The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Dune Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Dune Reply with quote

I have been rather bored at work the last couple days and have been putting together an area of space I'm calling "The Sterbreh Cluster" which is based of the dune universe. The area is surrounded by a gas cloud preventing any travel into or out of with out the use of the spacing guilds "shield ships" The plot will be that the Empire found the location and sent in spies to learn more about the area and try and gain control of the sector. The PC's will be a group of Rebels sent after them to try and stop this from happening. Still working on a sector map and equipment details.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, Kirkler. Keep us posted on how it goes! Smile
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Had pondered something like this previously. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've been working on stat blocks for various factions and Tech, while making the Dune Universe more like star wars. For example the Spice actually enhances exisiting force abilities or in someone with out talent but force sensitive it gives them the ability to use the force. I've also been working on how to introduce the sector to PC's and why no ones really been there before. Progress is slow so far but every day I add new stuff.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Sounds good! Keep us posted as things develop. 8)

...One possibility I had pondered was to modify the Witches of Dathomir for the Bene Gesserit abilities. Another was to modify Hyperspace into space folding: use the listed hours/days time for a multiplier into the amount of time the Guild Navigator needs to consume spice for the needed energy & meditate on the exact coordinates.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those idea's I will add them to my list.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkler wrote:
So far I've been working on stat blocks for various factions and Tech, while making the Dune Universe more like star wars. For example the Spice actually enhances exisiting force abilities or in someone with out talent but force sensitive it gives them the ability to use the force. I've also been working on how to introduce the sector to PC's and why no ones really been there before. Progress is slow so far but every day I add new stuff.

Don't forget that spice is lethally addictive. Once a person takes it, they have to have a regular supply for as long as they live...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Reply with quote

I watched the new Dune: Part One on HBO Max. It's a great start to the story, so I really hope they make Part Two to finish the novel.

5 Biggest Similarities Between Denis Villeneuve's Dune movie And Star Wars: A New Hope
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Kirkler wrote:

Don't forget that spice is lethally addictive. Once a person takes it, they have to have a regular supply for as long as they live...

What happens to those who don't get their fix?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What happens to those who don't get their fix?

I don't know if it's ever specified, but it is explicitly stated by Paul in the first book that the spice is essentially a poison so subtle that it will only kill you if you stop taking it.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in game rules would that have, re not getting your fix?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well, without knowing any specifics, probably requiring a Strength roll against an ever-increasing Difficulty, with failure resolved on the Injury Table, up until the point the character dies or gets another dose of spice (which resets the Difficulty clock to zero).

Another advantage mentioned is that exposure to spice increases the recipient's lifespan, possibly by a factor of four (implied by a quote saying that lack of spice decreases the lifespan of the "very rich" by a factor of four).

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike my brother, I've never been a huge fan of Dune.

But I thought the movie was outstanding and very well done. I greatly enjoyed it! Cool
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

There isn't anything about withdrawal, or even negative effects of long-term exposure. The Emperor has an unnaturally long life span, and one of the things Paul uses as leverage is the ability to halt spice production. Space travel will grind to a halt, and it's clear the people who depend on it will die. Even while on the planet a relatively short period of time, Paul realizes he can never leave due to his interaction with the spice, but he is likely unique in that respect.

If I were to do it in-game, I'd think about whether the character was using spice for it's psychoactive purposes, heightening their senses. If they were a Force user, I'd say that coming down from the addiction would be worse. As their heightened awareness loses its boost from the spice, I'd start off by having them lose control of the far-seeing. I.E., they would see paths and probabilities unfolding, without the ability to focus, with moments of clarity and blind spots in the future, without being able to determine which was most likely. (Kind of a reversal of Paul's unfocused awakening before he gains more control.) As the withdraw continues, they'd loose the ability to use the boosted farseeing.

Whill wrote:
I watched the new Dune: Part One on HBO Max. It's a great start to the story, so I really hope they make Part Two to finish the novel.

I thought the film was a fabulous adaptation of the work. It had a fantastic score, excellent sound design (even if I was hearing it at the drive-in's FM radio). The director was heavily relying on "show, don't tell" for Paul's emotional connection to Idaho and Leto, something that I think Herbert struggled with. The film made really judicious cuts of the source material. Cuts had to be made, and some Dune aficionados dislike minimizing the Guild, and the banquet scene (for some reason). But with a sprawling, conceptual, character-driven work, you've got to make cuts. I think the director made all the rights cuts for a film of this length.

Down sides, sometimes the cuts involved Jessica's training of Paul, and the film struggled with who was the driving focus of the scene, and which of the two was going to exercise agency to get them out of trouble. As a result, sometimes Jessica waivered between seemingly helpless, and a a near-superhero. Also, they didn't really have their Checkov's gun that Jessica was every bit the fighter that anyone else was. The first time we saw her fight was when she bested Stilgar, which could have been seeded. Granted, these are pretty minor gripes.

I could be sore that they didn't spend much time on the seeded mythology of the Missonaria Protectiva, water sanctity, and sacred law in the Fremen, but I get that it's a film, and you can only do so much. And if I want to spend time with those particular concepts, the book is still right there for me to read. You have to cut some things. And a movie will never be a pop-up version of a book.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Dune Reply with quote

Today they announced that the Part Two movie was officially greenlighted based on opening weekend box office and HBO Max view numbers. The first novel will be finished, but it will be released 2023. (The director also plans to make a third film based on the second book.)

DougRed4 wrote:
Unlike my brother, I've never been a huge fan of Dune.

But I thought the movie was outstanding and very well done. I greatly enjoyed it! Cool

cheshire wrote:
I thought the film was a fabulous adaptation of the work. It had a fantastic score, excellent sound design (even if I was hearing it at the drive-in's FM radio). The director was heavily relying on "show, don't tell" for Paul's emotional connection to Idaho and Leto, something that I think Herbert struggled with. The film made really judicious cuts of the source material. Cuts had to be made, and some Dune aficionados dislike minimizing the Guild, and the banquet scene (for some reason). But with a sprawling, conceptual, character-driven work, you've got to make cuts. I think the director made all the rights cuts for a film of this length.

Down sides, sometimes the cuts involved Jessica's training of Paul, and the film struggled with who was the driving focus of the scene, and which of the two was going to exercise agency to get them out of trouble. As a result, sometimes Jessica waivered between seemingly helpless, and a a near-superhero. Also, they didn't really have their Checkov's gun that Jessica was every bit the fighter that anyone else was. The first time we saw her fight was when she bested Stilgar, which could have been seeded. Granted, these are pretty minor gripes.

I could be sore that they didn't spend much time on the seeded mythology of the Missonaria Protectiva, water sanctity, and sacred law in the Fremen, but I get that it's a film, and you can only do so much. And if I want to spend time with those particular concepts, the book is still right there for me to read. You have to cut some things. And a movie will never be a pop-up version of a book.

I loved the score. It was so Dune.

'Show, don't tell' really stood out to me, especially in light of the 1984 film that was exposition heavy. As someone familiar with the story I know what is missing, but I wonder about how many viewers who aren't familiar will really get into the film enough to read the novel.

I think some things were removed to be saved for the second film, like showing more of the Guild. And the Emperor and Princess Irulan didn't appear at all in Part One, so they will be free to cast actors as yet uninvolved with this production. They will likely be big names or up-and-coming actors, so they will be able to string casting news along as part of the hype machine for the second film.

I love Dune and I enjoyed this film, but watching this film still feels like Avengers: Infinity War without Endgame. And unfortunately, we have to wait even longer to get this Part Two. I plan to watch Part One one more time in the next few weeks, but I won't buy it or probably even watch it again until right before I see Part Two.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: