D

That's how it worked in First Edition (pg.14.) It even tells you that you don't have to declare Dodges so you don't cheat yourself. Personally, I like it that way better than Rev and Exp.

Quote:
Is that right, or where did i go wrong?

In Rev and Exp, you only roll Dodge once, and use that result until the end of the round (pg. 79.) But you're right in that you should never declare Dodges.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dodge = 6D
Blaster = 5D

Yup. Well, if you only declaired 1 shot.

Quote:
I get shot at again
I roll Dodge 4D

and again
I roll dodge 3D

Nope, the one dodge roll lasts the entire round, regardless of who's shooting you. BUT i do know some who make you reroll dodge for each different type of ranged attack (eg missile, grenade, blaster)..

Quote:
so my question is, why would you ever declare that you will dodge, as it will take off from ALL your rolls as per the previous example:

Some peopel like to declair it, to avoid any mistakes later on (like forgetting to do a reactive dodge)...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thread going a long while ago. My opinion is that you should indeed declare your dodges in most cases. You don't necessarily have to declare that you will shoot once and dodge once, but you should declare two actions and take the -1D penalty on both. My reasoning is that you can't actually dodge a bullet, you're not so fast as to see it coming and dodge accordingly, so you're not dodging that particular bullet/blast you're simply engaging "dodgy" mode. That means that while you're firing, you're also moving around to make yourself a harder target. That's dodging, but it'll also surely hamper your own shot somehow. Also, that "dodgy" mode also explains why you only roll one dodge per round.

Of course, that's only describing the standard firefight dodge. There are occasions where a dodge will be a direct reaction to an incoming attack, such as a grenade landing on your lap or a missile "slowly" making its way toward you.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that explanation Gry. My players and I have been discussing this as well, and I think we'll run it by the book with no arguments after hearing you reasoning.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always happy to put the bickering to rest. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up for our new folk for a specific part of this (mentioned in my first reply for this thread)..

When characters (whether player or npc) dodge, is it applicable IYC to all ranged attacks, or a specific type (energy, grenade, thrown weapons, etc)?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read 2nd R&E (pg. 90) to mean you one dodge action applies to ALL ranged attacks over the entire round:

When using a reaction skill, the character makes the skill roll. (Don't forget to add penalties for multiple actions.) The roll is the attacker's new difficulty number. (This difficulty number is in effect for all attacks of that type made against the character for the rest of the round.)

So in Vong's example at the top, your Dodge roll of 5D would apply to all 3 Stormtrooper shots.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gry Sarth's explanation.

My players have usually been very "honest" and will usually declare that they're going to do a dodge (when they know they will), even if they could have had the first shot without the penalty.

IMV, it's sort of 'gaming the system' to take advantage of the way rounds are broken down to take your first action at no penalty (when you know full well that you're going to dodge later on).

I'd never noticed before that it says "all attacks of that type" (it is even in italics) in the rules before. Based on that, I'd make them roll a new Dodge if somehow a second attack type came in (say, they're dodging blaster fire and suddenly a missile is headed towards them).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which might be why so many people hate me since i use fire arms, missile weapons (magna caster and wrist vac launcher) blasters, grenades... Get you for 3+ dodges in one round!
bigjawhite
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: 1st edition: Dodges declared or not? Reply with quote

PG 14 Dodges:

"Dodges are reaction skills; you don't have to declare dodges at the beginning of each combat round. . . "

but RAW go on to state:

"You must decide whether or not you're dodging before the attacker makes his skill roll."

This seems like a contradiction to me. Maybe I'm just used to D&D type initiative combat.

Am I not fully understanding the declaration stage?
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the reason they want you to declare before the roll is so you don't do the 'well, at this range my defense is a 13...I'm gonna see if he hits before I decide if I want to dodge or not'.

They're trying to cut down on the meta of it...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
I believe that the reason they want you to declare before the roll is so you don't do the 'well, at this range my defense is a 13...I'm gonna see if he hits before I decide if I want to dodge or not'.

They're trying to cut down on the meta of it...

Agreed. You either take the range diff OR the dodge. Not a 'lets wait to see if he his, then i declare a dodge roll..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1st edition: Dodges declared or not? Reply with quote

bigjawhite wrote:
1st edition: Dodges declared or not

PG 14 Dodges:

"Dodges are reaction skills; you don't have to declare dodges at the beginning of each combat round. . . "

but RAW go on to state:

"You must decide whether or not you're dodging before the attacker makes his skill roll."

This seems like a contradiction to me. Maybe I'm just used to D&D type initiative combat.

Am I not fully understanding the declaration stage?

Are you asking about the rules in 1st edition?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: