The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

House Rules: Grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> House Rules: Grenades Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: House Rules: Grenades Reply with quote

Hello all, I just wanted to share a few house rules I am considering. I use Star Wars d6 1st Edition (pre-Rules Upgrade), for reference.

Grenades
I'm not sure I am happy the way grenades work right now, specifically that you can miss and the grenade will scatter right back to your feet (or even behind you). I am considering the following change:

1) Roll Grenade skill against target point on the ground (for instance, a long range throw at 35 meters would have a difficulty number of 20). If you miss, the grenade scatters a distance in meters equal to the amount you failed the roll by. This way, the scatter distance is on a curve, related to the relative failure of the roll.

2) A missed grenade will scatter in a random direction. Place a clock over the intended location, with the 1 o'clock pointing towards the thrower. Roll 2d6 to determine the angle of scatter (i.e. a 8 would scatter in the direction of 8 o'clock). This allows for more directions of scatter, yet still weighs more heavily towards a simple overshot (the average roll on 2d6 is 7).

3) When a grenade attack is declared and aimed, but before the attack is rolled, nearby targets can declare a Dodge reaction to dive out of the way. Roll the attack to see if the grenade lands on target. Then, roll the Dodge reactions, adding the Dodge skill roll to the difficulty number. If this exceeds the attack roll, the target may immediately move a number of meters in any direction equal to the difference in the rolls and then must become prone. This way, characters can dive a distance away but if the grenade misses the ground, it may still scatter in their direction.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty much what I do, except I roll 1D, and use a 3-dimensional scatter pattern:

1: low
2: left
3: near
4: far
5: right
6: high

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking for awhile that grenades are too easy to avoid. Somebody could chuck four grenadesbe inside a turbolift and everybody inside could be just fine if they make a good dodge roll. In fact, if somebody threw 4 grenades it7s highly likey that everybody would beat the attack roll and be okay.

What I think the grenades rule need is some note for cover [that is you have to either have something to dodge behind,] or else be able to move out of the blast radius. Maybe characters coyld move 1m per point rolled on the dodge roll. That way people would actually duck for cover or run away from the grenade rather than just stand there and pretty much ignore it with a good dodge roll.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule is that you can't dodge more meters than you have D in your Dexterity score.

For example: A bounty hunter has 4D Dex and a thermal detonator drops at his feet. He succeeds his dodge role, but can only dodge 4 meters. He does not make it out of the blast.
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr, I like that one too!
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
My rule is that you can't dodge more meters than you have D in your Dexterity score.

I like it too. It could be somehow related with dodge success. Simple solution like: "+1m for 5 points of success" would work. Unfortunately it's not related to Move value, but I don't see a simple way to do this. Maybe limiting max dodge distance to value of Move?

My original HR was that success in dodge allowed to move one blast-zone away (+1 zone for 5 points of success), but it was far from perfect.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I have been thinking for awhile that grenades are too easy to avoid. Somebody could chuck four grenadesbe inside a turbolift and everybody inside could be just fine if they make a good dodge roll. In fact, if somebody threw 4 grenades it7s highly likey that everybody would beat the attack roll and be okay.

What I think the grenades rule need is some note for cover [that is you have to either have something to dodge behind,] or else be able to move out of the blast radius. Maybe characters coyld move 1m per point rolled on the dodge roll. That way people would actually duck for cover or run away from the grenade rather than just stand there and pretty much ignore it with a good dodge roll.

Agreed. At least in Sparks we made a compromise. Aerodynamic low damage grenades (6d and less) are as wrote, but those which are NOT aerodynamic or of higher damage value, a successful dodge just knocks you down 2 blast zones.. Which for some explosives can mean a good 10m or so.

Quote:
For example: A bounty hunter has 4D Dex and a thermal detonator drops at his feet. He succeeds his dodge role, but can only dodge 4 meters. He does not make it out of the blast.

So effectively just dropping you down 1 blast category.

But this is why most of those i see toss grenades set it for IMPACT and fastball it INTO someone.. less of a chance of them dodging out!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great ideas here.

I don't know off the top of my head (and don't have my books with me): does 1E have a Grenade Scatter Chart like 2E R&E?
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is identical. Missed grenades scatter 3d6 meters in a direction according to the scatter diagram: 1 past the target, 2 to the back right, 3 to the right, 4 towards the thrower, five towards the left and 6 towards the back left.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the turbolift example: I would rule that since there is nowhere to dodge TO, that there can be no dodge in that situation. That is what grenades are for, after all.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
To the turbolift example: I would rule that since there is nowhere to dodge TO, that there can be no dodge in that situation. That is what grenades are for, after all.

I agree. I am paranoid of confined combat spaces for that reason.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

I have seen some gm's who say all pc's should be able to dodge, even in situations like that. BUT this is one of those situations i would give the choice to the players.
If they wish to get a dodge in that sort of situation, then so too will NPCs/enemies get it. if they don't want the enemy to get them, then the pc's don't get them.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

I have seen some gm's who say all pc's should be able to dodge, even in situations like that. BUT this is one of those situations i would give the choice to the players.
If they wish to get a dodge in that sort of situation, then so too will NPCs/enemies get it. if they don't want the enemy to get them, then the pc's don't get them.
I'd let 'em do that, but I'd make 'em roll dodge against the combined attack of 15,000 fragments of said grenade, with a modifier for being unable to predict exactly where those fragments would go....

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically (which often has little to do with the Star Wars Universe)....

Grenades typically have a 4 second fuse before they explode, so most of the time, even in a lift, people would have a second or two to act. This might give them time to get out of the lift, assuming the door isn't blocked, and that everybody doesn't get in each other's way. Grenades in a confined space, especially multiple grenades is very, very nasty.

In the RPG you don't really dodge the grenade. It not getting hit by the grenade that does the damage, but being in the area of effect when it goes off. So dodging should represent a character either moving out of the area of effect, or behind some cover. But the game mechanic is pretty much "save for no damage". That is if a character makes his Dodge roll, he is okay, and can pretty much ignore the grenade, even though he should be preoccupied with dodging.

I kinda like the 1m per 5 rolled for a dodge roll, and making the character actually use an action to dodge. I can also see somebody doing a full dodge to move further. Generally speaking if you know it is coming and have the right terrain to move, you can do so. Of course real world grenades have a bigger area of effect that Star Wars grenades, but that's a minor point.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line between movement and dodging can become blurred a little when it comes to grenades, methinks.

Most good soldiers would cook a grenade a little before throwing into a turbolift, for example, to cut down escape time. Depending on the situation, the people in the turbolift may not even have time to react.

As a GM I would NOT do this to my PCs... unless they put themselves in the wrong position Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: