The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Question about controls ionized in space combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Question about controls ionized in space combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The first "Hit" shuts it down for d6 combat rounds, regardless of how many times you roll it for THAT damage resolution bit. But each additional hit that scores that system for damage adds 1D more (so say your nav comp got hit, next round it gets hit again, you are rolling 2d this time for added time it's down.

This is a neat 'house' that I might adopt for myself, however I have a few questions if I may?

Do you have a circumstance for the "dead controls"? As eventually, in my mind, the systems just wouldn't be able to take the strain (or the particular system) and would eventually give out resulting in the need to replace the system or perform an ION scrub/purge. Unless of course the rounds off line assume that the personnel (or astromech) are performing that scrub, though the wording would indicate not for your set of rules.

Second question: How would this function on Capital Ships, like say the classic ISD; specifically due to the number of weapon systems? I would imaging that it would take out clusters rather than the whole weapon type in your system right? Perhaps the Arc (IE 20 left, 20 right, ...) or some divisor there of like groups of 5 or 4? This is of course assuming Capital scale ION blasts.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a simplified version I made for my games, playtested it once only so far.

Ion cannons are designed to interfere with a ship's electrical and computer systems, but not cause physical damage. Shields cannot protect a ship from ion cannon damage.

If the damage roll is lower than the ships hull code roll, it takes no damage. If the damage roll is equal to or higher than the hull code roll, find the results below.

0-3 ....... 1 Controls Ionized *
4-8 ....... 2 Controls Ionized *
9-12 ..... 3 Controls Ionized *
13-15 ... 4 Controls Ionized *
16+ ..... Controls Dead **

* Controls Ionized: system(s) affected for the rest of the combat encounter or until such time as systems can be rebooted (requiring 1D minutes). Multiple hits on the same system are cumulative. The starships body strength stays at its full die code.

** Controls Dead: emergency power only, all systems dead or unresponsive. Systems can be rebooted in 2D minutes.

For every controls ionized, roll and compare on the table below. If a system is no longer operable (sustained a number of ion hits reducing it to 0D) roll 1D and move up or down 1 line on the table (1-3: up, 4-6 down).

2-3 ....... Hyperdrives (controls ionized for rest of turn and next; +10 Modifier to Astrogation roll until end of combat encounter or system rebooted, previous hyperspace calculations will be lost.)
4-5 ....... Sublight Drive (-1 Move, -1D Maneuverability)
6-8 ....... Shields (-1D Shield)
9-10 ..... Weaponry (-1D fire control/damage)
11-12 ... Communications/Sensors (-1D)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Some systems would be ok for that, such as maneuvering/sensors/shields and weapons, as they have a D value associated with them. But what of the other systems which don't? Such as life support, comms, computers etc?

Considering that the controls will also have electrical arcs playing across them, it also seems reasonable that a character could easily get zapped and end up with some damage (and that "plugged in" look for a new hairdo) trying to mess with their ship controls.

True.. You watch most sci-fi shows, and when ships are taking damage, we see consoles and such all blowing up/arcing like crazy.. So perhaps when ships take damage, those in it should be soaking small amounts. Say a light damage/shields blown is 2-3d. All the way up to 6-7d for critical damage (just before being destroyed)..

Quote:
Do you have a circumstance for the "dead controls"? As eventually, in my mind, the systems just wouldn't be able to take the strain (or the particular system) and would eventually give out resulting in the need to replace the system or perform an ION scrub/purge. Unless of course the rounds off line assume that the personnel (or astromech) are performing that scrub, though the wording would indicate not for your set of rules.

What do yo mean circumstances for the dead controls? Are you on about repair roll info? YEs. Each repair roll by the RAW takes 2 rounds to do (then 2 min, 2 hrs and so on for those that failed and are retried). So once someone starts to repair the 'shut down system', at the end of the 2nd round of their repairs, they make a repair roll heroic+10), and if successful they halve the remaining time.

IE hyperdrives have been hit repeatedly giving them 29 rounds of being shutdown due to some outstanding hits by the enemy's ion cannons. The pc technician and his co-worker are in engineering trying to get them back online (though it took 3 rounds to get from the gun turrets they were in to engineering. So now its at round 26 when they start repairs.
Round 24 remaining, they make the roll (and if succeed, they halve the time to 12 rounds remaining).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about controls ionized in space combat Reply with quote

Necro of the day...

garhkal wrote:
The gist is that rather than having it be as normal where if you get a ship killed result (16+) its dead in the water, and each 'system affected' result prior to that reduces the maneuverability by 1d, you have to chart out how many systems your ship has.
Each bracket of 4 damage over soak an ion cannon gets, shuts off one system (rolled randomly) of those charted. The first "Hit" shuts it down for d6 combat rounds, regardless of how many times you roll it for THAT damage resolution bit. But each additional hit that scores that system for damage adds 1D more (so say your nav comp got hit, next round it gets hit again, you are rolling 2d this time for added time it's down.

A standard fighter (lets take an Xwing for instance) has the following systems (11 systems total, roll 2d6-1 to see which system affected)
Main power (1)
Life support (2)
Shields (3)
Maneuvering thrusters (4)
Ion drive (sublight) (5)
Droid interface (6)
Main computer (includes comms) (7)
Repulsor lift (8)
Weapon 1 Lasers (9)
Weapon 2 Torpedo launcher (10)
Hyperdrive (11)

Where as say a YT-1300 freighter has
Main power (1)
Life support (2)
Shields (3)
Maneuvering thrusters (4)
Ion drive (sublight) (5)
Hyperdrive (6)
Nav computer (7)
Main computer (includes comms) (8)
Repulsor lift (9)
Weapon 1 Ion cannons (10)
Sensors (11)
B/u Hyperdrive (12)
For a D12 roll to see which system

Lets say (using the above freighter as an example) in round 3 of combat it is hit by an Ion cannon from a Y-wing (pirate ship), and soak sucks giving 9 damage over soak. 9 damage over equates to 3 systems affected (and yes the same system can be affected more than once in the same damage resolution), which when you roll the d12 gets a 11 (sensors just got done for d6 or 3 rounds), 2 (life support for 4 rounds) and say 7 (nav comp) for 2 rounds.
Later in round 5 another ion damage result gets through and affects life support again adding this time 9 more rounds (11 total now as 2 have passed since it was hit)..

garhkal, this is an interesting and in-depth rule. I like how you included so many ship systems that normally get left out of the possibility of even getting damaged. Thanks.

PS - The only thing I don't like is the inclusion of an evil 'polyhedral' die. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Question about controls ionized in space combat Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Tinman wrote:

Your information is accurate, but I'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting I've missed in answering the above question. Are you arguing that ships with larger hull codes don't take more than minimal ion armament to stand a good chance of disabling via ionization? I'm confused.

To some extent yes. In part because with multiple shots the likelihood of beating the hull code goes up.

Maneuverability Code is probably more important than Hull Code as far as ion weapons go. Since most ships with high Hull Codes tend to have low Maneuverability Codes, one lucky shot can end up completely disabling a ship for a couple of rounds.

And that means the ionized ship can't dodge, so a single gunner can just hose the ship down with ion fire and let the laws of probability work for him.

That can be catastrophic for groups that fly around in light freighters - like most PCs. One lucky ion shot and the PCs ship is helpless for at least two rounds.

Our group has been considering ditching the completely ionized rule and just stacking up the dice penalties to give those in ionized ships an chance to do something.

As far as I know you can shoot a starship a million times with an ION attack, without any form of HULL penetration.
As the ION charge is mostly for breaching shileds and nothing more.
this is also why they are so extrmemly dangrous in conjunction with other weapons, we even see this.

as to the impacted systems, I would say that having some form of hit location table could solve this.
basically enough ION damage and a system shuts down, letshope this is not the main life support etc.

to be honest I would argue that ion attacks on a starship works as ion attacks against a droid, the only difference I can see is the sizes of the objects involved.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Question about controls ionized in space combat Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
ion attacks on a starship works as ion attacks against a droid, the only difference I can see is the sizes of the objects involved.

Or you could say, the scale of the objects involved.

Mamatried wrote:
to be honest I would argue that ion attacks on a starship works as ion attacks against a droid

In other words, affect the whole starship like an ion gun effects the whole droid?

In CRMcNeill's starship damage system, ion damage affects Maneuverability, Weapons, Sensors, Shields, Astrogation, and more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: