The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Commanding a Capital Ship in Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Commanding a Capital Ship in Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too picky, but you've got 110% there, garhk.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used the RAW full crew / skeleton crew stat in a game? It doesn't seem very well thought out; you have X amount of crew, but if you get down to Y amount of skeleton crew, all your rolls to pilot the ship increase by Z, but if you go below Z, you can't operate the ship at all. It seems to generate more questions than it answers. Does that mean that an Imperial Star Destroyer with its 36,755 crew can operate without penalty with just 5,001 crew, but as soon as it drops to 5,000, the difficulty for all actions shoots up by +20?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

edited due to calculation error.

Shocked Laughing Laughing

Toooo funny.

On a side note, I know not all chips have a star fighter corps, but which ones do (outside of the obvious). Also, are there any "air craft carrier" type ships that have a larger than normal star fighter corps at the cost of other elements?

I assume this is easy to find in the book, but still I don't have any (I do hope to change it today, I'm headed to Tulsa and 2-3 different used book stores, soooooo ... )

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm at a dead end. I've got a system that I like established to represent a ship taking crew casualties when it takes damage, but when I try to come up with a good rule to simulate some of those crew being returned to battle, I'm drawing a blank. The closest I have come is using a secondary percentage to break down the ship's casualties by killed/missing, injured and trapped, and use percentages to represent that.

For example, if the Star Destroyer in the previous example took 55% casualties (20,397, rounded up) 10D% of those casualties will have been killed, 10D% of them will have been injured, and the remainder will be trapped and later rescued. Rolling those percentages (against 55%) breaks the total casualties down to 20% fatalities, 23% injuries and 12% trapped. Of the three categories, two are relatively easy to solve: the dead are beyond saving, and the living uninjured can be returned to duty relatively quickly (probably subject to the initial Capital Ship Repair rolls post-combat), so this leaves what to do with the injured. How quickly will they be healed and able to return to duty? What is the breakdown of Wounded / Incapacitated / Mortally Wounded, and at what rate will those beings be able to return to duty, and how soon?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
On a side note, I know not all chips have a star fighter corps, but which ones do (outside of the obvious). Also, are there any "air craft carrier" type ships that have a larger than normal star fighter corps at the cost of other elements?

Even those that do will not have the same percentages. If a ship has a single squadron as opposed to a full wing, the ship's air ops and wing personnel will be correspondingly smaller. IMO, there will be too much fluctuation in the percentages for it to be really useful, and I'm going in a different direction.

Quote:
I assume this is easy to find in the book, but still I don't have any (I do hope to change it today, I'm headed to Tulsa and 2-3 different used book stores, soooooo ... )

I highly recommend eBay or Amazon. A lot of used book stores will have their product available on line through either of those websites. If that doesn't pan out, a Google search will turn up a lot of the smaller sellers who have their own websites. I have a nearly complete hardcopy collection (I don't feel like shelling out money for Galaxy Guides 1, 3 and 5 when all of that information can be found in the Special Edition Trilogy Sourcebook), and 3/4th's of my books were bought on line.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Capital Ship Repair is missing from the crew skills of pretty much all ships, what would be a good baseline? Should it be equal to Piloting? Shields? Some other factor?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this topic has come up more than once recently, so I figured I'd give it a bump. I've been wanting to update and consolidate what I have, as the topic is somewhat disjointed, and there are additional ideas scattered around the forum that would be applicable here. I'm going to be working on this tonight, but if anyone is interested, let me know what you think or what you would like to see.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converting Existing Stats
Step 1: Generate a Command Difficulty Modifier for a ship, based on crew size. Use the following tables:
    Crew Size (including gunners) = Command Difficulty
    1-19 = +1
    20-39 = +2
    40-59 = +3
    60-79 = +4
    80-99 = +5
    100-279 = +6
    280-459 = +7
    460-639 = +8
    640-819 = +9
    820-999 = +10
    1,000-2,799 = +11
    2,800-4,599 = +12
    4,600-6,399 = +13
    6,400-8,199 = +14
    8,200-9,999 = +15
    10,000-27,999 = +16
    28,000-45,999 = +17
    46,000-63,999 = +18
    64,000-81,999 = +19
    82,000-99,999 = +20
    100,000-189,999 = +21
    190,000-279,999 = +22
    280,000-369,999 = +23
    370,000-459,999 = +24
    460,000-549,999 = +25
    550,000-639,999 = +26
    640,000-729,999 = +27
    730,000-819,999 = +28
    820,000-909,999 = +29
    910,000-999,999 = +20
    1,000,000+ = +31
The modifier is applied to Difficulties listed under the Command Skill. Under normal circumstances, a Ship Captain's Base Difficulty is Very Easy, but circumstances can modify it up or down.

Using the previous examples and adjusting the difficulty gives the following results:
    Super Star Destroyer (280,734) = +23
    Imperial I Star Destroyer (37,085) = +17
    MC80 Cruiser (5,402) = +13
    Victory I Star Destroyer (5,200) = +13
    Nebulon B Frigate (920) = +10

Step 2: Generate a Crew Quality Modifier.
This modifier is applied to the ship's Crew Skill dice to represent the relative shift in the crew's proficiency at their duties. The modifier can be applied to all of the ship's Crew Skill, or to some and not others at GM discretion.

Rookie = -1D
    Regular = +0D
    Veteran = +1D
    Elite = +2D
    Hand-Picked Elite = +3D
If you wish to generate a Crew Quality Modifier for a Random Encounter, roll a D6 on the following table:
    1-2 = Rookie
    3-5 = Regular
    6 = Roll D6 Again:
      1-3 = Veteran
      4-5 = Elite
      6 = Hand-Picked Elite

EDIT: Added Random Quality Table.

EDIT: Changed the Command Difficulty Table to a Command Difficulty Modifier Table.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I don't want to derail, so we can move to another topic if appropriate, but I think this fits:

Are we assuming that a capital ship cannot be operated without a commamder?

I mean, what halpens if the commander fails his role or else is killed (lets say the top three or four guys on the ship are taken out in a surgical strike or by Darth Vader or whatever).

In any case, can a ship function without its commander?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Are we assuming that a capital ship cannot be operated without a commamder?

I mean, what halpens if the commander fails his role or else is killed (lets say the top three or four guys on the ship are taken out in a surgical strike or by Darth Vader or whatever).

In any case, can a ship function without its commander?

I'm thinking No. To function in combat, a ship needs somebody making decisions, and updating those decisions as the combat circumstances change. If the ship's chain of command is completely wiped out, the various sections may continue to follow their previous orders, but would have to recognize the loss of command and control and act on their own initiative.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how is it handled in-game? Can the pilot not "dodge" or the gunners not shoot at new targets of opportunity?

Does the crew require a comma d roll just to use their base stats?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
But how is it handled in-game? Can the pilot not "dodge" or the gunners not shoot at new targets of opportunity?

Does the crew require a comma d roll just to use their base stats?

I would think, that they are unable to coordinate.
Gunners can cire at things in thier field of fire, but may not be able to determine friend or foe due to lack of continuous sensor data.
Engineering techs would be able to prep the hyperdrive, but unable to plot a course.
Anything that would require data from another section oo the ship would be hindered until a backup C&C could be set up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Individuals or small groups may be able to coordinate when performing their specific tasks, but for the ship to function as a whole, it requires someone giving orders.

The goal of this rule is not to determine the resolution of how those small groups (presumably PCs) resolve their issues; that would be situation specific, and more focused on their individual parts, with the rest of the battle happening in the background.

The idea here, however, is to develop a rule that allows a single character (or small group of characters) to function as the command team of a capital ship, much like how a group of PCs might act as the crew of a space transport, except that in this case, rather than piloting or shooting themselves, they are acting as the OIC of that particular division of the ship's operations. Alternately, it will allow each individual PC to act as the captain of a separate vessel, each operating in concert.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some additional (mostly situational) modifiers that can be applied to the base difficulty:
    +5 if Captain is Untried (No Combat Experience)
    +5 if Captain has been in command of the ship for less than 1 month (negated if Captain has a successful combat victory within that month)
    -5 if Captain is trusted by the crew (up to three sequential combat victories)
    -10 if Captain is revered by the crew (more than three sequential combat victories)
    +5 if ship is outnumbered or outgunned
    +5 if ship is under fire
    +10 if ship is Heavily Damaged
    +15 if ship is Severely Damaged

EDIT: For example, a Nebulon B Frigate would have a base Command Difficulty of Easy. However, if you throw in a captain who is new to command, the difficulty goes up to Moderate.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Effects of the Command Skill
It is not realistic to assume that an order will not be carried out just because the OIC bungled the order. As such, the Command roll is rolled against the ship's Command Difficulty to generate a modifier which is then applied to the appropriate skill:
    Command Roll > Difficulty by = Bonus
    0-2 = No bonus
    3-5 = +1
    6-8 = +2
    9-11 = +1D
    12-14 = +1D+1
    15-17 = +1D+2
    18+ = +2D
    Add 1 pip to bonus for every additional three points of roll success.

Command Roll < Difficulty by = Bonus
    1-3 = -1
    4-6 = -2
    7-9 = -1D
    10-12 = -1D+1
    13-15 = -1D+2
    Add 1 pip to penalty for every additional three points of roll failure.
EDIT: So, using the same Nebulon B as above (Moderate Difficulty), the Captain (with a Command of 5D) gives an order, rolling his Command skill for a result of 19. Since 19 beats the base difficulty of 15 by 4 points, the roll generates a +1 bonus which is then applied to the Crew Skill roll to perform the specified action.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: