The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightwhips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightwhips Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, in how we have different ways of approaching the 'range' of difficulties (mind you, I don't think anybody is doing it "right" or "wrong"; I think it's all personal preference).

The way I do the ranges is thus:

Early in the campaign, all of the difficulties tend to be the low end. So if it's 1-5, everyone needs to hit a "1" (both good guys and bad guys). Then, when we've been playing a bit (like in our current campaign, where we're a year and a half in), I move things up by one. So now all characters (good and bad) need to hit a "2" (again, from my example of 1-5). Later on, as the PCs become more competent, I'll bump it up again, so they'll have to reach a "3", and so on. That way, by the end of the campaign, as the characters are near dieties (well, not really, but they should be pretty darn competent), they'll be having to hit a "5".

In doing this, I'm treating the game somewhat like a video game, where things are easier on the lower levels (at the start) and ramp up in difficulty as the character gains skills and the player 'gets' the controls and system.

As I think about it, I almost wonder if I should switch to more of an evaluation based on circustances (as SWR suggested). I do know that the way I'm doing it now makes things hum along very speedily, as everyone at the table knows what they're shooting for with their roll (with most things). Thus, if a PC is wielding a Sith Lightwhip, they can look at "Difficult" and know exactly the number they'd need to weild it without hurting themselves (in our game right now, it would be a "12").
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12? That falls into the Moderate range band. Difficult is 16-20. Hopefully you meant 17. I also using the sliding ranges for my games loosely based on character competence as well.

As you pointed out, no one is doing it wrong. Its just each GM's interpretation.

Set numbers, especially for certain actions, makes complete sense if you want to make things quick. The problem is you give up some control as a GM to move your scenes by using sliding values. This is something I do sometimes to move the story along a certain line.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I have always defaulted at the high end of the difficulty range unless a specific number is given. GM's have the option of picking a number at random, of course. That being said, I have never seen a weapon stat that mandated an exact number instead of a more general difficulty level. To avoid excess confusion, I suggest dropping the 18 and let everyone pick their own number.

P.S. Why do you feel a light-whip should be essentially the same difficulty rating as a lightsaber? With the flexible nature of the weapon combined with the lightsaber's ability to cut effortlessly, I would think it more difficult to wield, like Very Difficult.

Also, I noticed on your revised stat you removed any mention of parrying limitations for a whip. I'm curious why you went from a blanket prohibition of parrying with a whip to no mention of it at all.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[crmcneill] If I made it Very Hard it would not be a practical weapon at all except for highly trained persons. At that point, why wouldn't they just learn Lightsaber and have weapon that can cut through ship hulls? It came down to what was best to make it mechanically work with the spirit of the game and what had already been done. I was not trying to capture realism with it.

I removed the parrying limitations because it seemed to fit the the feeling of Star Wars. I justified it by thinking of the user not using the whip so much to strike away a blow, but as a cinematic, Jackie Chan kind of thing.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
If I made it Very Hard it would not be a practical weapon at all except for highly trained persons. At that point, why wouldn't they just learn Lightsaber and have a weapon that can cut through ship hulls?

If it were me, it would be because of the other cool options, like the whip tricks and other possibilities I have mentioned previously.

Quote:
It came down to what was best to make it mechanically work with the spirit of the game and what had already been done. I was not trying to capture realism with it.

You weren't? I thought that was the reason for your stats: the fact that you have practical experience whips. Personally, I prefer a stat that provides a good balance of realism and cinematic feel.

Quote:
I removed the parrying limitations because it seemed to fit the the feeling of Star Wars. I justified it by thinking of the user not using the whip so much to strike away a blow, but as a cinematic, Jackie Chan kind of thing.

But based on your statement above, you have removed all the negatives involved in using a whip. It is essentially a lightsaber with a 5 meter range, bonuses to trip and entangle, and no real penalties. Based on these stats, why would anyone bother with a lightsaber when a light whip can do all that a lightsaber can and more without any appreciable increase in difficulty? A balanced weapon stat needs to have some weaknesses.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would think the inability to use a lightwhip to cut through anything as a HUGE limitation. Your not going to use a lightwhip to cut through a door or anything of that nature.

A lightsaber has MANY uses beyond just as a weapon. A lightwhip? Not so many. I think the mechanics pretty much make them equal at least.

You asked me why I had removed the limitations for parrying in the revised write-up. My response was, "because I was not going for realism" what it should have said was, "because I am not long trying to emulate real work mechanics, but a more Star Wars pulp feel".
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well I would think the inability to use a lightwhip to cut through anything as a HUGE limitation. Your not going to use a lightwhip to cut through a door or anything of that nature.

A lightsaber has MANY uses beyond just as a weapon. A lightwhip? Not so many. I think the mechanics pretty much make them equal at least.

The key point here is that your weapon stat does not make those distinctions. According to your stat, a lightwhip inflicts 5D damage (just like a Lightsaber) and uses Lightsaber Combat to augment the damage inflicted. Based solely on your stat, the Lightwhip is just a Lightsaber with some fancy moves. There is nothing in your stat to suggest that a Lightwhip can't cut through anything, and since it is a lightweapon, it is a logical assumption to make, especially when based on the post-Lumiya depictions of lightwhips.

Quote:
You asked me why I had removed the limitations for parrying in the revised write-up. My response was, "because I was not going for realism" what it should have said was, "because I am not long trying to emulate real work mechanics, but a more Star Wars pulp feel".

Why the switch? With your original stats, it seemed like real world mechanics was the primary factor. I don't see why you can't have both.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
SW2E R&E p.89 "Melee Combat" states, "Every melee weapon has a difficulty to use ... (Pick a specific difficulty number for the attack)." In the two melee combat examples provided: "The vibroblade has a Moderate difficulty to use; the gamemaster picks a difficulty number of 14" and "The brawling difficulty is Very Easy; the gamemaster picks a difficulty number of 5."

It can be inferred that the harder the difficulty the lower it drops in difficulty range. In the above examples a Veay Easy [1-5] was given a 5, whereas the Moderate [11-15] was given a 14.

So the difficulty number is arbitrarily picked by the GM. I certainly understand wanting to streamline things, especially in the case of melee weapons, and deciding to go with the max difficulty number. My GMing style is is to pick the middle of the range and adjust depending on the situation.

Maybe its cause every DM i have played under had it set at 20.. so i thought that was how it was supposed to be for lightsabers..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[garhkal] Its all good my friend. You are not doing it wrong. I just prefer to have some additional latitude when giving out DN's so I can better move my story along.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
12? That falls into the Moderate range band. Difficult is 16-20. Hopefully you meant 17. I also using the sliding ranges for my games loosely based on character competence as well.

As you pointed out, no one is doing it wrong. Its just each GM's interpretation.

Set numbers, especially for certain actions, makes complete sense if you want to make things quick. The problem is you give up some control as a GM to move your scenes by using sliding values. This is something I do sometimes to move the story along a certain line.

Whoops! Yes, then 17. I didn't recall what Difficulty was being discussed, and merely scrolled down and picked the first one I saw. Embarassed
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looking through this thread, I can understand that it's more difficult to parry a lightsaber blade with a lightwhip. I can understand that the lightwhip allows one to attack from a greater range than a lightwhip. I can understand that the lightwhip tassel is weaker than a lightsaber - causing less damage and not being able to cut through things as easily as a lightsaber, but it allows you to ensnare and trip an opponent.

But there are two things that remains unclear. First: a Jedi can deflect and even redirect a blaster shot with a lightsaber. Can this be done with a lightwhip? To my understanding, the answer is no. You can't deflect a blaster shot with a lightwhip, never mind redirecting it.

I also get the feeling that lightsaber combat won't really work with a lightwhip. Being able to control a lightwhip, you need to use Control, Sense, and Alter. Control to control your own body movements. Sense to sense the intentions of your opponent. And Alter to move the tassel correctly so you can block a lightsaber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through to refresh my memory, I disagree that a lightwhip can't deflect blaster bolts. It's just more difficult, as the flexible body of the whip is more challenging to properly position in the path of the bolt.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents is that the lightwhip deals less cutting damage, after all it is a flexible blade compared to the regular lightsaber.

I can not imagine somone cutting through a blast door like obi wan and qui gon in phantom menace using a lightwhip.

I would however give the while the nomal entangle abilities common to any whip.

as to use the whip to block, I would allow this only on max reach, again becuse of the flexible blade.

Difficulty wise I would rate it higher than a normal lightsaber or a lightsaber "spacialization" to counter this difficulty rise.

As to blocking and only at max reach this is done with a -2D again due to the flexibility and thus no actual blade control.

as to ranges I go with the highest numbers, allowing any pip in skill/attibute to reduce this acodingly. +2pip makes difficulty 20 ino difficulty 18.
further more a 6 on the wild dice reduces the difficulty by 1 and these reductions stack .
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the damage the same for reasons. The Lightwhip is still using a high energy blade like a lightsaber, and for this reason contact with it should be just as dangerous. I would disallow long term damage unless an object is entangled - so it would not be able to be used to cut through doors as a lightsaber could.

I would give the Lightwhip a higher base difficulty than a Lightsaber as it would be harder to control and require more precision. A declared entangle attack I would even bump this up by one more difficulty.

On parrying blaster bolts, I see no issues. The whip could be twirled in front of the Jedi creating almost a shield of sorts. I see no issues with a Jedi using the force being able to do this and deflect and redirect blaster bolts. Given the nature of the force, I am further more than willing to suspend trying to apply over-realism to this.

Now, Lightchaku, well that's a whole other issue all together...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
My two cents is that the lightwhip deals less cutting damage, after all it is a flexible blade compared to the regular lightsaber.

I can not imagine somone cutting through a blast door like obi wan and qui gon in phantom menace using a lightwhip.

I would however give the while the nomal entangle abilities common to any whip.

Did you ever see AVP 2 requiem? IMO how that Uber predator chieftain had his funky whip work, where it DID cut apart xenos, is how i'd possibly see a light whip cutting people..

Quote:
On parrying blaster bolts, I see no issues. The whip could be twirled in front of the Jedi creating almost a shield of sorts. I see no issues with a Jedi using the force being able to do this and deflect and redirect blaster bolts. Given the nature of the force, I am further more than willing to suspend trying to apply over-realism to this.

Blocking maybe. Redirecting? IMO NO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: