The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Commanding a Capital Ship in Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Commanding a Capital Ship in Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what regard are we taking, of course force abilities like battle meditation does impact a lot of people, but maybe alsoe particular people.

If we look at a normal chain of commad then a captain of a ship does very little as to micro manage, he does delegate management tasks to the individual officers under him, they in turn issue oders to the NCOs who in turn actually do the actual day to day.

Much like in the army, the NCO cops is the very back bone and what drives the army engine if you will.

So I can see a jedi commander use battlemeditation, on his crew, or parts of his crew, they will have bonues to either perfom the taks or bonues to their command and tactics or otther rlevant skills.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to revive this thread becuse I had maybe a thought that could be worth considering

keeping things simple and easy, and keeping the numbers low.

Now lets take the captain of a star destroyer, who does he actually directly command?

I would say his immiate subrdinate officers, they in turns pass orders to their subordinates etc etc etc.

meaning that nobody on the destroyer actually commands 1000s of people
but a captain rolling a good commad roll can give his subordinates a bonus to their command rolls when passin on the orders, and again a good roll gan give a little bonus down the ranks making it easier for the commader to pass on the captain's orders to his department officers.
the Engineering officer had a good command roll causing his department to increase efficincy, be it to lessen any penalties or give the department a bonus.
in this case with the engineering section, we could argue they manage to maintain engine power even though the Destroyer is damaged enough to normally suffer movement, or maybe this is far less a penalty.

I do remember when I was in the army that I rarely if ever even saw the higher ups, and this was anyone above company level.
even the company commander issued order to the platoon and squad leaders, not to every single soldier.

at times we were on parade, and the higher up made some statement or issued some general orders, but other than that nothing that impacted my day to day service and absolutely no micromanagement while in the field.

so I would say that even on a star destroyer no officer will ever issue direct orders to more than a handful of people, who in turn passes these on.

the command roll deciding how well the order is passed on
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically already doing that. If you look at all my ship stats, you'll see a notation for Command Difficulty Modifier in the House Rule Notes section. That's the modifier applied to the Difficulty for the Command skill to successfully command a capital ship of that level.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
...so I would say that even on a star destroyer no officer will ever issue direct orders to more than a handful of people, who in turn passes these on.

the command roll deciding how well the order is passed on

Capital ships have mostly been plot devices in my game so I haven't really rolled out capital ship combat much, but this is always the way I have thought about it. There is a chain of command, and each level of the command structure is interpreting the orders they receive and fine-tuning them for their underlings.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting some thought into this again, and I'm leaning toward not including a Command roll into actual combat at all, other than perhaps a single roll right at the beginning. The more I'm reading about day-to-day ship operations, the more obvious it becomes that the mechanics of forging a ship and its crew into a single unit takes place in the weeks or months leading up to the battle. Once the battle starts, the character would be restricted to using the ship's base stats, plus any crew quality bonuses. He'd be able to roll Tactics to generate transitory bonuses and advantages, and maybe some other skills (haven't decided yet), but that's it.

I've also been thinking of allowing the character to use multiple Command rolls to gradually improve the ship's Crew Quality modifier over the course of multiple campaigns, with the Command Difficulty ramping up to match.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested to see what you come up with. When it is on working order I can put it to some playtesting with my group.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I am interested to see what you come up with. When it is on working order I can put it to some playtesting with my group.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. The basic premise is formed, but I need to put some thought into the details. Can you describe what sort of campaign you're looking to run? Might help me get thinking in the right direction.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a campaign set 10 years prior to A New Hope. There is an NPC Captain commanding a Victory II Star Destroyer who intervenes from time to time to help against major threats, but the players include a captain commanding a Carrack-class light cruiser, a character researching cybernetic advancements to create superwarriors who commands a Nebulon B Frigate (I know it might be a little early for this ship based on the era), and a Customs Agent commanding an Intersector Sloop fir small scale operations, boarding actions, and support.

The campaign includes ship to ship actions, sometimes including several capital ships and starfighter support. I have been using squadron rules for the starfighters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the general tempo of your games? Is there a lot of straight capital ship combat, or is it interspersed with personal interaction and small team missions?

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with strictly capital ship battles, but it has evolved to include everything - boarding missions, starfighter dogfights, intrigue and deception, personal dialogue, investigation and interrogation, (even as Imperials, they have even been the subjects of interrogation from members of the ISB and an inquisitor), small scale personal combat, customs inspections, large scale battles - a little bit of everything. When it is not appropriate for all the players characters to participate in a specific game, there is a stable of NPCs that they can use and improve.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will require some thought...

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pressure. I am a willing playtester whenever you have some proposed rule ideas...
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
My only quibble (and this is a D6-in-general thing, not specific to this thread) is that its hard to come up with benefits that aren't just bonuses on rolls.

Some options that other systems use include re-rolls, additional actions, and bonuses to rolls that cannot normally be raised (such as initiative or a basic perception check or a sstrenght roll for damage, etc)

Grabbing on old comment that echoes one of my comments, some non-dice bonuses for good command rolls could be increased Rate of Fire fir weapons, increasing sensor ranges or the amount if detail gained from a sensor scan, increasing morale of the crew (decreasing future command rolls), and increasing the Perception for opposed initiative rolls against enemy captains, to name few.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Grabbing on old comment that echoes one of my comments, some non-dice bonuses for good command rolls could be increased Rate of Fire fir weapons, increasing sensor ranges or the amount if detail gained from a sensor scan, increasing morale of the crew (decreasing future command rolls), and increasing the Perception for opposed initiative rolls against enemy captains, to name few.

A lot of this stuff is already effectively covered by skill dice bonuses. A lot of what you suggest (or at least something similar to it) I have earmarked for incorporation into an improved write-up of the Tactics skill from the 1E Rules Companion. My plan is to replace the "1-10 = +1D to Initiative" result with a D6 Chart, with options like +1D to Initiative, +1D to Gunnery, +1D to Shields, +1D to Piloting, etc. The commander who gets this result of either choosing one specific result or making two rolls on the table for random bonuses. This, in turn, will be stacked with the Anticipate (Redeclare) and Surprise results, depending on how well the commander rolls on Tactics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: